Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

Power Wolf

As we made our way back through the trees to go to the house that prickly, skin crawling feeling came back so hard I instantly stopped and ducked down.

"What are you doing?" Thraxx asked, stopping as well.

"You don't feel that?" I said, poking me head around the tree I was crouched by.

Uncertainly Thraxx got down too. "Feel what?"

"Someone is to our right." I kept searching through the trees but couldn't see any movement.

Thraxx tilted his head in the direction I said the person was and inhaled deeply. He immediately got up and, with his hand latched onto my arm, pulled me up with him.

"It's just Nikoli." He then called out to him.

A minute later a man wearing all back stepped into view without a sound. He had his, what looked natural, black hair tied back with just a few strands that were too short loose and framing his face, where two strikingly pale blue eyes sat. He had basically the same build as Thraxx just maybe an inch shorter. His face held a stone like quality that told you he was no joking man. With every step he took towards us the harder my skin crawled. His eyes met mine and I unconsciously took a step forward and curled my upper lip back, bearing my teeth. As soon as I realized what I had done I gasped and covered my mouth. What the hell?

He stopped and slowly slid his eyes down my frame, then back up as his lips turned up into a mocking smile. He held my gaze a moment more before sliding his pale blues to Thraxx, "Yes?" His voice grumbly.

"Anything to report?" Thraxx asked.

Nikoli gave one shake of his head.

"Come closer." Thraxx told him.

Nikoli did so and it set me on edge, I was rocking back and forth and switching my weight from one foot to the other and then back again. Something about Nikoli just felt off to me and made me want to raise my guard.

Nikoli noticed my unease and a laugh sparked in his eyes but his lips didn't move. He was standing right in front of me now and it took everything in me not to lunge at him.

"Very new indeed." He said as he looked down at me.

I felt my hand close into a fist and looked down at it in disbelief before turning towards Thraxx, who was studying me carefully, but made sure I kept Nikoli in the corner of my eye like I couldn't trust him.

"Why do I feel like fighting him?" I'm not usually this violent towards someone I knew nothing of but their name and, now, what they looked like.

I saw Nikoli arch a brow at my question and laugh. His laugh was deep and as grumbly as his voice, which normally I would of liked but it made my fist clench tighter.

"Oh, she's going to kick things up." Nikoli laughingly said.

"What?" I demanded, my face contorting with the fight that was running through my body.

"It's your Wolf, she feels Nikoli's Wolf is similar in power and wants to test to see who would come out on top." Thraxx explained.

"You mean she wants to fight him." I clarified, it's always good to make absolutely sure of things.

Thraxx nodded and Nikoli flashed a devilish smile.

"How about it Little Wolf, do you really think your up to it?" He taunted.

which of course made my Wolf stand up and take notice. A quiver ran down my spine.

"No," Thraxx stepped in between us, facing Nikoli, and shook his head,"She will be joining our Pack the next Moon, this can wait till then, if it ever has to be."

"Don't be looking at me Leader, it's her Wolf that challenges."

"And you've been around long enough to know she isn't completely in control of her baser instincts yet, no matter how well she changes form, she is still learning and doesn't need another to crush her while she is."

"Hey," I objected, "He couldn't crush me." I was indignant.

They both ignored me.

"Why not, Leader? That's the way every young male in this Pack has learned how to control themselves, they just needed to be put in line. It works so well, why not use it on her?"

"I told you, because she is too new. She doesn't know what shes doing."

Nikoli looked like he didn't believe him. but didn't say anything as he studied his Alpha. Suddenly those pale blues shone and instantly Thraxx's power rolled off him.

Nikoli barked out a laugh, "She is pretty and her scent is captivating. Congratulations Thraxx. Have you guys made it official yet?"

"Leave!" Thraxx demanded.

Nikoli retreated back the way he came, walking backwards as to not show his back to us. Thraxx shook for a moment and then let out a gust of breath as Nikoli disappeared behind a tree.

"You know," I said, "He doesn't seem very respectful of you and what was he congratulating you on? what did you make official?"

He was quiet and I Thought he was going to just ignore me as he started to walk away but he opened his mouth to speak as he walked.

"Nikoli's power is second to none but my own. he gets a bit touchy when someone challenges him or makes a move against him. He got even more touchy when I wouldn't let him fight you and prove his spot in my Pack. He'll get over it but for now just steer clear of him, okay?"

I could believe that. Nikoli did seem like that type of man.

Shrugging my shoulders. I said, "Sure."

"Good, lets go get some food and just forget about him."

My stomach growled at the mention of food and my smile was a bit sheepish before i grinned.

"Wanna race?" I asked excitedly.

"What?" He didn't smile but i could see his competitiveness spark in his eyes.

"You, me, race. Right now. To the door." I shortened my sentences.

"What are the stakes?" He asked.

I tapped a finger over my lips and thought about it.

"If I win," I paused to think about what I wanted, "I get to sleep in tomorrow," I paused again, "Until two." I clarified."

Lame as stakes go but I sure as hell would take it. No way was I getting up at 4:30 again.

He laughed, "Okay, but if I win," He said, "You get to run laps," He paused, "Until two."

My mouth dropped.

"Be reasonable! That's totally insane."

"I am being reasonable and there's no other way I'll agree to letting you sleep in till two if you don't take this bet."

Damn.

I scowled up at him, "I really don't like you right now."

He just smiled.

"Fine," I conceded,"You ready?"

"Little Wolf, I'm always ready." He said in a husky whisper.

I eyed his suspiciously but didn't respond to that.

"Okay, Ready . . . . . set . . . . . . . . . GO!"

And we both took off running like our tails were on fire.
♠ ♠ ♠
MINI STORY! I think it's funny once you get past the background info.

So I have a writing class I'm taking in college. My teacher assigns us a writing assignment and then she'll use one of our regular class days as a writing day. she doesn't make us write in class though because there are no computers in her classroom and she knows a lot of people like to type instead of hand writing it out. so the class after she assigns something is an optional day to come, encase someone wants her help in getting started or a second opinion or w/e, I'm there to have her look over my rough draft and give some pointers if she has any.

So I get there ten minutes early with another student in my class but shes helping a few students left over from her previous class so I wait. She gets done with them then looks at her watch.

"Wow, we do have class in four minutes. Hey, let me go to the bathroom real quick and I'll be back to help you guys."

As she's leaving this guy comes in and sits down, "What are we doing?" he asks her.

"Nothing," she says, "There's no lesson plan, this is just a optional day." and leaves.

"What?" the guy said, "What does she mean optional?"

The other guy that came in with me says, "Today is just for getting extra help on getting started with our writing."

"Your kidding me right? I waited here for two hours for this class. I can't believe it's optional!"

"She said it was an optional day like 5 times last class." I told him. I mean come on where the hell does he think everyone else is?

"I didn't hear her say that. I slept last class."

Bozo.