Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

A Vicious Sound

I fumed my way through the house, receiving questioning looks from everyone I passed. Some actually moved out of my path. I was only vaguely aware that they were doing it. now that I was away from Vaunders I could let my anger

I was one floor away from my room and was coming up on one of the game rooms. I could hear the T.V. on and some kind of racing game being played. Clanks of the balls on the pool table, and some rough housing was indicated by thuds and grunts.

The door swung open and two guys, laughing, came out. I wasn't really paying attention to them, just pushed right pass through them. One grabbed my arm and pulled me to a stop. I froze, staring down at the hand banded around my upper arm. The guy chuckled and removed his hand to run it through his brown hair in a nervous gesture. I glared up at him before turning around.

"Hey, wait." He called after me.

Stopping, I sighed and turned to face him.

He waited for me to say something but when I didn't took a step towards me and smiled. Lifting both of his hands he framed my face. Not touching me, holding them about 2 inches from my skin.

"Your anger is radiating, babe."

Babe. I narrowed my eyes at him. I wasn't in the mood to be called endearments from a stranger right now.

He dropped his hands and smiled at me, "Not in the mood to talk, huh? Come on, babe, you can tell me anything."

"Who the hell are you? And if you call me 'babe' again you'll lose your 'boys'."

His friend behind him laughed.

His eyes narrowed and his face hardened. Guess he didn't like to be laughed at. Not my problem.

"Oh, your one of those bitchy girls, right? What happen, someone push your buttons?" He sneer and snapped off the middle button on Vaunders coat, baring my stomach.

I slapped him. Its a feminine reaction. I know. I should of punched him but I couldn't help the instinct.

His head jerked to the right with the force of it, nearly rocking him on his feet. He stilled, probably shocked that I actually hit him but seriously what did he expect? That I'd just let that go? Hell no.

Blood weld to the surface of his cheek in four slanted lines. I looked down at my hand. Skin was embedded under my nails. He turned his back and looked at me. He held my eyes as he raised his hand to his cheek, smeared the blood, and pulled it away to see the blood. His eyes narrowed into pinpricks and he snarled at me, the vibrations of it playing over my skin.

His snarl crawled its way into me, going deep down to my core and hitting my Wolf. She woke with a jerk. Rising through my blood, her hair bristled, ready to face the threat. She opened her jaws and let loose a sound I can only describe as pure maliciousness. The sound ripped through my throat, burning its way out of me.

The men in front of me literally jumped, wide-eyed, and stopped breathing. Like someone does in a dark movie theater when watching a horror movie. The sounds in the game room stopped. Silence rode the air and the whole house stood unmoving.

I brought my hand up to my mouth, fingertips resting on my lips. Amazed that my Human throat could make such an animalistic sound.

The man's eyes shifted, lifted to look behind me. It broke the stillness. I was hit by a rush of power at my back. I blinked and found myself looking at Thraxx's back.

His muscles were strung tight, his shoulders rounded, and hands were fisted. His power was pouring off him in fierce waves, choking me. He growled and kicked his power up another notch. I dropped my hand from my lips to my neck. I couldn't breathe. My legs felt like water. I fought to stay on my feet but couldn't help hunching over.

The men in front of Thraxx were unable to keep their legs from collapsing and their knees hit the floor. I could hear thuds in the game room and assumed that it meant they were kneeling also. This was too much.

I react out with my free hand and touched his shoulder. He stiffened with the initial contact then, in degrees, relaxed his shoulders. Turning, he saw my hand around my neck and, most likely, my huge eyes. His power dropped considerably. I inhaled desperately and dropped my hands to my side.

"Sorry." He muttered, "What happened?"

His eyes started at the top of my head and searched downward, looking for any harm. roaming over the details of my face, neck, and chest, His expiscatory eyes zeroed in on the missing button on the coat. His power rose a couple of degrees but stayed breathable.

He raised his hand as if to touch the coat but stopped, "What did he do?"

I shook my head, "Nothing Thraxx. I was angry already, He was just the poor guy that didn't know when to keep his mouth shut."

"And the coat?" He asked.

"Okay, he did do that." He growled again and I hurried to continue, "But only because I made him mad too. It was my fault."

He continued to stare at the gap in the coat and if it were under different circumstances I would of accused him of something, but I wasn't about to do that with his anger like this. Nope, not that stupid.

"Your fault he ripped your coat open." He said, sort of a growl.

Yeah, put it that way it did sound bad.

"Thraxx," I said and waited until his eyes lifted to mine, "I was pissed. He acted stupid. I marked his face. It's over. Everything's fine. Let it go."

"Why were you pissed?" he watched my eyes like the answer would scroll across them if he looked hard enough.

"I'll tell you later. Right now, right here, isn't the right time."

I could see he was fighting the thoughts in his head. He turned away from me, back to the men who stilled knelt on the floor. He took a menacing step forward that caused them to shrink back.

He crouched down in front of the one who I'd slapped, leaning into him, eyes completely focused on him like the wolf on a nervous rabbit.

"Why did you rip her clothing?" He asked, voice low.

"I'm sorry." The man said.

"That's not an answer to my question."

"Hurt pride. She made a fool out of me."

"I'll make a fool out of you if you ever decide to act like this again and I'll make your pride hurt in both senses of the word. I'll make it hurt so badly your tail will be tucked under you for a whole year." Thraxx threatened him.

I bit my lip. One hand: if Thraxx does all the threatening it'll make me look like some delicate female that needs a man to warn guys off. Other hand: that delicate female in me heart leapt with joy that he'd stick up for me. Decisions, decisions.

"You won't need to do that, Thraxx. I'll cut his tail clean off and he won't have anything to tuck under." I growled.

Thraxx looked over his shoulder at me and gave a stiff smile. I eagerly returned it, hoping to lessen the tension. He sighed and turned back to the man before him.

"Don't let your pride get you into trouble." He said and stood up.

"Yes, my Alpha." He nodded vigorously.

Thraxx left him and walked to me, placing a hand on my shoulder and showing me to the stairs. I shrugged off his hand and instantly regretted it. Thraxx went all stiff on me again. I shook my head and headed up the stairs to my room.

"Vaunders wants you to see him in his office to give him your report."

He didn't say anything, just kept pace behind me. I stopped and faced him.

"Did you not hear me? Go, Vaunders wants your report." I would not let Vaunders be right about me being a distraction. He had to go.

"Why are you angry?" He asked, ignoring what I said.

I made an impatient sound, "Later. Go."

"I'll go give my report after you tell me whats wrong."

I clenched my jaws together and spun around, bounding up the stairs.He followed.

"Look, I'm just PMSing, okay? Now go!" I was glad I wasn't facing him as I lied. And I hate that particular lie but if it would get him to go do his job I'd use it.

"Your PMSing." He said, in a tone I could tell he wasn't buying it.

I made another impatient sound and stormed down the hallway to my room. I opened the door and turned to place a hand on his chest, preventing him from following.

"I'm changing." I said and shut the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tired.