Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

The Offer

Who was this Edgar Bross? More importantly what did he want with me? If he truly thought he was going to train me he was beyond stupid. Once I was outside, away from this place, I would run and shift back to my human form as safely as possible.

It had to have been an hour before Edgar reemerged into the room and I was standing at attention again. His brisk, confident steps seemed to call to me. He was a leader. I didn't like that. I was a leader. My own leader.

That antsy feeling was back and was crawling all over my body like little insects, which made me flinch as a way to rid me of the feeling. He crouched to my eye level, right outside my cage. He stared at me for a few moments before he spoke.

"Hello, pretty girl." He said quietly.

I snorted. Was this one for real?

He chuckled at my reaction.

"Ready to get out of that cage?" He asked, quietly again.

I liked the sound of that and couldn't help the slight whine that emitted from my throat. He grinned.

"Thought so," He reached into his back pocket and pulled out a leash.

I narrowed my eyes at it and snarled at him. No way.

"I know" He said. "But if you want to get out of here your going to have to put up with it for the time being."

I scowled at him. He was right. Damn. I didn't want him to be right.

"Are you going to cooperate?" He questioned.

After a few moments of sending him hateful glares I nodded once shortly. He grinned again and without hesitation unlocked my cage and opened the door. The workers stopped to watch what would happen. Stiffly, I allowed him to attach the leash to the chain collar on my neck. He stood up and took a step back to allow me to step out of the cage. I stretched my back legs out first, holding that slight tremble of muscle for a moment, followed by my front legs, that had me sticking my butt up in the air. It felt nice to be free of that cage. Edgar closed and locked the cage.

He led me to the back door and held it open for me. Well, he's a gentleman, I'll give him that. Once I heard the door shut behind us I felt a wonderful sensation rush through me. It was great to be outside.

"I'll take off the muzzle if you promise to behave." Edgar said.

Well, so much for him being gentlemanly. I scowled up at him before I gave another quick nod. Sitting I turned my head up towards him to give him better access to the muzzle. With quick hands he removed the cursed thing and threw it into the dumpster that was beside the steps.

"The black van is mine." He said, gesturing behind me.

I turned and we walked down the steps. He was holding the leash limply. I could easily rip that out of his hand. With that thought in mind I lunged away from him, only to choke myself. He had tightened his hold before the leash had slipped through his fingers. But it didn't matter to me, I continued to thrash about and choke myself more. Very sensible, I know, but it would all be worth it if I could get away.

"Hey now!" He said, holding tight to the leash,"You promised to behave."

At least I wasn't biting him. I'd say that shows some restraint.

He sighed and just decided to drag my struggling form to his van. He opened the passenger side door and placed me inside before quickly slamming the door shut. The chain collar loosened and I could breathe again, though it was ragged.

I sat there coughing and practically dry heaving while Edgar rounded the front of the van and hopped into the driver's seat.

"Now see," He said buckling his seat belt. "All of that was unnecessary."

I coughed again and glared at him out of the corner of my eye with slightly blurred vision.
He started the van and pulled out of his spot.

"Now that we're away from everyone I can freely talk to you."

I looked at him curiously. Was he crazy? Or did he often talk to 'dogs' he thought he could rehabilitate? I shook my head and decided I would ignore him for the rest of this trip to destinations unknown and look out the window.

"I know you are a werewolf." He stated.

Okay, ignoring him was out. I looked at him. Really looked at him. He wasn't a werewolf, that I knew for certain. He knew what I was though, so what sort of game was he playing at?

"I am a vampire." He continued.

I nearly fell off the seat. EXCUSE ME?
Vampires? Okay, now the logical part of my mind could take that. I mean I was a Werewolf after all, it would be terribly naive of me if I couldn't believe that other mythical creatures didn't exist as well. But he was tan. Vampires were supposed to be pallid. Right?

"My Lord has an offer for you," He glanced at me before returning his eyes to the road. "He has a wide expanse of land and he likes to hire Werewolves to be his grounds men."

A job? He was offering me a job? . . . As a guard?

"Wait until you see his lands and talk to him before you give an answer. You would have a lot of breathing room if you agreed." He said, obviously trying to sweeten his deal. "You'd live on the grounds though, so room and board, and food would be free."

I returned my gaze out the window as he drove, watching the city drift by. Free? Free was good. Who would turn down free? I could if it came with a catch.