Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

Boring Day

At 6:30 p.m. the next day I was beginning to agree with Thraxx. This job could get boring. And boring it got real quick. Lord Vaunders had not moved from behind his desk in seven hours. Thraxx and I were currently stationed at the front of the desk, one of us on each side. There were two Vampires in the chairs in front of the desk Don't ask me what they were talking about, it was too boring to keep my attention and even if I did, I wasn't allowed to talk about what goes on in this office with anyone besides Thraxx.

My eyelids kept fluttering shut and I kept fighting them, making them stay open. I've seen that Vampire before, he was in Edgar's office when Thraxx had brought us there. Denvin, was it? The other Vampire wasn't the one who was with him last time. I wonder what his name is.

Carpet can become strangely fascinating to the seriously bored. I was trying to depict pictures from the threads, anything my imagination could come up with. Well that was before the floor started getting closer. It seemed to be rising up to meet me. It was! The threads were getting closer. How was it doing that?

Thraxx made a sound in his throat and I looked over at him. He was sitting there like a statue, not a flipping hair out of place, it was like he was carved out of stone. If it weren't for him tilting his head a little to give me a look. It was then that I realized I was no longer sitting up. No, I was lying down. And I had really thought that the carpet was the one moving.

I sighed silently to myself and pushed back up to a sit, slowly. I could see Thraxx's frame shaking. He was laughing, the bastard. I gave him a narrowed eyed glare before looking straight forward in an attempt to ignore him and found the Vampire I've never seen before smiling down at me. I straightened and slid Thraxx a look out of the corner of my eye. It was wasted. Thraxx already had his eyes on the Vampire and was now growling very low in his throat, almost too low for it to be audible. The Vampire Denvin paused in his speech to pass a look at the growling interruption, while the other Vampire immediately put his gaze back on the Lord.

"Thraxx." Vaunders' voice held a warning edge.

Thraxx, choking the sound off, turned straight forward and became that perfect statue again.

How does he do that? I can barely stand this and he does it everyday! He must have a secret and I must know what it is.

I had finally distracted my bored mind with musical numbers from the good old Disney classics when the Vampire's conversation grabbed my attention.

The Vampire from Edgar's office leaned back comfortably in his chair and looked at me.
"So, you've found yourself a female." He stated.

I moved only my eyes to find them both of the Vampires before me looking at me. Oh no.

"Yes, Denvin. Marlee is already proving herself invaluable to my staff. Her wolf is like no other, she gained control of it almost immediately."

I flinched a little, not quite comfortable with this kind of talk. I've never liked being the center of attention. Thraxx glanced at me out of the corner of his eye but I was pretending not to see it.

"She is a gorgeous wolf, that one. I bet she has your boys running amok, eh?" Denvin chuckled with a badly attempt to wiggle his eyebrows.

The other two Vampires in the room chuckled along with him. Yeah, cause it was so hilarious.

"She does have quite the spirit," Vaunders said, "She was in a fight her first day here with one of our top dominants."

"Really now?" Denvin inquired, "And the winner?"

"From what I hear, she was." Was that a hint of pride I detected? He's only know me for a day. Maybe he's just trying to brag to this one. Braggers get on my nerves.

I grumbled my displeasure and dropped my head a little causing the two Vampires that could see me to laugh.

"Oh, what a prize she must be."

That jerked my head up. With my teeth bared I gave him a growl from deep within my throat, which made it more guttural sounding. Thraxx growled again, but what surprised me was that he was looking at me. I turned towards him and deepened my growl before Vaunders told us to settle down.

"Uh oh. Looks like she's going to get in another fight."

"No, I think she's just getting restless. Edgar warned me that she might get this way since she's not used to my schedule yet."

"Would a walk help?" The Vampire whose name I did not know asked.

I couldn't help it, my ears perked up at that. But it was a double edged sword. Yes, I wanted to move, do something, anything, but then again it kind of sounded like I was Vaunders' dog that just needed to be taken out on a walk. A dog I am not, but if it got us moving I could relent, just this once.

"It's a bit earlier than I usually take my rounds," The Lord pondered, "But she has been sitting there all day."

So the Lord and guests made their rounds, Thraxx and I flanking either side of Vaunders. I was wagging my tail, only slightly, at the wonderful feeling I got from being outside after being cooped up all day in one position.

As we passed the third guard Devin spoke, "It pleases me to see that your guard is not lax, mi Lord."

Huh. I wonder how old Denvin is, or if he's just trying to sound older by talking like that.

Vaunders' nodded, "They haven't given me much to worry about these past years and they're company keeps an old Vampire from becoming mad. I am very grateful of them." He slyly reached down and, without the other two seeing, smoothed the palm of his hand over the top of Thraxx's head.

It wasn't a pat you'd give your dog, it was more like a pat on the back between good friends.

"Have they're been many challengers to your position?" Denvin inquired, hands clasped behind his back.

"Only the occasional just made who haven't settled into their news lives, yet. No one to worry about."

"Let's hope those are the only attempts to your position for the future as well." Denvin made it sound like he was giving his blessing, like 'may your future be kind.'

Vaunders merely nodded.

The walk ended with Vaunders showing his guest to the door with a kindly good bye on the front steps. As their car's tail lights faded away Vaunders turned to go back inside, holding the door open for Thraxx and I. We followed him back up the stairs but continued past the floor his office was.

Dear God, please let this mean he's going to his room and he will no longer need us.

My prayers were answered as he started up the final set of stairs, leading to our bedrooms.
I tried to contain my tail as happy thoughts were flying throw my head. Vaunders paused outside his door and turned to look at me.

"This is the end of your shift. You handled it better than Edgar and I assumed you would. We should of known better since your Wolf is perfectly under control. I hope today wasn't too terrible."

