Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

Dinner Trials

Splashing water on my face I let the coolness relax me. I was a little nervous of going down to the main hall for dinner. I was actually entertaining the idea of just grabbing something in the kitchen and bring it back to my room so I wouldn't have to actually interact with anyone. I had already been in one fight today and I wanted things to cool down a little. Based on the cheering going on during my fight with Jax I'd say the guys down stairs were the type who'd be talking about it for awhile, so there was little chance that things had cooled down since this afternoon.

I shook my head and sighed. I knew I'd go down there. I'd go down there and eat dinner with all of them no matter how much I didn't want to. I couldn't let them think I'd chicken out. And I knew that's exactly how they would see my absence. I had to walk the walk if I was going to talk the talk so to speak lamely. Damn testosterone pumped Werewolves!

I didn't bother with foundation, blush or lip gloss and just settled with mascara and Eyeliner. I'd pulled on my comfy jeans that always made me feel good and a loose plain black tee. Simple. Don't draw attention to yourself, Marlee, and you'll be fine. Yeah, sure.

Looking through the door of the bathroom, where I was standing in front of the mirror, to the clock that was perched on the bedside table. Placid green numbers flashed 7:51. Nine minutes.

Shutting off the light I closed the door to the bathroom behind me and made my way over to the closet that was next to it. Opening the door I looked over my choices of shoes and decided to step into a pair of black slip ons. Closing the door I glanced over my shoulder at the clock again. 7:53.

I blew out a sigh to settle my nerves. I would of waited longer to leave but with all those sets of stairs I'd have to descend I knew it'd take me a while and I didn't want to be late. Biting my lip I headed out my bedroom door to the hallway.

I tried counting the steps to keep my mind of the bound to be problematic next couple of hours. After step 327 I got distracted as that crawling bug feeling, oh how I hated that feeling, started again and it was back with vengeance. It felt like I was drowning in the feeling. it made me lose my breathe and I had to pause with my hand on the wall. The sound of voices drifted up to me. I wasn't able to discern exactly what they were saying because there were a lot of them. I took a deep calming breathe and pushed my way through the crawling feeling and continued downward.

Once I rounded the corner on the final set of stairs I paused for a moment to take them all in. They filled the entire front hall. I wasn't even going to guess there number because I've always been bad at that, but it had to be more than 50 werewolves down there. I step onto the next step and all heads turned in my direction, causing me to freeze in reaction. I've never been the type of person who like that many eyes on them.

Murmurs broke out and eyes turned animalistic. I drew a quite breathe and silently let it out before I took my next step. Half way down the doors that I knew led to the dining hall opened and two women stood by each one. No one moved. Great. a shiver ran down my spine and I whipped around, quickly catching my balance and looked up to see Thraxx at the top on the stairs.

Those deep green eyes of his seemed to flash onto mine and it felt like everything had paused around me. There were no heart beats, no blinks of eyes lashes, and certainly there were not a crowd of men just behind me. Just us two locked onto each other. His gaze slid over my shoulder and time resumed with me pulling in a deep breathe.

"Go eat." He called out to the Wolves at my back.

I took his order as well and turned back to make my way down the last few steps not looking back at him. I knew he was there, I didn't need to look.

In the dining hall the men were already seated and grabbing at the food that was placed all along the middle of the two huge tables. They were chatting and laughing, falling into place with their friends and generally enjoying themselves. It was at that thought that I realized something. Where was I going to sit?

Oh god, it was high school all over again.

I quickly scanned the seats that were available and the people who sat next to them. The first one I saw was in between two men who looked to be in their middle forties and had scowls on their faces. Not exactly inviting. The next one was between two young guys who were talking adamantly within their little group. No need to break it up. Of course with the day I'm having I found an open seat next to Jax. Shudder.

Then I saw it. The perfect opened seat, right next to Solomon. Thank you, God. He was smiling and having a quite conversation with the guys next to him. Though I wanted to run to him, I didn't. I wasn't sure how he'd react to me sitting next to him. I mean I thought we got along great earlier but I didn't know what he thought. Was it just another job to him?

Those little fears were put to rest when he saw me round the table and heading toward him. His smile widened in welcome and he gestured for me to hurry up. I grinned back at him and picked up the pace.

I slid into the chair and let out an almost breathless "Hi." to the guys around us.

They didn't say anything at first, just stared at me. The one diagonal from me to my right even let his jaw drop open. I could feel Heat rising to my face and ducked it a little. Solomon cleared his throat and, like it was their cue, all of them started talking at the same time.

"Hey!" One screamed. "I'm Morgan!"

"Hi, I'm Lyer." Another one told me.

"Hey, my name is Tover." Said the guy sitting on my other side.

The one who'd let their mouth drop opened waved and introduced himself as Landon.

I smiled at them, meeting everyone's eyes with a simple, "Marlee."

They smiled back at me.

"So how do you like your room, Marlee?" Solomon asked.

I turned to him, nodding, "It's great, I didn't think it'd be that big but I love it."

"That's good. When do you officially start working?"

God bless him he was better at making conversation than I was.

"Umm I have training tonight and I start tomorrow I guess."

