Trapped in This Story Called Life

I'm Not Jealous

Professor Dumbledore stood up and smiled at everyone. "To those of you returning, welcome back. Those of you who are new, welcome. I would like to say a few words, before we begin our feast. First years should note, that the dark forest is forbidden to all students, and some of the older students would do well to remember that."

I saw Professor Dumbledore's eyes flash toward the Marauders, who pretended to look innocent.

"I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridor. Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of term. Anyone interested in playing for their house team, should contact the quidditch captain of their house."

I rolled my eyes as James puffed out his chest.

"And finally, after getting numerous requests by a certain group of young ladies," Professor Dumbledore paused, glancing at us. "Hogwarts will have it's first halloween ball. More details will be provided in October. That is all."

As the Great Hall erupted in whispers, Professor Dumbledore waved his hand and food appeared on the four tables.

"It's a shame the start of term begins tomorrow." Sirius said, taking a bite out of a chicken leg.

"For Merlin's sake, Sirius, chew your food." Camilla scolded him.

"Don't worry Padfoot, the start of term means a whole new year with some new pranks."

"I hope you're not going to do anything so idiotic that you'll get yourselves expelled, Potter." Lily said, glaring at James.

"My dear flower, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you were worried about me." James said, smiling and ruffling his hair.

"In your dreams, Potter. I'm just worried about poor Remus' well being." Lily sneered.

"-ha ha, and then she pushed open the door and a bucket of dead fish fell on top of her." Camilla finished, causing us all to go into a fit of laugher.

We had come up from the feast a long time ago. We were sitting in the girls dormitory, in our pajamas, reminiscing about the past. We did this every year. It was kind of like a slumber party. We were the only Gryffindor females in our year, so it wasn't a problem. That's one of the reason we became such great friends.

"Anyway, how brilliant was it that Dumbledore finally heeded to our request of a halloween ball. I mean, we've only been asking since second year." Kristy said as she grabbed a handful of popcorn.

"Yeah, we'll have to look about our costumes early so no one steals our ideas and we'll need dates." I said. "But that's not for another month."

"I know who you could go with, Julia." Lily said, smiling.

I raised an eyebrow. "Who?"

"Remus." Lily replied, in a sing song voice.

I felt my face grow hot and was glad for the silencing charm put on the room. "Shut up." I mumbled.

"Aw, that's right! Julia fancies Remus." Camilla said, bouncing slightly. "Since third year, I think."

"Did you see the looks they were giving each other on the train?" Lily asked.

I had hidden my face in my pillow, but I feared it would catch on fire by the amount of heat radiating off my face. I hate it when they talk about my love life.

"Julia Lupin, it sounds cute." Kristy said, giggling.

"Don't worry Julia, I think Remus fancies you too." Lily said.

I turned my head toward her. "I doubt that very much. I'm so... me and he's so..." I trailed off trying to find the right word.

"Him?" Kristy pitched in.

"Yeah... what I mean is, he's a perfect gentleman with amazing grades and I'd rather play quidditch than act lady like."

"Besides, you've got a little competition." Camilla said.

"What do you mean?" Lily asked.

"You remember Ashley Larkson? Apparently she has developed a fancy for Remus."

"How do you know?" Kristy asked.

"I remember her talking about it while we were walking up the stairs." Camilla replied.

"Well there goes my chances. She's a Ravenclaw, she probably has more in common with him that I would." I said, shrugging. "Oh well."

"Julia, you shouldn't think like that." Kristy said.

I smiled. "It doesn't matter."

"Don't worry Julia." Camilla said.

"I'm not worried." I said.

"There is no reason to be jealous, I'm pretty sure Remus doesn't like her." Camilla continued.

"I'm not jealous." I replied, maybe a little too defensively.

Camilla gave me a look. "Okay, if you say so."

"I think we should go to bed now, we do have to get up early." Lily commented.

We cleaned up the dormitory and climbed into our beds.

"Goodnight!" We all chorused as Kristy, who was closest to the door, turned off the lights.

"Come on Camilla, we're going to be late for breakfast if you stay in there any longer." Kristy whined from her spot on the bed.

I was leaning against the dormitory door, while Lily stood in the bathroom doorway, trying to coax Camilla to come out of the bathroom. We were all dressed, but we were waiting for Camilla to come out.

"Hold on, just a few more touch ups and voila!" Camilla said, stepping out of the bathroom.

"Good! You look great, can we go eat now?" Kristy whined.

I saw Camilla give me a look. "I'm not jealous."

Camilla smiled secretly. "I didn't say you were, hun."

"I know what you were thinking and I'm not!"

"Whatever you say, Jul."

I opened the door and we made our way to the stairs. When we got to the common room, the guys were already waiting .

"Finally, if we had to wait for you any longer, we'd be extinct." Sirius said, standing up and stretching.

"If you were extint, it wouldn't be a great lost to humanity." Camilla commented.

I laughed quietly as we exited the portrait. I stayed toward the back of the group. I guess I wasn't feeling very social this morning. You see, I'm not feeling social, that has nothing to do with jealousy. I think the news about Ashley's crush on Remus was really taking more of a toll on me than I originally thought. I'm just surprised she fancies him, not jealous. I down casted my head, my feet already knew where to go.How could I compete with that? Scratch that, I'm not jealous. Sure, she was tall with golden brown hair and sparkling blue eyes. Sure, she was beautiful and smart. Sure she was the total package and I was just, well, me. That doesn't mean I'm jealous. Okay, she probably had a lot in common with him. I snorted in my head. The only thing I had in common with him was our house, our year and our friends, I'm not jealous.

