Status: I haven't the heart to delete this after committing so much time to it, but I don't have the desire or time to update it either, so it will remain unfinished until further notice.

Green Day Saves the Day

2070

Thousands of lights flashed as brilliant, green sparks flew into the dark sky simultaneously. The shrill cries of tens of thousands of girls pierced the warm summer air. Then, they arrived (via helicopter, to be exact)--three young rock stars, each 25 years old and sporting brightly colored hair. They were Green Day. Well, one of 213 Green Day tribute bands, anyway.

In the early 2040s music began to follow the fate of early 2000 movies; people just stopped coming up with new material. Now, everything was just a tribute, a cover, a remake. A new song hadn't been written in decades. The last of the original bands had died out or retired years ago, leaving copycats and tribute bands to mercilessly dominate the music industry.

The three band members--Robb, Dré, and Minty--were welcomed with another explosion of shrieks and applause as they graced the enormous stage. They started the concert as they did every other: Green Day's Basket Case. Robb strummed his electric guitar listlessly and practically yawned the lyrics. "Do you have the time to listen to me whine?..."

The audience instinctively began to sing along. They had all heard this song--this song that some of their most distant relatives had heard for the first time well over 70 years ago--hundreds of times. The glitzy pyrotechnics and the band members' sex appeal distracted everyone in the audience. However, some beings failed to be impressed.

In an entirely different realm where only souls could wander, the spirits of the finest original musicians of the past groaned as they suffered through another trite cover of what used to be a classic pop-punk song.

"If I hear Basket Case ONE more time...!"

"What is this, the millionth Green Day tribute band?"

"That's being generous."

Although the spirits had the luxury of doing and having whatever they wanted, periodically they had to suffer through Earth concerts. While the majority of the population watched 'Green Day cover band number 86' perform in a large rippling pool--a window into the physical realm--a single spirit spoke out.

"Aw, come on, this stuff isn't so bad. It did sound a hell of a lot better when I sang it, though."