"Whose training you?" Lyer asked, as he reached for a roll, reminding me what I came down
here for in the first place.

As I loaded the plate that was in front of me with food I replied, "Thraxx is."

Tover muttered something under his breathe that I didn't catch but apparently Morgan had and almost choked on his soda as he tried not to laugh.

I turned to him, "Pardon?"

He shook his head, keeping his head bowed and played with the food on his plate, "Nothing."

He reminded me of a fourteen year old boy.

"So how long have you been a Wolf?" Landon inquired.

"Umm," I hesitated, "Not very long"

Landon opened his mouth to question me further but was cut off. I would of welcomed the interruption if it wasn't for you was doing the interrupting.

"Marlee!" Jax shouted out, drawing everyone's attention to us, "What's wrong baby couldn't deal with the big boys so you sat with the Subs?" Making his group roar with laughter.

I could feel my eyes flash and felt the guys around me tense. He was insinuating I couldn't handle his friends and him. I don't know why since I already kicked his butt once today.

I made a show of meeting every pair of eyes that had laughed then looked back at Jax and replied in a bored tone, playing with my food, "There are big boys over there? All I see are followers of a guy that got beat by a girl this morning. Besides, I have no interest in boys, only real men" Gesturing to the guys around me.

Let the fireworks begin.

The entire hall began laughing and even a few of the younger ones were shouting 'Burn' then falling against each other. Jax and his group glared at everyone. I think I even heard them growling under the noise. My suspicions were confirmed when Jax snarled. Shaking my head I went back to my food.

"Listen here, little girl." The guy on Jax's right stood up, "I'm above Jax in this pack, which means I'm superior than you, so you better watch who you talk to like that."

I straightened my back and placed my fork down."Superior than me" I repeated slowly.

He nodded, "Yes, Your superior."

I felt my mouth twist into an ugly sneer, "You might out rank Jax but I have not joined this pack, therefore no one here is Superior to me."

There was a collective gasp and Solomon said my name in a frantic tone. I looked around and was confused at their reaction.

Turning to Solomon I frowned at him, "What?"

He shook his head in disbelief and opened his mouth to speak but something over my shoulder caught his eye and he stopped. I turned my head to see what made him stop and
saw Thraxx standing up from his seat.

"Everyone will disregard what Marlee has just said," He spoke to the room, "She is just a few moons old and doesn't know all of our ways yet. I have be assigned to be her counselor so if their is a problem with her come to me first before you do anything."

Everyone nodded in response to this but I was still confused and now a little angry that he had said that he would deal with my problems. I can deal with my own problems.

"Excuse me?" I asked indignantly.

Thraxx looked at me and instead of answering my question asked another, "Are you done eating?" and stepped away from the table and pushed his chair in.

I stood up and did the same, "Yes."

He waited until I had walked to him before proceeding to the doors Ignoring all of the silent eyes that followed. I opened my mouth to speak once we were out of the dining hall but he held a finger in front of his mouth and kept walking. He opened the front door as ushered me out. I frowned at him but went outside.

Once he closed the door after himself I couldn't hold it in any longer, "What do you think your doing? Now their going to think I need someone to stand up for me. Which I don't! I took care of Jax on my own and I can take of the rest of them on. My. Own."

Thraxx's eyes narrowed and he was grinding his teeth together. Which is bad for your teeth might I add. He took in a deep breathe and I swear I could hear him counting under his breathe. He slowly released his breathe and his narrowed eyes went back to regular size.

"Obviously you do need someone to stand in for you since you obviously don't know what you just did in there."

"And what did I do? Tell off a jerk? Big deal." I huffed.

He shook his head, looking down and gave a rough laugh, "Little wolf, You declared yourself an outsider to the pack which means you basically told them you were trespassing on their land. Not to mention your a female. Instead of fighting you off their land they'd try to claim you." He explained. "So if you don't need someone to stand in for you does that mean you were trying to get 87 wolves to come after you?"

87? After me? Crap.

I didn't know what to say, "Uhh. ."

He gave me a small smile, "That's what I thought." He sighed, "So for your sake, until you've got some lessons in Wolf etiquette, Don't go around shooting your mouth off."

I grumbling unintelligently at that but Nodded stiffly anyway.

"Good," He smiled, "now you have about an hour before your training begins. You will be changing so you should go change into some older clothes and sneakers or running shoes."

"Changing?" I asked biting my lip a little.

"Yeah, I'm supposed to be helping your wolf and it would help if she was their physically."

"I . I've never changed three times in one day before." Just thinking about it made me sore.

He just opened the front door, "Go change."

I sighed and walked into the house and up the stairs to my room.
♠ ♠ ♠
These past few days have been awesome! I was at the midnight release of The Dark Knight and it was totally worth it! Everyone should go, even those with a fear of clowns like my sister. Just bring an extra pair of pants!

Thank You to reapervampire for Tover, whose name was originally Jack for lack of better guy names that I could come up with.

If you suggested a name, thank you.
If I didn't use your name that is for two reasons; one, I might be using it in a later chapter or two, it was or reminded me of a someone I know/character of someone else's. It's easier for me to have different, unique names because I can see/develop their character better in my mind without the influence of some other character. Hope that makes sense to you guys.