I let my tail wag to say without words that I was pleased or that it wasn't too terrible, as he put it. He nodded with a smile on his lips and bid us both good night before opening the door to his room.

A thrilled rush went through me as I heard the click of his door. I was free. I practically ran to my door and nudged it open with my nose. I'd left it open a crack after Thraxx suggested it would be easier later if I still had a problem with Changing in front of others. I pushed the door shut and started Changing right away.

It was glorious, the feeling of my bones popping back into place after being in Wolf form all day. I collapsed onto my bed with a sigh and stretched out, letting the coolness of the comforter seep into my back. I would of stayed to enjoy the feeling longer but the feeling of an empty stomach finally got me moving again.

I quickly threw on some faded jeans and a blue t-shirt, combing my hands out with my hair and tying the strands up with a hair tie in the bathroom. I applied just eyeliner on the inside of my eyelids and deemed myself presentable enough to go sniffing in the kitchen for a snack before dinner.

I was shutting the lights off in the bathroom as a knock sounded at my door. I treaded barefoot to the door and my nose told me before I even touched the handle who it was.

He was wearing a plain black shirt, that was a little loose on him, tucked into a nice pair of jeans with a belt to hold them in place. His curls looked like he'd just spent an hour on them when I knew he hadn't. Tanned flesh peaked out from under the boot of the jeans to tell me he was barefoot as well.

"Hungry?" Thraxx smiled.

"Starving, and not just for food but for something to do. I feel the need to go for a run." I closed my door behind me and we headed for the stairs.

He smiled knowingly at my answer, "I did warn you that the job wasn't all too exciting."

"Yeah, but I you didn't tell me we'd have to sit still all day in our Wolf forms. I don't know how your Wolf doesn't bother you, mine was killing me."

"My Wolf is used to these kind of days now and he gets his pent up energy gets released when the shift ends."

"What do you guys do around here for fun anyways, I saw the entertainment room," No need to remind him that I had saw it as I was fighting with Jax. "But there's got to be other things to do."

He nodded his agreement and seemed a little hesitant to answer.

"Some go out hunting but most of us, the ones whose shifts aren't at night, go out clubbing. Dancing it a major energy releaser."

Dancing. My Wolf was practically restless with the idea.

"What club do you guys usually go to?"

"Bojin's. The owner is a Werewolf though the club isn't exclusively for us, it's popular among the Humans."

"Does Solomon go dancing with them?" I had to see if someone I was comfortable with was going.

Thraxx hesitated on his next step, tension racing through his body, "Sometimes." his voice hard.

I don't know why he was suddenly tense, and I didn't ask.

We didn't speak the rest of the way to the kitchen, but that didn't mean there was silence. The house was filled with sound. Their were the sounds of Vaunders Vampires having a good time behind closed doors, Werewolves competing against each other in the game room, and talk of where they would go out tonight.

I followed Thraxx as he pushed up the door to the kitchen. As the door swung shut behind me my skin broke out in crawlies as Thraxx's power kicked up a notch. I seriously didn't know what was wrong with him, he seemed to have been in a god mood when I'd opened my door.

Rubbing my arms against the feeling I step away from him and saw Solomon sitting at the long bar with Lyer, eating a steak with mashed potatoes and gravy. My mouth was watering at the sight. I quickly walked over to him and jumped up into the open seat beside him.

"That looks wonderful, how do I get a plate?" I asked him, practically drooling.

He smiled at me as he chewed. Thraxx settled into the seat on the other side of me as Solomon swallowed and called a worker over.

"Can you get her what I'm having, please." He asked him.

"Make that two." Thraxx added.

He nodded and as he moved his scent floated along the air. He was human. I stared after him in slight amazement. I didn't know Vaunders employed Humans. I wouldn't of thought it was safe for them.

Shaking my head I turned in my seat to face Solomon, "So I hear you guys go out dancing a lot, are you going tonight?"

Power beat at my back and I threw Thraxx a puzzled glance over my shoulder but his head was bent down. Looking back at Solomon I found him and Lyer looking over my shoulder as well.

"Uh," Solomon started, "I'm not sure. I mean, I think I'm just going to stay in tonight."

"Oh," My smile deflated a little.

"You should go though, you'd have fun."

"Nah, I was only going to go if you were going. I mean, as much fun as being the only female Werewolf in a crowd of male Werewolves sounds, I'd rather have a dance partner I could trust to behave with me."

Thraxx's power turned hotter as the kitchen worker came back to place Thraxx's and I's plates in front of us, utensils and all. I cut into my steak and bent down to get it into my mouth faster. Oh, it was heaven on a fork.

"Well," Solomon said, and I turned to look at him while chewing my second piece of steak. He was looking over my shoulder again but quickly met my eyes and smiled. "If it'll make you feel more comfortable I can go."

I knew my eyes got bigger in excitement and couldn't help it, "Really? I mean it's okay if you don't want to. I don't have to go out tonight."

It'd just kill a little part of me if I didn't do some kind of physical activity.

"The more I think about it the more I want to go. So, yes, I'll go."

I could feel a big smile play out on my lips, "Great! So when do we leave?"

The air became more breathable as Thraxx blew out a sigh and his Power dissipated.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tomorrow I have to take my college placement test which I'm supposed to be studying for right now but I'm so nervous!

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs comes out tomorrow also, and I'm picking up my copy after the test to relax my nerves. If you like werewolf stories (which I'm assuming you do since your reading mine) you should read Patricia Brigg's books! 1st- Moon Called, 2nd- Blood Bound, and the 3rd- Iron Kissed. All really good books!

She's my fav. author after LKH's earlier work.