On the Road

"G...girlfriend?"

Kristen walked into her home later that evening, feeling satisfied with the way things had gone with the guys. Kristen set her keys down on the hall table, and slung her jacket over a dining room chair.

"Jake?" she called out to her brother.

"In here, Kris," he called back from the family room, where he was playing video games. She followed her brother's voice to the room at the back of the house. She sat down next to her brother on the couch. He shut off the game, and set the controller on the coffee table.

"So, how'd it go?" he asked.

Kristen smiled. "It was awesome! They really like me!"

"Kris, that's great!" Jake said.

"Yeah. I played for them, and they thought I was great. And Gabriel has such an amazing voice, and Mark is..well a bit of an asshole really, but then there's Ryan, who is amazing at guitar, and Blake. Ohmygosh, Blake is great, he drums so well, his arms, ohmy, his arms..."

Jake raised his eyebrows. "A boy, huh? Is that such a good idea? I mean, you're going to be working together and all..."

"Pft. What are you talking about, Jake?" Kristen said, rolling her eyes. "I don't like Blake."

"Whatever. I wanted to talk to you about something..." he says, hesitating.

"What is it?" She asks.

"Well, you're getting alot older now, and the job at the grocery store is starting to get old. I was thinking of," he says pausing. "I already applied to a few, and well, I was thinking I might go back to school, and finally graduate.

Kristen's heart fluttered, and she smiled. She was sincerely happy for her brother. "Jake, that's awesome!"

Jake was only two years shy of graduation when their parents died. Kris was still only a child, and without any relatives, or any desire of being thrust into foster care, Jake dropped out of school to get a job and take care of his sister.

"Are you sure?" he asks. "I mean, I won't be home much, and-"

Kristen cut him off. "Jake, really. I'm eighteen. I think I can take care of myself. Besides, when this whole band thing finally works out, I'll be off touring the world!"

Jake just laughs.

Later that night, Kristen is laying face first on her bed, reading the latest issue of Motorcycle Magazine, when she hears Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. She grabs her cell phone off the night table. She doesn't recognize the number.

"Hello?" she asks.

"Kristen? Hey, it's Blake!" a voice on the other end replies.

"Blake? Hey!" she says, her stomach doing flips.

"Yeah, sorry if I'm interrupting. I got your number from Gabriel."

"Cool. So...what's up?" she asks, wondering why he called.

"I just wanted to formally welcome you to the band! And...apologize. Sorry about the way Mark was acting today. He's just too stubborn to admit that there's a chick kickass enough to be in our band." he laughs. "We're all looking forward to getting to know you better."

"Thanks. I'm looking forward to getting to know you too!" she exclaims, a little too excitedly. She slaps her hand to her forehead. "Getting to know the whole band, I mean."

"That's great! And I'm sure Jasmine won't mind having you around, either,"

"Jasmine?"

"Yeah, my girlfriend."

"G...girlfriend?" Kristen's heart sunk.

"Yeah, she comes to most rehearsals, so you'll see alot of eachother."

"Great!" Kristen lies, gritting her teeth. "I'm looking forward to it."

"I'm sure she's looking forward to it too, being in the prescence of another female, for once."

"Huh, yeah,"

"Anyways. I won't keep you. See you at the next practice!"

"Yeah, later,"

"Bye!" The line goes dead.