Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

What Awaits Upstairs

Thraxx took two steps into the room, dropped to his knee and shot both guns at once. I watched two of the three men drop and the last one raising his gun toward Thraxx. Thraxx swung his right arm towards him and fired again. The bullet took him in the upper chest.

I think my jaw was agape and my eyes were wide. I shifted my paws because I didn't know what else to do. It wasn't like I could say what I wanted to him. Thraxx stood up and looked at me. His gaze serious.

"You don't become top bodyguard unless you know how to fight in both Forms."

I guess not. But, I had never thought of it. Didn't really see Thraxx as the gun type. I was wrong.

"And I told you to wait outside. Haven't even been a part of the Pack for three hours and your already disobeying me." He shook his head, "I can see the difficulties in my future."

Guns still in hand Thraxx headed for the back stairs. I treaded lightly after him, trying to keep my nails from clicking on the hardwood floor. As I pasted the bodies their scents drifted up to me. Werewolves and silver. Thraxx's guns were carrying silver and so were theirs. Kind of a scary thought. I wrinkled my nose at the silver smell and continued on.

I could here the fight in the front of the house. Shots being fired in intervals as one side sprayed the room while the other hide and waited for their turn to return fire.

Thraxx's footfalls were without sound. His clothes didn't rustle as he made hid way up to the next level and his ammo never clinked together. It was like watching the T.V. on mute. There was no music to amplify the danger of this situation. Just the rushing of my blood in my ears. This wasn't cable, this was my job.

What the hell had I been thinking when I told Vaunders and Edgar I'd do this? That I could do this? Aw, crap. Where was my Wolf? Why wasn't she here with me to tell me to quit being wimpy? Remind me to tap her nose next time she comes around. Okay, Marlee, shut up. It's not as bad as it seems. You've taken on many a Wolves. You can do this. I can do this.

It was the silver. It had to be the silver. I've never been in a fight with silver before and it was a terrifying thing. But I have a vest. Vests are good. No, they're great. Vests stop bullets all the time. I'm being ridiculous. I'll be fine.

Thraxx reached the next landing and paused. I froze too. I couldn't sense anyone around the corner. Did Thraxx? I took a step closer so I was right at his back. He slid into a crouch and placed the gun in his right hand, on his knee. I panicked, nudged him in the back. What the hell was he thinking. He can't put his gun down when this wasn't over yet. If he got shot I don't know what I'd do.

With his right hand he reached behind him, his eyes still facing forward, and smoothed his hand over my head. The warmth of his hand sunk through my fur and warmed me. soothed me. My doubts and worries disappeared.

"Relax, Marlee. They'll smell you coming if you don't. I've got you covered. No one is going to touch you." He said, scratching behind my left ear before picking up his gun again.

I barely processed what he said before he started moving again. When we reached the fourth story of the house I started to wonder where everyone was. We hadn't ran into anyone other than the ones in the kitchen. I could still hear the gunshots from the front of the house, but it seemed to be dieing down.

The next three landings were clear. Absolutely no one. My nose, though, was so clouded. They had been up here. None of whom I've smelled before in this house. And since the next story was the top, Vaunders', Thraxx's, and my rooms, I knew that they had to be who ever was invading us at the moment. Barely anyone came up to the top floor without permission. And this scent was decidedly dead. Vampires.

Thraxx stopped at the exact moment that cold, invisible hand dragged it's fingers down my spine. Goose bumps flared all over my skin. My instinctive signal informing me that someone was awaiting us on the top floor. A passing thought about someone in my room had my eyes narrowing and lips in a thin tight line.

That familiar brush of fur against the inside of my stomach let me know my Wolf didn't like that thought either. I nor her had permitted anyone into our territory and it got a rise out of her. Oh, sure. Now she comes. Maybe I shouldn't complain. I did want her around. Plus, I would need her once we made our way up these last set of steps. Because there was one thing I knew was going to happen. I was going to kill someone. A person. Yes, I said that this was a hunt, and it was, it's just that this wasn't my normal prey.

Yeah, I definitely needed her.

Thraxx holstered his guns. If there were no Wolves up there, and he only had silver bullets, the guns were just taking up his hands when he needed them free. He knelt on the stairs, his left hand grabbing one of the sunlights and pulling it free of its hold. Taking another in his right hand. With his thumb he pointed to me and then with his pointer finger to the stairs beside him. I crouched, making my way silently to his side. He lowered himself onto his stomach and elbows, and began to crawl up the steps, his movements well thought out.

With his thumbs he pressed the sides of the sunlights and flipped a lever up. Throwing them immediately up and onto the landing of the top floor. Rustling of clothing and clicking of the guns let us know that the Vamps had turned, guns ready, towards the movement.

