Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

This New Path

I couldn't help but to keep nibbling on my lip as I walked with Thraxx through the halls. His, ah . . presence seemed to be heavier than everyone else's and it had the little hairs on the back of my neck standing at attention. He walked just in front of me so I could see the tension that held his shoulders tight as he passed from room to room. His power was down right frightening right now. I just wanted to curl around his feet and rub my head against his leg. This was not good. Things didn't get better when everyone, and I do mean everyone, stopped and stared, whispering to each other about me. Seems like news of the fight traveled fast. It was like with every whisper Thraxx's power kicked it up a notch. I was fighting back the urge to whimper at him.

Thraxx hadn't said a word to me yet and I was starting to wonder if I should say something first. I mean we will be working together so we might as well start off on a good note. Plus, maybe if I got him talking I would get used to the feelings he caused in me. I waited until we started climbing the main stairs, where there was less people, before deciding to break the thick silence.

"So," I started, "How long have you been a guard here?"

Thats basic right? Easy. Start off easy and with the basic. Slow too. Don't need to rush things. It's better to take things slow. Oh crap I'm rambling inside my head now. Way to go Marlee.

Thraxx threw a glance over his shoulder at me, his face a blank. Which gives me a lot to go on. Not. He was silent for a minute and I lowered my head thinking he'd just ignore me and that I'd failed at an attempt to create a good working relationship with him when he finally spoke.

"I've been here for eight years." His voice was strained, like he was forcing the words out.

Was it that hard for him to answer a freaking question? Let's try another.

"You don't look that old, how old are you?" Come on, eight years? surely not.

He blew out a quiet sigh, "I'm twenty-five, and yourself?"

Oh goody! He's getting the hang of a conversation and actually asking me questions. Let's see how far this will go.

"Just turned twenty last month." A smile grew on my face as I remembered my birthday, "Have you always been the, um, Alpha?" The word was still a little strange for me to use.

"No," The tension didn't leak out into his voice as much now, which was a good thing because his power dropped in intensity too, "I've only been Alpha for six years now."

"Oh."

Doing the quick math in my head I figured out that he'd been here since he was seventeen and became the Alpha around nineteen. Was that young for an Alpha? I thought so but I wasn't about to ask. I already looked like I didn't know what I was doing to these people, I wasn't going to give them another reason to think that.

"Only one more flight left." He informed me as we rounded on another set on stairs.
I nodded and continued up after him, trying to think of something to say to keep the conversation going.

"How is it working for Vaunders? I mean, what exactly do we do?"

His shoulders tensed at the word 'we' which, as I could see through his tight t-shirt, made the muscles in his back tense also. Well, one thing's for sure he was really good eye-candy. I felt my lips widen into a smirk before I gave myself a mental head smack. I was not here for eye-candy. I was here for a job.

"We begin everyday, except Sundays, at 12:30. The Lord usually stays in the house all day so you'll most likely be bored out of your mind sitting around. But you've got to remember to stay alert no matter what. Towards dusk he has a walk around the grounds to make sure everything is running smoothly. once he feels everything is going well he'll be in his office until he goes to bed. Whatever you hear the Lord talking about stays in that room, you don't repeat anything to anyone. If there is something you need to discuss, talk to me about it, no one else. He's an older Vamp so he's in bed by 10 every night. We take a quick scan of the house to make sure there is no one here that shouldn't be and then were free for the rest of the night."

We came to the final floor and started down the hallway.

"And we stay in Wolf form almost all day?" I asked, biting my lip.

"Yeah. All of our senses are better in that form."

"I know that." I lowered my head and silently followed Thraxx until he stopped in front of a door and turned to me.

"Is something the matter?" He questioned.

"Umm, I just have a question really." I hedged, biting my lip again. looking him over for any signs of the Wolf, but i couldn't see any.

"Yes?" He urged.

