Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

A Broken Accident

I lost him.

How one loses someone when they have the nose and ears of a Wolf is lost on me, but it happened. He just vanished. I turned and quickly made my way back to the Clearing when I couldn't find his scent, not wanting to be caught with my pants down, and have him sneak up behind me.

The longer I was out here alone, not knowing where he had went was getting to me. Like invisible eyes boring into my back. By the time I reached the Clearing I was a bundle of nerves. I practically ran for my clothes and hastily pulled them on, falling against the arm of the throne as I stepped into my pants. I quickly pulled up my hair into a lazy bun and sucked in a deep breathe. If I saw anyone now I could just claim I was training on my own. It was logical and it would explain away the nervous sweat on my skin.

I picked my way through the trees back to the house very carefully. I didn't see anyone out patrolling when I broke free of the cover of the trees. My mind was a whorl of any possible reasons why Nikoli would be out there. All of my thoughts weren't positive. I knew something wasn't right with him. My Wolf was always alert when he was around, untrusting.

A hand landed on my shoulder. Without thinking I spun and lashed out, fist colliding with their face to make a crackling sound. They made a surprised noise in their throat and cupped both hands to their nose.

"Christ, Marlee." Solomon exclaimed.

Shit.

"Oh my God! Solomon, I am so sorry. I wasn't thinking. Oh my God." I frantically pulled on his sleeve and ran to the side of the house, where the door to the kitchen was. I slammed the door opened, causing the staff to pause in their work, and quickly ushered Solomon in and sat him down on a stool.

"Someone get me some napkins and do we have a doctor? Get him!" I screamed.

A pile of napkins was placed on the table beside Solomon and I snatched a wad up, made him lean forward and held them gently against his face.

"Solomon, I am so sorry. Really. If their is anything I can do please let me know. I really owe you for this. God, I'm sorry."

I was biting on my lower lip hard, tearing at the skin. I felt horrible. What was I thinking! I wanted to slam my head repeatedly against the marble counter. I was so caught up in my own thoughts about Nikoli that I just freaked when he touched me. I think I thought it was Nikoli.

Why hadn't I sensed Solomon coming up behind me? There had been no warning from my Wolf. No tingling sensation crawling down my spine to forewarn me anyone was behind me.
I was half hugging Solomon, trying to comfort myself, I think, more than him, and holding the wad of napkins against his nose when Thraxx and Dr. Yuron came into the kitchen.

Yuron never paused, just hurried to us and removed my hand to see the damage. Thraxx, on the other hand, stopped and his eyes narrowed in on my arm wrapped around Solomon.
His power whispered through the room. An underlying current of threat. I shot him a very mean look but it turned to a look of distraught when Solomon made a pained sound. I turned my attention back to the matter at hand and cooed pathetically at him.

"It's broken." Dr. Yuron said, gently feeling Solomon's nose.

My heart dropped to churn around in my stomach, guilt was a horrid lump in my throat, and pressure welled up against the back of my eyes. I could not believe this.

Solomon reached out and patted hand hand that was rubbed up and down his arm.

"It's okay, Marlee." He said.

I shook my head, "No, it's not. I can't believe I broke your nose!" I tucked my head into his shoulder, not wanting anyone to see the tears that threatened to spill.

Hands came down to rest on my shoulders, I tensed and then relaxed when I realized it was Thraxx. His hands rubbed my shoulders in a soothing manner, his head bent down next to my ear.

"He's A Werewolf, Marlee. This isn't his first broken nose." He whispered to me.

"What do you mean?" My words muffled by Solomon's shoulder, "His nose was perfectly straight and I broke it!"

"Marlee," Thraxx tired again, "His nose will be fine. Werewolves heal fast remember? Yuron here will set it and his nose will be as perfect as it was this morning."

Hope sparked in my turning stomach and I raised my head to look at him, "Really?"

He smiled at me, "Really."

I looked at Yuron for confirmation. He nodded.

I looked at Solomon, "And this isn't your first broken nose?"

"No," He said.

Knowing this did lift some of the guilt but not all of it. I still caused him pain. I frowned.

"Well, I'm still sorry," I apologized again, "Would you like to hang out in my room? We can watch a movie and I'll take care of you." I offered, needing to make it up to him in some way, no matter how small.

Thraxx's hands stilled on my shoulders. I ignored him, waiting for Solomon's response.

"I can't," He said, "I have to go back to work. My shift isn't over."

My heart fell again, He couldn't go back to work when he was healing.

I shook my head, "You don't have to go back to work, does he Thraxx?" I turned to him.

His face was hard, set into place like stone. He looked down into my distressed eyes and after a few moments his softened. He took in a long breath, held it, and slowly let it out. Closing his eyes and shaking his head. He opened his eyes again and gave me a somewhat stiff smile.

"No, he doesn't." He said.

I smiled brightly up at him, removed my arm from around Solomon so I could envelope Thraxx in a thankful hug, my face cuddling into his chest. His body was very tense.

I lifted my head to look up at him, "Thank you, you can come watch it with us right?" I asked.
His arms came up to hug me back and I felt his body relax, the rest of his face softening as well.

"Let me wrap up a few things and I'll met you guys up there, okay?" I nodded. He looked at Solomon, "Don't start anything without me there." His words were neutral but a look crossed his face, making it some how feel like a warning.

Solomon nodded his head once and I said, "We won't."

Thraxx nodded too, ducked his head down and brushed his lips over mine. It was a soft, very gentle kiss. I pulled him closer to me and rose up onto my toes, sealing my lips to his. His arms tightened around me in response. We slowly parted, he straightened and I lowered myself back down. He smiled softly at me and I couldn't help but to return it.

Movement caught my attention and I turned. Everyone in the kitchen had stopped moving, staring at us and began to fidget, unsure of what to do. I felt my eyes go wide. I had forgotten about them. Turning back to Thraxx his soft smile grew into a one filled with male pride before he ducked down again and kissed my forehead. He unwrapped his arms from me and left.

I turned back to Solomon and Yuron. Solomon was smiling and the doctor was trying to act like he hadn't seen a thing. I blushed.

"Is he ready to go yet?" I asked impatiently, wanting nothing more than to go hide in my room for a couple of hours.

"Yes, I've set his nose back." Yuron said.

"Good," I said, grabbing Solomon's arm. "Let's go."

And I high tailed it out from under everyone's heavy gaze.
♠ ♠ ♠
Got one out before Saturday, rejoice!
lol
Totally kidding.

but THANKS! for the 9th star, you guys rock. Plain and simple.