"Hey."

I felt heated breath on my neck and I flushed. I looked up, straight into the concern eyes of Remus. We were on the main floor already, walking toward the Great Hall.

"Are you alright?" He asked, walking beside me.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and smiled slightly. "I'm okay. I guess I'm not feeling like myself."

Remus stopped me right outside the Great Hall. He put his hand on my wrist, pulling me closer so his other hand could feel my forehead. "Well, it doesn't feel like you have a fever, are you sure you don't want to go see the nurse?"

I pushed his hand away, gently and separated myself from him. I shook my head. "I'm fine, don't worry."

I turned and walked into the Great Hall. I walked down the Gryffindor table and sat in between Lily and Kristy. Remus joined the table a few seconds later, taking a seat beside James. As soon as he sat down, James and Remus started talking in hushed whispers. I felt a small nudge in my side and turned to Lily.

"So, how was it?" Lily asked, keeping her voice low.

"How was what?" I asked, confused.

"I saw you chatting with Remus." Lily said, raising an eyebrow.

"I always talk to Remus." I laughed. "Lily, you're blowing this way out of proportion." Lily gave me the same look Camilla gave me earlier. " And I'm not jealous."

"Hello sixth years!"

We all turned to see Emily Holmes. She was a seventh year prefect. She had short black hair and pale green eyes. She pulled out eight pieces of paper from the pile she had.

"Here are your schedule, have a good year."

She continued down the table handing out schedule. I felt my schedule being plucked out of my hand. Lily looked over our schedules, while Remus looked over the guys.

"Well, it seems Kristy and Camilla have all the same classes together, while Julia and I have all the same classes together." Lily said, spreading the schedules on the table. "But we all have Potions, Care of Magical Creatures, History of Magic, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Transfigurations and Charms together."

Lily looked up and saw the guys had finished also. Lily and Remus traded schedule and looked them over. I didn't pay too much attention to it, but apparently, Sirius and Peter had the same classes as Kristy and Camilla, while James and Remus had the same classes as Lily and myself. Just great... note the sarcasm.

"Come on you lot," I said standing up, "we better start heading to class."

I started walking out of the Great Hall, when I felt an arm link with mine. Camilla pulled me aside.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She asked as she put my head on her shoulder. "Tell Cami all about it."

"But that's the problem. I don't know what's wrong with me."

"Is this about Ashley?" Camilla asked.

"I don't know, maybe. I'm not sure. No." I replied, shrugging my shoulder.

"Sweetie, you're not making any sense." Camilla said, confused.

"I know, I'm confusing myself." I sighed.

"I think you're a little jealous." Camilla said.

"I'm not jealous!" I said, glaring at her slightly.

"Are you okay, Jul?" James asked, coming out of the Great Hall with our group.

I nodded. "I'm fine, I'm just tired."

"Well we better head to class, we'll see you guys in History of Magic." Lily said.

Camilla walked over and whispered something to Kristy and Lily, who looked at me as if agreeing with something. I glared. I am not jealous. We waved goodbye to Sirius, Peter, Kristy and Camilla, who were heading to Divination. Lily and I walked behind Remus and James.

"I think they're talking about us." Lily whispered, pointing to James and Remus.

"Why would you say that?" I asked.

"They keep looking back here." Lily said as Remus glanced back at us.

"They're probably wondering why we're walking so far behind." I replied.

"Out of my way!" Someone said from behind me. I turned around to meet the glare of Ashley Larkinson. "Are you deaf or something? I said out of my way." I stepped to the side to let her and two of her friends pass. She walked over to Remus and James. "Hi Remus!"

Remus and James turned around, surprised. "Oh, hi Ashley. Where are you off to?"

She giggled. "To class silly. What class are you heading to?"

"Arithmancy." Remus replied.

"What a coincidence, so are we!" Ashley said, pointing to her other two friends.

"Really?!" Remus asked, sounding surprised. "James, Julia and Lily have Arithmancy too." Remus said, pointing to each of us. "Why are you two walking so far behind us?" Remus asked, stopping with James to wait for us.

Ashley and her friends stopped and glared at us.

"Because your bitch clearly has a problem with us being near you." I muttered my answer.

Lily hit me on the arm, gently. She gave me a knowing look, but I shook my head. I was not jealous. When Lily and I were close to them, I mumbled a thank you to Remus, but slid beside James. Remus looked a little surprised, but I didn't pay attention to it. If he wanted to talk and be friendly with Ashley, that's his problem. I'm not jealous at all.

When we finally got to Arithmancy class, I sat beside Lily in the two seater desk. James and Remus sat at the two seater beside us, on my right, and Ashley and one of her friends took the desk in front of Remus and James. And since the classroom was elevated, like a muggle university, every time Ashley leaned back in her seat, which she did a lot, it gave Remus and James a perfect view, down her shirt. Halfway through class, Lily had to take my paper away because I kept drawing Ashely being burned at the stake. I shrugged. Okay, so maybe I was a little jealous.