Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

New Cohorts and Anger

"The last time I saw Henry that day was after lunch when he was on his way to his room. He said he was going to be writing." Tirsyn said.

He was a blonde, bright-eyed Vampire with very masculine features. He was on the stockier side but not too big with a very smooth square jaw. He held himself as if he was perched on a cloud instead of being drilled in his master's office.

Vaunders was leaning against the front of his desk, legs crossed at the ankles and arms folded over his chest, peering intently into Tirsyn's eyes. Commanding the truth from his Vampire.

"I have already sent for his journals." Vaunders said. "Did you notice anyone of Henry's friends acting off? Flinchy, nervous, sweaty, quieter than normal?"

"No, master."

"And you didn't see Henry when he was on duty?"

"No, I was drinking with Lopurs and Sedman in one of the game rooms."

Vaunders held his eyes for two minutes. I don't know if Vampires can read each others minds but Vaunders sure looked like he could. Maybe it was because Tirsyn was one of his Vampires.

"Very well, Tirsyn. You may leave." Vaunders said, pushing off the desk to stand.

Tirsyn nodded and floated off the chair. It was too smooth a movement to simply say he stood. His eyes flicked to me and he hesitated, looking Back to Vaunders he cleared his throat.

"Pardon me, but may I ask something irrelevant?" Tirsyn said.

Vaunders lifted an eyebrow and nodded his consent.

He motioned to me with a soft wave of his hand, "That is Marlee? The female Werewolf all the males seem to be in a frenzy over?"

Vaunders cast his eyes down to me before speaking, "She is."

Tirsyn gracefully dropped to one knee in front of me. I cocked my head to the side. He held out a hand before me and smiled.

"It is an honor to meet you, Miss Marlee. The male Wolves have been quite amusing these last few days, thanks to you. What do you say we meet later when you are in Human form and commix things? It should prove to be rather Zany"

I lent back, what did he just ask me? What did commix mean? And if it meant something perverted I was going to bite him on the nose. Zany didn't sound promising either.

"Tirsyn is bit of a troublemaker, Marlee. He's asking you if you would be interested in being a cohort in playing tricks on the Wolves." Vaunders interjected.

Oh. Well, in that case.

I turned back to Tirsyn and put my paw in his outstretched palm. His eyes sparkled, and the edges of his mouth tipped into a grin. He bent his head over my paw and actually kissed it as if it wasn't furry. He released my paw and rose back to his feet in that effortless manner.

He bowed to Vaunders and then to me and turned to leave.

"Ah, Tirsyn." Vaunders called to him, before he reached the door.

"My Lord?" Tirsyn turned back.

"Please do not mess with them too badly. I do need them to be able to perform their duties and nothing too provocative with Marlee. The Alpha has taken a liking to her and I need his head to be clear and not overrun with instincts to eliminate threats to him."

My head snapped up to Vaunders. He had caught that? Damn.

Tirsyn's eyes absolutely glittered with humor, "Thraxx? Really?"

"Tirsyn." It was a warning.

Tirsyn bowed again, "Of course my Lord."

He didn't exactly sound sincere.

"I will see you later Miss Marlee." Tirsyn said and left.

Vaunders shook his head and looked down at me.

"Be careful with that one, Marlee. He doesn't know when to stop sometimes."

I nodded.

He sighed and leaned back against the front of his desk, hands on the edge.

"Let us hope Thraxx is having better luck with the Wolves than we did."

Tirsyn was the last of the Vampires Vaunders had to question today and he was right he hadn't really gotten any real information. Only that Henry liked to keep a journal. I hoped it had something in it that could identify his killer but doubtful of it. You'd think if someone thought their lives were in danger they'd ask for help and not just write down the name in a book. If he even was aware he was in trouble.

Vaunders sighed again and pushed off the desk. He walked to a closet beside his desk and opened the door. Pulling out a black floor length coat he closed the door and laid the item on one of the chairs in front of his desk.

"Change, Marlee. Let us talk." He walked around and sat in his chair, bending his head over a folder.

I Changed and pulled on the coat, doing up the buttons and pushing up the selves. Vaunders looked up as I sat down on a chair and closed the folder in front of him.

Leaning back in his chair, Vaunders clasped his hands together on his desk, "How is your training coming along, Marlee?"

"A bit tiring, Thraxx is having me Change often to shave off the time it takes me to do so. should I need to I believe I can Change a lot faster now. It takes a lot of energy but I thinking that's coming along nicely. He's taught me how to act when on duty and what is expected of me."

Vaunders nodded his head.

"Your not having any problems with the men are you?"

I shook my head, "No, sir."

"That is good. Will you be joining the Pack then?"

I hesitated, "Yes."

"And that is entirely your decision?" He asked.

He'd caught my pause so I didn't falter this time, "Yes, mine entirely. I have weighted the pros and cons of both sides of it and have come to this decision"

"Very well, I wish you luck in the Pack."

"Thank you." I smiled at him.

"Just be careful with the males. Edgar says they can be somewhat of a problem with a female."

Was he trying to talk me out of joining the Pack?

I nodded again, "Thraxx has informed me of what to expect from the males."

"Perhaps you should talk to Edgar as well." He insisted.

I gave him a confused look, "I already have, sir. He confirmed what Thraxx told me and explained exactly how things would be like."

"Very well." He said again.

He didn't exactly sound like he condoned it. There was definitely more to this that he wasn't saying.

"Um, Sir?" I risked.

"Yes?"

"Is something wrong?"

He rubbed his face with his hand, "No, Marlee nothing is wrong. Yet."

"Yet?" I questioned.

"Please forgive me, Marlee. Your personal relationships are none of my business, but how my men do their job is. I worry how well they will be able to perform their tasks when their minds are souly occupied by hormones. I worry about Thraxx the most. I can tell he is very taken with you. Not wanting to leave you when he needed to be questioning his Pack. That concerns me deeply. He has been my guard for years and I need him to be at the top of his game."

That wasn't exactly fair. I couldn't help if the male wolf's mind turned to mush around me. It's not like I wanted them to.

"Forgive me, Vaunders." I said, "But I think Thraxx's reluctance to leave me here had more to do with him being angry with you than his feelings towards me. I have not Jeopardized how well your men do their work and can not be held accountable for their actions just because I am a female."

"It is unfair to hold you accountable for their action just because you are female," He conceded, "But I can hold you responsible because it is you that is effecting them."

I was mad. This was unjust. How dare he pin his men's lack of actions on me before any of them actually became distracted. And it not like I saw them a lot. I spend the majority of my working day in his office and only saw the people who were asked to come in. But the worst part of it all was that I could see it from his point of view. I hated when I was angry with someone and I could understand why they did what they did. sometimes I just wanted to be plain mad without thinking about their reasonings.

"With the duties you have given me, Vaunders, I rarely see another male, except Thraxx, so the other men won't have me being around as an excuse to their behavior. And until they do, if at all, shrink their duties this conversation is unnecessary."

"I am sorry, Marlee. This murder and challenge to my power has me considering everything before anything happens. It is my job to do so."

"I understand." I might not like it but I did understand.

"You may have the rest of the day off. If you happen to see Thraxx would you tell him I'd like him to report to me about his findings."

"Absolutely."

I got up and headed for the door.

"I'll return your coat once I'm dressed." I said, and left.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you guys for the 7th star!

Had my first college midterm guys.
And I didn't even know about it, lol.
Well I did but I thought it was next week.
Lets just say I was whipping out a photo as fast as I could.
But the teacher liked it so I'm safe.