The Show Must Go On

The Show Must Go On

It was all an impulse. Frank was in the corner of his eye, close enough just to reach out and grab. And that’s what he did. Reached out, grabbed hold of a handful of hair and pulled the guitarist closer. The microphone crashed against the other man’s chest as Gerard pressed his lips against Frank’s, fiercely, viciously and completely unplanned. The intensity was returned after only half a second of surprise from the other before Frank had realised what was going on. Gerard forced his tongue into Frank’s mouth, the noise from the raving audience blocked out for the few moments when Frank was all he saw, felt and heard. The hand in the other man’s hair pressed their lips together tighter, harder, as tongue met tongue with a confirmation that there was more to be had.

But there was a show to attend to. After but a few seconds, both too long and far too short, Gerard pushed away from the guitarist, away from the intensity of the contact, back into the intensity on the stage. The crowd was roaring; whether with heightened excitement or not, Gerard couldn’t tell. Bringing the microphone to his mouth, it was a split second before he started belting out the chorus to ‘Helena’;

What’s the worst thing I could say?
Things are better if I stay
So long and good night
So long and good night...


Frank’s guitar didn’t miss a beat. Professional. Perhaps Gerard was less so. But the crowd wouldn’t think it odd – no, those kids savoured things like that forever. Personally, Gerard could have gone on and not given a fuck about those kids. But they were on stage and, as the saying goes...

The show must go on.
♠ ♠ ♠
A quick little something inspired by a YouTube vid. Wanted some more formatting in there, but apparently BB code won't have that...