Waverly Hills

Waverly Hills- Chapter 8

I sat on my bed thinking so hard about the topic in my bed that soon enough my brain was sore.
Ever since I had gotten to see the doctor, I thought about the disease, the people infected with it, and.....what happened after the tuberculosis finally took hold of you and you left the world of pain and suffering to finally peace and a feeling of pain no more.
'What did happen to the bodies when they finally died?' I kept on thinking to myself. 'Are they buried? No, no one would have time to bury the bodies at this rate of three bodies dying now every hour. And if the bodies were buried miraculously, then sooner or later I would have found out. But over the two months that I have been here, it has just seemed that someone dies, and then the bodies are taken away by a nurse and you never see them again. But.....they have had to have done something to the bodies!'
By that time, I was so tired and frustrated of thinking about that that I was ready to scream at the nurses wanting to know what the hell is going on?!
It was dinner time now, and James has gone to eat, but I stayed back, and then, being the good friend she is, Annie stayed behind too, not wanting to leave me.
As we waited, lying in our seperate beds for the 30 minutes to pass by when everyone came back, the awful subject came back in my head, and finally, not taking it anymore turned to Annie, and said, "Can you talk to me?"
Annie looked at me confused at first, then nodded, and put down the book she was reading.
"What is wrong?" she asked.
I didn't know how to describe the way I felt. "Umm...well, you know how people have been dying every now and then? They just die, and then....they are taken away."
Annie nodded again slowler this time, not fully understanding why I brought this up.
"Well....have you ever wondered what happens to them? The bodies, I mean. Where are they taken when they finally pass away?"
There was silence as Annie thought for a moment, and then she just shrugged. "I don't know. Probably buried since that is the traditional way to do to dead corpses."
"But thats impossible!" I said to her matter-of-factly. "Have you seen how many people are dying everyday? Mostly three people die an hour. There is no way that the staff can bury that many a people without us finding out."
"Well, you are asking the wrong person Mary. I don't know more than you do."
"But don't you want to find out?" I asked her bewildered, sitting up more and more on my bed. "Don't you want to find out at least what happens to us when we die?!"
"No!" Annie exclaimed, now looking a little annoyed, and startling me.
"Why would I want to find out what happens to me when I die? When I die, that's it! I am dead, and I don't care if they put me in a box and shipped of to Tibequador! I am dead! I will be in a better place anyway!"
"You don't know that." I said as calm as possible, and Annie looked at me as if I am crazy. "You don't know what happens when you die! No one has proof of what happens when they die, so how could you say that?"
"You have no right to say that to me!" Annie yelled at me, anger in her eyes now. "I believe in that there is a better place, so you have no right to lecture me on that! I don't want to know what happens when I die, and that is final!"
Then Annie turned away from me, and kept on reading her book.
I just looked at her, tears started to form in my eyes.
How could she say that to me? We were friends, and I didn't know that she felt that way.
So, I just sat there in my bed, waiting for the clock to toll 8 o'clock.

Finally, footsteps could be heard through the hallways as people filed back to their beds.
By that time when James came back from dinner, tears were still visible on my cheeks, and Annie has alreadly fallen asleep, her book placed on her lap.
If we weren't in a fight, I would have putten the book back in her room, like I always had, but I just let it lay there.
"What's wrong?" James asked when he saw the look on my face.
I quickly brushed the tears off my face. "Nothing, nothing" I said, trying to smile, but it looked more like I was disgusted when I tried.
"Oh, okay." He replied back to me, and sat on his bed facing me.
I thought for a moment, wondering if I should tell him about what I was thinking for the past days.
"Umm...James?" I asked.
He looked at me. "Yeah?" he asked.
"Do you wonder what happens with the bodies when they are taken away?" I asked him, and at first I was afraid he was going to yell at me too like Annie.
But in fact, he just nodded. "Yeah, I have been thinking about that."
"Me too." I said, and then there was silence between us.
"I have been wanting to find out so bad." I told him.
James just nodded and then his eyes widened. "Hey, I have noticed that at about 9:30, all the staff people are in bed."
"Really?" I asked.
James nodded.
"Maybe we can look around when they are asleep."
I looked at him suspiciously. "We might get in trouble though."
"What can they do to us? Give us tuberculosis?" James asked, and I smiled at his joke.
I just nodded agreeably.
"Okay, so around 9:30 we will look around." James told me.
"Okay." I replied.
James smiled, and then, "Goodnight Mary."
I smiled back at him, "Goodnight James."
And then even though it seemed forever, before I knew it, I was fast asleep.