Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

The Effects of Death

"He was found nailed to a tree by a stake through the chest in the east woods." Yuron, the retired vampire doctor, said. "His sides have several scratches and there are multiple bite wounds on his neck."

Henry Randal's pallor face had hues of blue and purple that made me shiver just looking at him. His stock brown hair was sticking every which way framing a wide forehead that ended at brick eyebrows, the slope of his nose tilted up at the end and hovered above thin lips and a dimpled chin. His blank eyes stared up at me from where he laid, stretched out on a table in a room on a lower level.

My first look at corpse.

I'm pretty sure I felt a part of my innocence being killed the instant my eyes caught his lifeless ones. I felt my body become a hard shell, sealing my soul in a padded room.

Dr. Yuron, Vaunders, Edgar, and Thraxx stood around the corpse with me and I realized that they were talking, had continued to talk while I was being pulled down the tunnel of a dead man's stare.

A hand come over Henry's face and slid his eyes shut, "A challenge to my power, then." Vaunders sighed, resting his hand on the side of Henry's face for a moment before straightening and pulling himself together. It was oddly reassuring to see him lose that shatter-proof presence, knew that it cost him to see someone under his lead to have fallen in such a way.

"I'll have Reogan compile a list of Vampires who would most likely of done this." Edgar told Vaunders.

Vaunders nodded stiffly, "Make sure you gather everything you can before burning him, Yuron." His eyes flecked over to Thraxx and then to me before settling back on Thraxx, "This means my security will be tightened and on alert at all times, through out my estate until we find out who exactly it was." And then he left before anyone could say a word, Edgar silently followed him out.

I still hadn't moved my gaze from Henry's now closed eyes and started when someone spoke my name softly. I blinked once, twice, and slowly lifted my gaze to Thraxx's, who was now standing before me on the opposite side of the table. I tried to swallow but found it hurt my dry throat when I did and licked my lips before speaking.

"Yes?"

"Are you okay?" He tilted his head to the side and it reminded me of him in his wolf form that
one night.

"Yeah, I'm good. It's not like I knew him." It's true but still I hurried to amend myself, "I mean, shit, that was horrible. I'm sorry. I don't know why I said that."

"It's okay, we all have a hard reaction the first time we see a dead body. I'm sort of surprised you haven't thrown up yet."

I could feel the color in my face drain down into my stomach and start a whorl wind. I hadn't even thought of that, or anything really. Why did he have to mention that? I ran, with my hand cupped over my mouth, to the sink.

"Well," Dr. Yuron said, sarcastically, "I'll be cleaning out the sink tonight as well."
My stomach lurched a few times with dry heaves before I could pant out, "I-I'm sa-sor. .ree"

He shook his head and smiled, "Just trying to make light of a dark situation. I'm afraid I failed."

Thraxx walked over to where I was still bent, leaning on the lip of the sink and grabbed a towel. Ignore the mess in the sink he turned the cold water on, soaking the towel. He left the water on in an attempt to rid some of my mess and wiped my face clean. If my brain had been functioning on a normal level I would of felt embarrassed and weird by his actions, but it wasn't so I closed my eyes and took in the coolness of the towel. He folded the used part of the towel over and gathered my hair into one hand so he could run the towel across the nape of my neck.

I pressed my forehead into the edge of the sink before pushing away from it.

"Feel better now?" Thraxx asked.

"I was doing fine until you had to mention something." I said a bit angry now that my head felt better. But even though, he did help me out after wards so I had to say, "Thanks."

"Don't mention it." He said tossing the towel into the sink.

"I think I should go to bed now." I stumbled a few steps away from the sink before Thraxx placed his hand under my elbow to steady me.

"I think we all should be going to bed, Good night Dr. Yuron."

"Rest well, kids." Dr. Yuron replied.

Kids? Remind me to ask his age the next time I run into him.
Neither Thraxx or I spoke as we made our way up the many stairs. I think I had settled into a safe numbness and was running on autopilot as we rounded on the final set of stairs.

Thraxx still hadn't dropped his hand from my elbow but I was okay with it, it felt more like an extension of myself.

We were keeping a steady pace down the hallway when Thraxx pulled back on my elbow, "Marlee."

I looked a silent question at him.

"You past your room." He said, gesturing to my door with a nod of his head.

I looked over my shoulder and counted the doors. Huh, I had past my door.

"Oh." I turned and opened my door.

Thraxx's hand tightened on my arm before I could enter and I looked back at him.

He bent over to get down to my level, "Are you really okay?"

I nodded my head, and when he didn't look convinced, "Yes, Thraxx. I'm fine, probably just a little out of it, but I'll be fine."

We held each others eyes and I could see a silent war going on behind his head. He was fighting with himself about something. I was too tired to really care to ask what it was.

His eyes settled down and the corner of his mouth tipped up, "Your right, you probably just need some sleep. Go on, you'll be fine in the morning." He dropped his hand.

"Good Night, Marlee."

"Good Night." I turned and closed my door behind me.

My ears picked up when I didn't hear his footfalls on the carpet and turned to look at the crack at the bottom of my door. I could see his shadow blocking out the light in the hallway. It was several more long seconds before he turned and headed to his room.

I sighed and continued to my closet. Grabbing a changed of pajamas I headed to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. After changing into a pair of boy shorts and a comfy tee I crawled under my comforter, ready for sleep to consume me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks For The 4th Star guys!

I guess the theme of this chapter came at the right time in my life sense it does feel like a part of me is gone now that my best friend is moving.

But on a lighter side I have a mini story to tell you all!

So earlier today I went to walmart and as I was about to shut the car off, this song came on the radio and I was instantly addicted. I sat in the car to listen to the rest of it, quickly getting a pen and paper to scribble down the lyrics so I could look them when I got home, cause the radio rarely tells you who your listening to and this song was different from the bands I listen to.

I spent TWO hours trying to find my adictive song , but it was well worth it in the end.

The song is 'I'm Going, I'm Going' by Lesley Roy. This girl is amazing!
I want you to take a couple of minutes and visit her myspace page which is www.myspace.com/lesleyroy
listen to her addicting song and then listen to her other one 'Psycho Bitch' and tell me what you think!