Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

Edgar Bross

The next day I was laying down smugly in my cage, watching the workers. I had caused quite an upraising among them. They'd cut my nails and gave me a bath. I, of course, couldn't allow this to go unpunished and gave them a hell of a time. Now no one was willing to touch me anymore, even though they still cooed at how big I am or how cute I look. But I must admit there was this younger man there whom I could tolerate. He was the first to mention my resemblance to a wolf. Smart man.

Being difficult has its down sides though. like being cramped in a cage all day and having nothing do to but sit, stand or lie down while staring at the workers tend to the other animals. Fasinating really.

My eyelids had started drooping from boredom when the hairs on my back started to raise. Instantly I felt edgy. Standing up I tried to pace to keep calm, but that didn't really go well since my cage wasn't that big. Being bigger than a normal dog my pacing was more like turning around in a circle. Was it something outside? I could feel it. It wasn't normal. Like that one time I crossed another werewolf. But no, no this was a different kind of unnatural thing. And it was coming closer.

"Sir! Sir! You can just go back there! Sir!" I could hear a faint voice yell followed by a set of brisk confident steps and quick rushing ones. The doors to where the animals being bathed were opened. The workers stopped what they were doing and turned to look at the man in the doorway.

HIM. It was him I am feeling, I'm sure of it.

He scanned the cages, never moving from the doorway despite the frantic woman behind him. His eyes met mine and if any of my hairs were down they weren't anymore. This man was tall with tanned skin, had extremely dark brown hair that almost looked black and Hazel eyes. Man were those eyes commanding. All of my attention was focused on this man. He gave me a small smile that held something I couldn't quite pin. He now walked into the room and headed towards my cage. I started to get antsy. I was almost vibrating with this new feeling. Something was about to happen and I didn't know if it was going to be a good thing or a bad thing.

Smart man, the one who said I was a wolf, stepped into his path, blocking him from me.

"You aren't allowed back here, sir. If you'd go back to the main office i'm sure someone there will help you." Smart man said in a polite, professional tone.

The man looked away from me to smart man. "My name is Edgar Bross, I heard you had taken in a wild dog yesterday and I am here to take him."

I growled too lowly for anyone to hear and rolled my eyes. There we go with the 'he's' again. Edgar glanced over smart man's shoulder when I growled. My ears perked up in interest. Had he heard me growl?

"If you wish to adopt a dog there are plenty right through those doors," Smart man gestured to the doors the man had just come through, then he gestured to me, "This one's not ready for adoption. We haven't done any testing yet."

"I am not here to adopt just to take him off your hands. You see I work with the wild ones to train them and then place them in suitable homes," Edgar reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a card and offered it to smart man, "Here's my card. Now if you'll give me a leash I will gladly take him off your hands."

Smart man took the proffered card.

"Her" He muttered while reading it.

"Excuse me?" Edgar asked.

"That dog is a girl." Smart man said looking up at Edgar.

Edgar's eyes were once again staring into mine but now they held slight amazement.

"Really?" He asked, incredulously, still staring at me.

Smart man nodded and pocketed the card.

"I'm sorry Mister Bross, but your still going to have to fill out some paper work before we let you just take her."

Edgar was still staring at me and it was starting to annoy. I hunched down and bared my teeth at him.

He blinked and regained his composure. He looked back at smart man and nodded.

"Of course."

With one more glance back at me he allowed the frantic woman that had followed him lead him back through the doors and out to the main office.

leaving me to sit and wait to see what would happen next.
♠ ♠ ♠
I clicked on my story to add this chapter and saw a comment at the bottom of the page and at first I thought it was for someone else lol but then I went to my stories to check to see if it was a comment to me and SURPRISE it was to me!
it was the best feeling, thanks guys