"Since we're in Wolf form for so long does it, I mean wouldn't we get stuck in that form or like have some part of us as the wolf always? Kind of like when you were a kid and your mother would say that if you kept making funny faces, your face would eventually get stuck like that? Not that thats true! But I mean is will that happen? Though you don't seem to have any side effects form being in Wolf form for that long."

Damn, I was rambling again. that's right Marlee make a fool of yourself in front of the incredibly handsome man that has a very alluring power about him that your attracted to. I sighed.

The side of Thraxx's mouth twitched for a moment and I could see his eyes begin to sparkle in a smile. great, he's trying not to laugh at me. God!

"No, we can stay in Wolf form at long lengths of time and there won't be any side effects. Not even our eyes will change, like it says in some stories." He Explained.

"Oh. Well thats good." I didn't know what to say. Though I could tell he was holding in a laugh, he didn't actually laugh at me nor did he make fun of my lack of knowledge, like I half expected him to. No, instead he calmly laid it out there for me. I smiled at him in thanks.

He gave a small one in return and gestured to the door we had stopped next to, "Welcome to your New room."

I looked at the door. It was a plain white, wooden door. Some trimming around the edges but nothing fancy. I looked back to the hallway and noticed two other doors on this floor. The one next to me had to be the Lord's but he hadn't mentioned who lived in the room on his other side.I'm guessing it was a guest bedroom for personal friends of the Lords.

I felt Thraxx lean down close to me on my other side, "This is usually the part where you open the door." he whispered into my ear. I could feel his Breathe on the side of my face and it sent a tiny shiver down my spine, but I quickly jumped to cover it.

I gave him a nervous laugh and hurriedly turned the knob of the door, opening it slowly.

Thraxx moved into the room to flick on the light that was on the wall, to the right of the door and stepped back to let me in. I took it all in at a glance and had to take a deep breathe. My first thought was 'this is bigger than my entire apartment.' my second thought was 'I am so going to be jumping on that bed later tonight!' A small giggle emitted from my throat before I even realized it was forming and slapped a hand over my mouth to stop it.

I heard a deep chuckle from behind me and turned to see a smile highlighting Thraxx's features. His Power seemed different somehow. It was lighter but still intense at the same time. yeah that doesn't make sense but thats how it was. I think it was the smile, it made
the sense of his power more pleasant.

"I take it you like it?" He inquired.

I dropped my hand from my mouth and smiled and him.

"Yeah," I nodded, "It's really great."

"There's a Bathroom just there." He said, pointing to a door across the room.

I smiled bigger, "Thanks."

He nodded, "I'll leave you to unpack then. Dinner is served at 8:00. You have the choice of eating with everyone in the dining room or you can bring your food back up to your room. Meet me at the foot of the stairs at 10:00 for your training." and started to close the door behind himself.

"Wait!" I called out after him.

He opened the door again and peaked his head around to look at me with an eyebrow raised, "Yes?"

"Training?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

He smirked and I felt heat climbing into my cheeks. "You have no background in body guarding, and you've only been a Werewolf for a few moons. Did you really think I'd just let you go in with no training tomorrow?"

"I.. I guess I never really thought about it." My cheeks burned now with my embarrassment.

"Well, thats what I plan on changing. See you at 10:00" and he was gone.

I waited a few moments while I listened to his retreating footsteps before I let a grin develop on my lips and ran for the huge bed. Sliding onto it I quickly got to my feet and started jumping around like crazy and doing a weird dance to the tempo of my own excitement until I was panting and grinning like an idiot. I plopped down onto the rumpled comforter and took in deep lungfuls of air and stared at the ceiling. Other than being surrounded by tons of Werewolf males that all had their sights set on me, spending the days as a Wolf, and even going through the training that Thraxx had planned for me I think this new path in my life would be a great one.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I'll be busy for the next couple of days. I've been neglecting my friends and they're starting to make a commotion lol. I wanted to post something before I go.