Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

Words In A Room

Thraxx took two steps into the room. I saw him deliberately relax his shoulders and raise his head, ready to face any challenge this Vampire might provide.

The Vampire behind Vaunders shifted, catching my gaze intently. He ran his unarmed hand through his hair and smiled at me. It was the cat who ate the canary smile. He turned his head and looked at Nikoli. Nikoli, obviously felling his gaze, slid his pale blue eyes in his direction. The vampire hitched up one eyebrow gracefully, inquiringly. Nikoli gave him a short nod before looked back to Thraxx and I.

The Vampire turned to me with a bright smile, "You also, Marlee."

I took a small step into the room, most of my body still hidden by the wall, then took two large ones. Feeling silly to be hiding behind a wall when I was covered in Kevlar. Those steps brought me right back to beside Thraxx's leg. The Vampire smiled beatifically.

"Denvin," Thraxx spoke, drawing the Vampire's attention away from me, "What did you hope to achieve with all of this? You kill Vaunders, I kill you, You never get to claim the title of 'Lord of Vampires'."

Denvin. I'd heard that name before. I felt my eyes narrow as I tried to remember where I had heard it. Denvin. I flashed back to the first time I'd met Thraxx. Him taking Solomon and I to Edgar's office. There! We'd interrupted Edgar with two Vampires. One whose name was Denvin. Were they the same? Probably.

Denvin Laughed merrily. If this had been a movie that laugh would of ruined the Vampire's stereotypical dark image. It was a sound of pure amusement.

"You would avenge him, would you?" Denvin asked. "I think not. Not after what I am about to offer you."

Nikoli tensed. His attention now fully on Denvin.

Thraxx shook his head, "Doesn't matter what you offer me. I can't be absolutely sure anything that passes your lips aren't lies."

Denvin waved away Thraxx's words with his unarmed hand. "You'll still be head of my security, but of course with much more benefits than you get now. More power among your Wolves. No one will dare even look you in the eye. A bonus and raise in pay. Nice vacations. Exotic places you could take Marlee too. Locations guaranteed to sweep her off her feet and into your bed."

My lip curled. He was insulting my character right in front of me without even a thought to what I would do. Disgusting.

Thraxx never hesitated, "No."

The amusement in Denvin's smile slipped. Turning it into a frown of confusion. He studied Thraxx's face, looking for what Thraxx would want in return for allowing him his goal.

"I'll give you Nikoli." He said quietly. "I'll turn him over to you to be sentenced by your pack for betraying you all."

Nikoli whipped his head around, his face contorting into a snarl, "What?" he exclaimed. Denvin just held up a hand for his silence, eyes glued to Thraxx, waiting for his answer.

"Either way," Thraxx said, "If you live or not, Nikoli will face the consequences of his choices."

Denvin stared at him, his lips thinning his displeasure, "Fine then." He snapped.

He reached into his pocket pulling out a hand gun and stretched his arm out, gun offered up in his palm, to Nikoli.

"Come, Nikoli. Come and claim your reward for the part you played in this."

Nikoli's pale blues took on a harsh edge. Steeling and bitter cold they were as he pushed off the dresser and made his way to Denvin's side. He paused, eyes sliding over the proffered gun like a lovers gaze. He raised his hand and slowly slid his fingers over the barrel, caressing every curve. Curling his fingers around the handle he carefully took it from Denvin and brought it up to be inspected by those frozen eyes. Raising those icy eyes he locked them onto Thraxx.

A shiver ran through me. I shook it off and took a step forward, curling my lips back further, exposing my glistening teeth, and growled viciously. I always knew Nikoli was a bastard. There had been something not right with him and this was what it had been. He had been planning to kill Thraxx.

Nikoli dropped those cold pale blue eyes to mine. I watched as amusement flared across his mouth. "Always felt the need to challenge me, little wolf." He said mockingly.

My growl dropped lower, resonating through me and rippling out of my throat. Nikoli ignored me, returning his gaze to Thraxx. As they stood there, staring at one another, it felt as if the rest just fell away. All there was was the Alpha and his second and I was an outsider peering into the screen.

Nikoli shifted, his hand raising. Thraxx tensed, his shoulders bracing.

Nikoli's hand leapt up and fired.

There was a stunned pause as everyone in the room forced their brains to process what they had just witnessed. Mine cranked into motion as I watched Denvin's body fall. Vaunders grabbed the hand with the stake in it and shoved it away from him, safely freeing himself.

Nikoli hadn't shot Thraxx. He'd killed Denvin.

One of Denvin's Vampires shifted, his mind obviously telling him that the situation had just taken a drastic turn, and then the room exploded into turmoil.
♠ ♠ ♠
Isn't this fun?