Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

Resident Werewolf Expert

I found myself outside of Edgar's office door nibbling on my bottom lip. He was supposed to be the Lord's 'Werewolf expert' right? So that means he has to know a lot about the Pack here. Which means he could really tell me whats going on here.

"Come in Marlee." Edgar said from within his office.

I hadn't knocked. Supernatural creatures and their extra sensitive senses.

I turned the door knob and gently pushed the door in. Edgar had a very patient look on his face as he sat behind his desk, hands folded together. I sat down in the chair I occupied last time I was here and didn't say anything, trying to gather my thoughts and what or who to say what I wanted to know.

"What's wrong, Marlee?"

I looked up at him, direct eye contact, I needed to make sure he was telling the truth, "You know a lot about the Pack right?"

"Practically everything. It's my job to know them."

"If I don't join the Pack, would all the members go fight me because I'm an outsider to them?"

He leveled his gaze with mine, "Yes. They won't tolerate someone on their territory, whom isn't Pack, for very long."

"And if I do join they'll fight over me and try to claim me." I spat the word 'claim' out like it burned.

"It's in their nature, Marlee. You are a Werewolf. Your species have a different way of courting each other. Regular wolves, in the wild, fight for the right to mate and the winner claims the female. The female doesn't disagree, doesn't really have a choice, but you do. Yes, they will still fight for the right to mate with you, but you are also part Human and therefore have a huge say in who you want. You don't have to pick a mate at all if you don't want to and no one can fight you for that right."

I sighed. Okay Thraxx didn't lie. I was really hoping he hadn't lied to me. Not that I was happy with this situation but Edgar explained it a lot better than he had. I understood it clearer now.

"If I don't join the Pack will I have to leave?"

Edgar stilled.

"Marlee, you don't have to leave." He said, "But it would get a little ugly around here if you didn't."

I sighed again and looked down at my hands.

"Was this what Thraxx and you were fighting over?"

I looked up at him in confusion.

"How did you know that?"

"The Head of Staff in the kitchen."

I blushed a little. "Oh."

"No need to be embarrassed, Marlee. Fights happen all the time. That's why the staff are to report to me if they see a heated argument or fight, because I can't be everywhere at once, but still need to know whats going on to do my job. Especially where Thraxx is involved."

Hmm.

"A big trouble maker is he?" I smiled.

Edgar returned my smile.

"It's good to keep tabs on the Alpha. You can always know how the Pack is going based on how the Alpha is."

I kept smiling at him, waiting.

He rolled his eyes at me, "Yes, he can be a big trouble maker."

Ha!

"I knew it. He seems the type, I just haven't been around long enough for him to show it, right?"

His smile dropped and took on a more serious look.

"Thraxx has a strong temper sometimes. Not easily triggered, mind you, but still quite a temper. He hasn't gotten into a fight, though, since you arrived."

We held each other's gaze.

"Am I supposed to assume something from that comment?" I asked.

He shrugged nonchalantly.

"You know what they say about assuming something, but in this case you might not make an ass out either of us."

I licked my lips and stood up, "Thank you Edgar. For clearly somethings up for me, but I think I should go talk to Thraxx."

"He's out in his Wolf."

I looked at him questioningly.

"Like I said, we keep close tabs on him."

Oh, right.

"Well, I'll go see if I can find him then. Bye, Edgar."

"Bye, Marlee. Good luck."

Yeah, I'd probably need it.

I had the door opened before I remembered something.

"Edgar?," I asked turning around, my hand still on the door knob, "Have you had any luck finding Henry Randal's murderer?"

His eyes lost a little of their glow at Henry's name and he became very serious.

"Unfortunately there were no hairs left or skin under his finger nails so we have no DNA, but we have complied a list of likely suspects and are working through them."

"I'm sure you guys will find him, or them." I tried to console.

"We will."

I stood their awkwardly for a moment before bidding him good bye again and leaving.
♠ ♠ ♠
this one is for everyone who commented on the last chapter.
You guys rocked my world today, I was smiling non stop.
So thank you guys, and thanks to everyone for the 6th star to this story.
I wrote a lot today because of my fabulous mood so the updates should be regular for awhile.

Please check out my other story. lol