Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

Stepping It Up

I was woken up at 4:30 the next morning. With the murder Vaunders thought it was a good idea to step up my training. I thought it was a good thing too, but not at 4:30 in the morning. Thraxx took me back out to the Clearing of his Pack and was teaching how to fight against a vampire.

"The one thing you have to remember about Vampires is to never let them get behind you. if you do, and your in your Wolf form, your dead." Thraxx was lecturing, seated on his Throne.

Isn't that cheery?

"They will latch on like the leeches they are and it's almost impossible to get them off. One way to get them off in Wolf form is to reach your paw back as far over your shoulder as possible and rip into their throat, which is hard to do since their throat will be protected by the back of yours. If you succeed in ripping their throat open they usually let go to give their throats time to heal back. Another, and not highly recommended, way to get their fangs out of your neck to to thrash about, lots of twisting, shaking, and rolling. If you get them off that way you run the chance of their fangs tearing a hole that will increase the bleeding, plus since you used a lot of energy to get them off, you effectively become useless for the rest of the night."

Oh boy.

"In Human form, which I sure as hell hope you won't be in when you come face to face with an enemy Vampire, You should deck them in the mouth. Their fangs are overly sensitive and while they're waiting for the pain to recede you should be tearing your clothes off and changing forms as fast as you possibly can to even out the odds of survival."

"Okay, but won't that piss them off more?" I could probably survive a Vampire attack, but a mad Vampire? I wasn't to keen on the idea.

"Yes," Thraxx said, "it will, but thats not important. What is important is that you stay alive and you just aren't up to taking down a Vampire in your Human form yet."

Thank you for thinking so highly of me.

I narrowed my eyes at him, "Okay, is it time to actually fight yet?" I asked as I rose from the other Stone Throne.

I'm suddenly feeling very violent.

The corner of his lip lifted and made a lop sided smile that knocked the wind out of me. Where did that smile come from and did the army know about it? It was lethal. Well to me at least.

I quickly looked away from those lips and met his eyes, then meaningfully looked out at the clearing below us and back at him. He got up and my mouth broke out into a grin. I practically bounced down the stone steps.

I turned and waited for him as he exaggerated his steps slowly.

"Oh, come on!," I yelled exasperated, "You got me up at 4:30, and i am not a morning person, then lecture me for hours! I should be allowed this little thing at least."

He fought for control over his face but his eyes were shiny with laughter.

"Yuck it up, but I'm still going to beat you down." I challenged.

He scoffed, "Have you even taken fighting lessons of any kind when you were Human?"

"No," I admitted, "But I have three older brothers. I know how to make a guy fall."

something flashed in his eyes but he tilted his head down and closed his eyes before lifting them back up to me and then it was gone.

"Well, I'm going to have to give you a small lecture then."

I groaned.

His small lecture turned out to be about 20 minutes long. He explained and showed me the basic stands and the mentality to picture your enemy as a wall then punch threw that wall. Visualize your goal and all that.

We spent the rest of the day light hours throwing punches, flipping, and pinning each other. Admittedly Thraxx did most of the pinning, but hey this was my first formal lesson and I did get a few great ones of my own in.

"Okay," I blew out a breath as he pinned me down again, "Can we rest for a moment? My back is tired of being slammed down."

He rolled off to my side and lay next to me as we both caught or breathe.

"So," Thraxx panted, rolling his head to the right to look at me, "Have you thought about your decision on if you want to join the Pack or not?"

I winced mentally. I had thought about it. A lot actually and the only reasonable answer was to join. even if it set my stomach in a loop.

I bit the side of my lip and rolled my head to his, "If I join, can I always decided when I want to with drawl? I mean I want to eventually move back closer to my family, or at least one of my brothers."

I think Thraxx skipped a breath, "If you move far away you obviously can leave the Pack."

"But what if I just decided I'm not cut out for Pack life, Can I just go back to just working at Vaunders?"

"Wolves have a different way of life, Marlee. They look after every member and protect them fiercely, especially our females." He hedged.

"Meaning I won't be able to leave the Pack?"

I waited for him to refute it but he didn't. I blew out a breath. Damn.

"So, just because I'm a female means I can't leave the Pack."

"No, You won't be able to leave the Pack after you join."

I looked away from his eyes, down to our feet as despair washed over me. I'd be stuck here, if I liked it or not. I'd always have someone to tell me what to do and what not to do, and have punishment if I did them anyways. Fear replaced the despair and it felt like i couldn't breathe.

I felt Thraxx tense next to me.

"But if you don't like this Pack," He said and I looked back up at him. He seemed to be clenching his jaws together, "You can always petition to another Pack to take you and you'd be able to leave."

The fear lifted and was automatically able to breathe again.

There was a companionable silence as we laid there, looking into each others eyes, watching our different thoughts flicker across them. It was like a quiet conversation. I was revealing my doubts about joining, about being in any Pack and he was soothing and placating my doubts, being confident when I wavered.

"Okay" I said. It just slipped past my lips. Not even a conscious thought, "I'll join."

His face froze, keeping his reaction from me.

Then he smiled a small smile.

"Good. They'll all be happy to have you."

I'm sure they would.

So why was my stomach still churning?

Thraxx stood and extended his hand to me, pulling me to my feet.

"The Full Moon is just a couple of days away. I'll notify everyone of your joining and get everything ready. Just relax and try not to think of it. Everything will be fine." He said, trying to reassure me. And he did. I did feel a little better.

"We're done for the day. Are you hungry? You only got that sorry excuse for a breakfast this morning."

"Now that you mention it, My stomach is feeling a little hallow."

"Come on then" He said and gestured for me to follow him with a wave of his hand toward the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
STARTED A NEW STORY! please go check it out it's titled 'Silent Wings' and don't worry i intend to finish Marlee and Thraxx's story!

I noticed the fourth star rating and decided to let you guys have this one early.

But I do have a little bit of discouraging news. My English teacher was informed me that all her class basically is is writing essays and such. Hopefully it won't drain the writing I do on this site but there is that possibility. So be forewarned things might get a little slower around here.