Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

Curiosity In Wolves

Thraxx was leaning against the opposite wall, arms banded around his chest, when I opened my door. I paused, Vaunders coat draped over my arm. His face was set in hard lines and a seriously tone was in his green eyes.

"Tell me whats wrong, Marlee." He said, very calmly.

I stood there, debating whether or not I should I should really tell him.

"Marlee." He whispered.

I chewed on my bottom lip.

"I don't want to be a distraction to you." I admitted.

His eyebrows drew down in confusion, "A distraction? Who said you were a distraction?"

I wasn't tell him that one. He was already upset with Vaunders.

"You being here proves that I am. I told you Vaunders wanted your report and you won't leave me until I tell you whats wrong. I'm distracting you from your job."

He shook his head, "I didn't get anything from the wolves I questioned. Nothing urgent."

"Still . ." Was all I had to say.

He was quiet. Studying me.

"You said you were pissed before I even was around. Why?"

Great. "Because I was thinking I was a distraction and I don't want to be. I was thinking of how to talk to you about it and this is not how I planned it."

"Who told you you were a distraction, Marlee?" His voice and eyes were so serious, so compelling it was hard to bite my tongue.

"No one." I said, voice leveled.

He dropped his arms to his sides and pushed off the wall, closing in on me, making me feel trapped against the wall "Your lying, but I'm letting it go to show you that I won't let you distract me from my job." His voice wasn't as pleasant as it could of been.

Fabulous. Now he is either hurt because I won't talk to him about it or hes mad. I sighed and followed him down the hall. I stopped on the next floor, looking for the coats missing button. It was dangling over the edge of the first step on the next set of stairs.

We didn't talk the rest of the way to Vaunders' office, though that didn't mean that the people we passed didn't talk about us. I blew out a heavy sigh. You make one loud, predatory sound while in Human form and everyone stares at you. What was this place, high school? Give me a break, not even my school was that bad.

Thraxx banged loudly on Vaunders' door and I kept myself from shooting him an aggravated look. Hurting doors wasn't going to solve the problem, big boy. Oh God, did I just call him 'big boy'? Note to self: get some rest, some thing's wrong with you.

Vaunders uttered our admittance and Thraxx pushed the door open, showing Vaunders still sitting at his desk. Yeah, something was wrong with me and that something was a Master Vampire.

I took a silent breathe and walked into the office, Thraxx following me, shutting the door behind himself. Vaunders looked up and nodded at us, his eyes hesitating a little on mine. Good, be wary.

I laid the coat on one of the chairs and placed the missing button on his desk.

"Sorry, I wasn't really thinking when I took it off." I explained.

Yes, I lied. But would you tell him, the man that thinks you're a distraction to every guy in the place, that one of his men did it because I was being slightly bitchy? And that he would mostly likely hold it over me as prove of his idiotic thought? I didn't think so.

His eyes narrowed just a bit on mine and nodded again. Glare all you want, I thought. Better to have you think I was being vindictive and ripped the button off myself. I turned to leave and Thraxx caught my eye, making me pause in my steps. His eyes slid over my shoulder to Vaunders, then back to mine. His eyes grew darker, sharper, telling me he suspected
Vaunders was behind my current attitude.

I kept my face blank and shook my head once. Please don't start anything. Please, just give your report nicely and move on. Begging him silently in my head. He seemed to get it because he gave a single nod in return. I suppressed a sigh and rewarded him with a grateful smile. His eyes lightened, just a little, but I'd take it.

I closed the door after me and stopped. To go back to my room or downstairs? Downstairs it is.

Once downstairs, facing a room filled with people I realized something. I didn't know too many people here really. Other than Edgar, Thraxx, Solomon, and maybe even possibly Lyer. I had no friends. The Wolves were all, supposedly, interested in me in a sexual way. And even thought at times that can make a woman feel nice, having nothing but that kind of attention is draining. I didn't even really want to be friends with anyone in this room. Does that make me anti-social?

I blew out a sigh and exited from the room, receiving a few confused looks from the ones that had watched me enter. I headed for the front door. This day has been officially labeled as 'Bad' in my book. I needed to blow off some steam and forget the last couple of hours. Just cheer myself up.

I sprinted my way to the Pack's Clearing, soon to be my Clearing too, and walked up the steps to the stone thrones. Looking around to make sure no ones was there, out of habit, I pulled my shirt over my head and placed it on the throne I usually used.

Changing complete, I took a minute to breathe in the smell of the woods around me. Deep, calmly breathes meant to relax. I stretched out my muscles, already starting to feel better, and shook myself like a wet dog. There was just something about this place that soothed away all my tension but yet something was off today.

I did a perimeter search, snout to the ground to pick up anything I might has missed at first. many distant smells of the Wolves in the Pack, nothing out of the ordinary, until I'd made I complete circle and ended up back by the thrones. Thraxx. Once I picked up his scent it engulfed me, surrounding me completely to cradle my body gently.

That's what was wrong, what was different. Evey time I'd been here, Thraxx had been here also. Now that he wasn't I found myself saddened. A piece of me felt empty, like something was messing, and the hollowness of it was aching. I almost turned tail and ran back to the house to find him but I stopped myself. it hasn't even been a week. I was not the type of person whom fell in love quickly. I didn't believe in love at first sight, only the brand of love that came after truly knowing someone and letting them truly know you as well, no matter how hard that could be. I wasn't going to just let myself harbor those types of feeling now for a man, in reality, that I didn't even know.

But something in me shouted back that I did. Shaking my head to rid the subject from my thoughts I turned away from the house and ran. I ran for hours, loosing myself in the feel of the air rushing through my lungs, my paws pounding softly at the ground, all of my senses up and on alert. Only when the sky started to darken did I stop and head back for the Clearing. A good thing about being a Wolf is that you can never really get lost, you gain that extra sense.

I was three miles away, trotting lightly, when that all familiar tingle playing over my spine like fingertips. goosebumps broke out and raised my hair. I stopped, sinking down into a crouch. by the intensity of the tingle I knew there was someone with a heavy dose of Power heading my way. I just hoped I'd be down wind of them and they'd never realize I was there.

Nikoli, his black hair tied back the way it was when I first saw him, stepped into view. I clamped my teeth together from making any sort of noise and giving away my position. He was walking carefully, his pale blue eyes roaming over everything. I held my breathe, not daring to move, when his eyes swept over me, passing me.

He continued on. I wanted to blow out a sigh of immense relief but knew not too, he was still too close yet and with his Wolf hearing, I'd be caught. As I watched his form grow smaller my legs started to shake. Either I was going to follow him or run like hell back to the house, wipe it from my mind, and never speak of this moment to anyone.

I followed, silently praying that curiosity didn't kill this cat. .er, Wolf.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmmmmmmm.

Thanks for the 8th star!
Last one of the weekend most likely.