Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

A Talk After

Vaunders shot off the chair he was being kept on and lunged at the Vampire that was near the bed. Using a fist full of the Vampire's hair he yanked his head up and to the side, efficiently exposing the neck. Vaunders slapped the gun out of the other Vampire's hands before he struck down on his neck, fangs sinking in deeply. Thraxx blurred to the right of the room, towards the Vampire who had shifted after Denvin fell.

Thraxx grabbed the barrel of the gun and snapped it off. The Vampire stared down at his gun in disbelief, giving Thraxx plenty of time to place a hand around the Vampire's jaw and the other at the back of the head. I watched Thraxx, for the second time tonight, snap a Vampire's neck. Nikoli repeated Thraxx's actions on Denvin. Making sure the head Vampire wouldn't be getting up.

While I watched everyone else I stood there frozen. Very confused and unaware that I wasn't moving to help any of them. That is, until the black haired one that had been against the wall of the door pushed passed me and ran out of the room.

I bolted after him out into the hallway, intending to pin him to the stairs, but instead of going right, towards the staircase, he turned left, deeper into the hallway towards Thraxx's and my room. He twisted my door's handle and shoved opened the door, slipping into my bedroom. I picked up my pace and skidded a little as I turned to enter my room.

The Vampire was already in the middle of my room, looking over his shoulder, watching me come in through the door after him. He swung his head forward and kept running. Never slowing down as he reached the other side of the room he jumped, shattering my window and dropped out of sight.

I froze at the unexpectedness of what he had just done. We we're seven flights up and he just jumped through my window. I snapped myself back into motion and ran to the broken window. Careful of the glass I placed my front paws on the sill and leaned out to look down. There was a patch of sparkling grass, evidence of where he landed, but no body. I searched the area, scanning quickly for which way he went, and found his shadow on the edge of the trees. I backed up, dropping my paws on the ground and headed back to the others.

Someone had piled the bodies against the wall on the right of the door. Vaunders was standing at the foot of his bed talking into his phone, informing someone that Denvin was dead and that the fighting downstairs needn't continue. Nikoli was calmly sitting in the chair Vaunders was placed in by Denvin and Thraxx was standing in the middle of the room. Both Werewolves flicked their eyes towards the door as I came in. I emitted a low, slightly confused, but warning growl towards Nikoli. His eyes returned to watching Vaunders and I turned to Thraxx.

Stopping in front of him I looked up and grumbled at him, shaking my whole body and nudging him with my nose on his knee. He bent down to undo the straps of the K-9 vest and I turned, placing my side towards him so he could get it off faster. After a few clicks, snaps, and tugs Thraxx lifted the vest off me and placed it down beside him. I shook my body again, stretching out my back, feeling my muscles relax. I huffed a contented breath of air.

I looked around the room and it's occupants, thought about it, and walked back out the door to Change forms in the privacy of my own room. I reentered Vaunders' room a few minutes later fully dressed in a pair of black sweats, my hair tied up into a messy bun, and no shoes. Vaunders was still on his phone. Pacing now, back and forth in front of his bed. I walked to Thraxx's side.

"I'm a bit confused here." I admitted to him in a quite whisper. He looked down at me. "Nikoli set us up, right? What are you going to do with him? I mean even if he did kill Denvin, which is the part I'm confused about, he was on their side."

Vaunders hung up his phone, "Nikoli was never on Denvin's side."

My brow furrowed, "What?"

"I told you once before, when we first met, that many Vampires were vying for my position. Most of them formally challenge me. Calling me out to come against them in a fair fight. The honorable ones do that, it is the ill-bred ones, like Denvin, that sneak into my house and spread like mold. Creating groups of followers out of my men. Nikoli finds these groups and infiltrates them, gathering all the information we need so that we can act accordingly."

I frowned, "But wouldn't they get suspicious of him coming to them and snooping around in all their business? That would put him in quite a dangerous situation should they not buy it completely."

Thraxx smiled at me and looked at Nikoli. Nikoli smiled at his Alpha than turned to me.

"When one wants to take down an Alpha, their best bet is the man who would succeed him." Nikoli said. "They came to me."

I looked at him. really looked at him. The cold eyes that at no time ever missed a single thing. The hardness of his face. I watched the tension that was running through him even now when there was no one else to take down.

I turned back to Thraxx, "How could you trust that he wouldn't think that the other vampire's offer was better than what you guys are offering?"

He smiled at me. A warm one.

"I not only trust Nikoli to do this, but I also trust him with my life. He is my best friend and has never betrayed me. Wolves are loyal creatures, Marlee, and it takes a much more powerful force than Denvin to break that bond."

I felt my mouth drop open.

"Your best friend." I reiterated him. "How can he be your best friend? I've never seen you two be civil with one another. You don't hang out together, actually I've see you avoid each other."

Nikoli laughed, came out of the chair and walked over to Thraxx and I. He wrapped an arm around Thraxx's shoulders and faked a punch at his stomach.

"He saved me." Nikoli said. "I was a very angry person after my first change. Did a lot of Dumb stuff."

"Dumb?" Thraxx questioned.

"Idiotic," Nikoli tried again, "Foolish, brainless, rash, senseless-"

Thraxx cut him off. "We get it."

Nikoli flashed him a smile. "I was going down fast with no intention of ever coming up. Thraxx found me and brought me back here. He really whipped me back into shape. The first couple of months were hard but he never gave up on me. Thraxx made sure I made it through." His met my eyes and his grew serious. "I owe him everything."

I didn't know what to say to that. thankfully I didn't have to. Vaunders spoke next, drawing everyone's attention.

"Now that you've seen to true workings of this house, Marlee, there is a question you have to ask yourself." He said. "Are you willing to say and continue as my bodyguard or is this all too much for you and you'd rather leave?"

I bit my lip. That was a big question. I looked at Thraxx as if he could answer it for me. He just stared back. I blew out a sigh. No, this decision was all mine.

I had met some really great people during my time at Vaunders' estate. Solomon was the best. Though I had met some I'd of been better off not meeting. My room here had become a kind of sanctuary. Where as the rest of the house was filled with legions of testosterone driven men. Which can be a really dreamy thing, but can also get, at times, very tiring. Thraxx was here and even if we haven't really talked about us I did not want to leave him. Then there was the fact that here my Wolf could run around as much as she wanted. There was no need to hide what I really am. Yeah, there was a lot of fighting but I'd be lying if I said I couldn't take it. Just the opposite, I loved it. Or at last a part of me. the adrenaline pulsing with every beat of my heart, my nose drawing in every scent, every emotion. It was like hunting on a bigger field and I reveled in it.

"I'm staying here." I said.

Thraxx grabbed my shoulders and turned me to face him to slide his arms around me and pull me to him. He hugged me tight, our faces pressed into the other's necks. He pulled back and found my lips in a heated kiss.

"I knew it." I heard Nikoli say. "Didn't I tell you? I knew it."

Thraxx broke the kiss and gave him a dark look, "Keep quite." Then he returned to place a soft kiss on my lips.

Nikoli just laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
*peeks through fingers*
How was it?
Did you like the ending? oh and don't unsubscribe, I'll anounce when I'm puting the sequel up.

P.S. There is an epilogue