"Shit." A voice cursed as a flood of intense white light washed over everything.

I had to take a moment to blink at the new light, but my eyes quickly adjusted. Thraxx was already moving up on the landing, fighting. I launched to all four paws and hurried after him. At first glimpse I saw a Vamp crumpled, head twisted around, on the floor to the right of the landing. Another crashed into the wall, wood splattering out around him, leaving blood trails as he slid to the floor. Thraxx worked fast.

The smell of blood, sharp and potent, grabbed my wolf's keen attention, drawing her into the instant predator that she was. I moved aside to allow her to guide me, trusting her to know exactly how to get through this with accuracy and without injury. Movement caught her fervid gaze.

A Vampire was moving in behind Thraxx, whom was exchanging blows with the one in front of him. The possible threat to the unaware Thraxx propelled me into motion. Two full body stretching gallops and a crouched leap brought me slamming into the Vampire. He lurched forward with the force of impact and I dug my claws into his shoulders, getting a good grip on him. My mouth opened in a snarl, canines plunging deeply into the back of his neck. My wolf took a second to savor the feeling of dominance over her prey. It was cut short as said prey raised a hand to reach behind him, toward me. With a powerful tug and rotation of my neck we twisted and jerked his neck to the side. The snap was thick.

I rode down to the floor with him as his lifeless body dropped. A second thud came from right in front of me. Informing me that Thraxx's opponent met with the same fate as his companion. Lifting my eyes I found Thraxx rushing to meet a charging into his next fight. Those seconds I took to watch him were bad judgment. A hand fisted in the fur of my neck, yanking me off my kill.
The new Vampire held me up by the scruff of my neck, suspending me in the air, and turn me to face him. His lips parted, giving me a fine view of his lengthened incisors, and hissed in my face. Pure instinct had my paw raising, nails stretched out, and driving into the front of his throat, cutting off his hiss.

He dropped me unconsciously, stumbling backwards against the wall, clutching his gaping wound. I landed on my feet, already tensed for my jump. I nailed him to the wall and descended ravenously on the wound. tearing it opening further, teeth worrying to get to the bone. His blood gushing steadily over my muzzle, seeping into my mouth, and down the front of his body, he grabbed my fur on both sides at the same time I locked onto the bone at the back of his throat. He shoved me away from him, sending me into the opposite wall. We both slid down to the floor together with one minor distinction between us. His spinal column was clamped in my jaws.

Thraxx appeared above me, bending down to take the bone out of my mouth. He threw it behind him and his hand returned to stroke hurriedly with gentleness over my body.

"You okay?" He asked, feeling for any wounds. Watching me to see if I flinched.
I nodded, standing up and shaking myself out. I rotated my shoulders and hind quarters, relieving the pent up tension.

Thraxx bent his head down to my level, giving my nose a quick lick. Cleaning off the blood on it. He smiled down at me as he pulled back, "You did great."

His supporting encouragement instantly warmed me and I smiled a rather toothy and blood soaked smile. He laughed lowly and straightened, resuming his war mode. Stiffly and slowly he made his way to Vaunders' door, me right on his heels. He crouched and pulled one gun, ready for anything. Moving his hand up to reach the doorknob, it moved before he could touch it. He stilled.

It opened eerily with no one standing in the opened space. I flicked a look Thraxx's way to see what he made of it. He was intently watching the doorway. Waiting.

"Come in, Thraxx." Someone, who was not Vaunders, spoke from deep within the room.

Thraxx stood. Shifting his armed hand to his side. His unarmed hand reached out and pushed the door until it thunked against the wall. Thraxx moved into the doorway, his gaze sweeping the room. Taking in what exactly it was we were dealing with. I moved up beside his leg, peeking around the door frame to get a gather for myself.

Vaunders was sitting in a chair set far back in the room. A Vampire stood shielded, behind him. His hand curved around Vaunders neck, the other pressing a stake to the side of it. There were three other Vampires. One stood a couple of feet to their right, next to the bed, gun raised and pointed toward us. The insurance policy. One stood a couple of feet to our right. Making sure no surprises snuck up on them through the opened door. The last one stood against the wall to our left. Presumably, the one who had opened the door for us.

And Nikoli, arms folded across his chest, was perched against a dresser to Vaunders' left. A slow curving, sickeningly sweet smile spread across his lips as he met my look.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been quite awhile, huh?

Sorry, but when ordering a part for your broken computer directly from the company, shipping can take up to 4 weeks. Not a happy time when your a computer addict, or when half of your next chapter was on that computer, waiting for you.

But everything is better now. Computer is back, my finals are over, and I am on winter break. College life is great. :-D