Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

Lord Glenn Vaunders' Estate

I heard a window rolling down. I opened my eyes and found that we were outside a gate with an extremely high fence. I must of fell asleep. Edgar was leaning out his window and punching a number into the key pad. There was a faint click and the gates slowly opened.

"Welcome to Lord Glenn Vaunders' estate." Edgar informed me.

This Lord Glenn Vaunders' driveway was gravel. The grass surrounding it was such a lush color, but I didn't see a house. I looked at Edgar inquisitively, then straight head of me, squinting to see what was beyond. I still didn't see anything though.

"His house is located towards the middle and to the right of his land, but not exactly in the middle of it. That would be to easy for an attack."

An attack? Those were certainly ear catching words. To bad I couldn't ask what he meant while I was still in this form. I sighed and rested back into my seat to wait. At least the view was gorgeous. After about 25 minutes, I got that antsy feeling again. That unnatural feeling. I stood up on my seat and paced in the small area. lifting my forepaws and setting them down, repeating the process over and over again.

Edgar was watching me do all of this.
"How long have you been a werewolf?" He asked, even though I couldn't answer him.

Now that was a topic I really didn't want to bring up. I disliked thinking about my attack.
Something peeked up from the horizon. I leaned forwards to get a better look at it. It was a roof. Well at least we were getting closer. I watched as the roof kept raising from the horizon. After I saw a fourth window rise up I decided that this wasn't a house it was a damn mansion.

The closer we got the more my body was throwing a fit. I tried to sit and be still but I couldn't. My paws moved, my tail swished back and forth, and my ears kept twitching. Edgar had an amused look on his face that made me want to keep still even harder. This wasn't funny, it was like I was tweaking. Every one of my nerves was on edge. I was tense and shaking at the same time.

We finally pulled up in front of the seven story house. Personally I think that's extremely excessive. Lord Glenn Vaunders had to have an ego as big as this place.

Edgar cut the engine and got out. I watched him as he made his way around the front of the van towards my door. I whined unconsciously. He opened the door partially, not enough for me to jump out and reached in to grab the leash off the seat before he opened it all the way. I pounced to the ground and started doing circles around Edgar. He laughed and led me up the front steps to the front door.

"Okay, calm down." Edgar said as he opened the door.

Once I stepped into the house the antsy feeling left and was replaced with a wary curiosity. Edgar walked confidently forward into the house but I was taking slow and careful steps, taking everything in.

Everything was glamorous, antique looking and expansive. I was afraid to touch anything, even the polished marble of the floor. We walked through a huge living room that contained several couches and TV's where a couple groups of people were hanging out, talking and watching TV. No, I knew they were Vampires it was just easier for me to call them people for now. They all stopped to look at me and I walked quicker, reaching Edgar's side, eager to be away from so many unknown eyes. Thankfully they just took in my appearance and returned to what they had been doing. Good Vampires.

After we exited the living room we entered a kitchen. There were great smells of spices and meat. Oh meat. My stomach reminded me that I hadn't eaten that crappy food that the pound had given me. Maybe Edgar was going to feed me.

Nope. He opened another door and walked out, unfortunately I was trailing behind to watch the cooks move around in the kitchen and ran into the wall beside the door. I stepped back and shook my head. I looked up to see Edgar watching me with a small smile on his face, his eyes were glossy. He was holding in a laugh. I ducked my head in embarrassment and quickly walked through the door.

After several twists and turns of a seemingly never ending hallway we reached the door Edgar was looking for. It was an office. Most likely Edgar's. He closed the door behind us, dropping my leash and walked over to a closet. He rifled through the closet briefly and closed the door. When he turned to me he was holding a pair of stretchy sweats.

"You can wear these. I don't know your size so if they don't fit you can look in the closet for your size." He set them on the seat of a chair that was facing the desk and turned to a filing cabinet. He was giving his back to me, which was nice, but I'd prefer if he'd leave for a little bit.

As I'm certain Edgar has already assumed I am a somewhat new werewolf and it takes me a little time to change into my human form. I don't know if that's because I'm new or if all werewolves take a little time to change back. Once I was done and had caught my breathe I grabbed the sweats off the seat and pulled them on. They were a little baggy on me but they'd work. I tucked a piece of my dirty blonde hair behind my ear as I took a seat. Edgar pulled some papers from the filing cabinet, closed the drawer and sat down behind the desk.

"So you have seen a part of the Lord's land, quite impressive isn't it?"

I nodded.

"If the lord wishes for you to become part of his security you will have access to all parts of the land and hunting privileges."

That was generous.

"Off the record I would be extremely happy if you took the offer. You'd be the first woman on the werewolf staff."

"Why is that? None of the other women wanted to play guard?" I asked semi sarcastically.

Edgar's face slowly fell into a serious look.

"You truly are a young one, aren't you? Females don't have a high survival rate after an attack. You being alive is extremely rare for your kind. You are the first Female werewolf in my years that I have encountered."

I blinked at him. I was the first one he'd met? Many women don't even survive the attack? I took in a deep breathe, trying to absorb it all.

"I... didn't know that."

"Who was your counselor?"

"My what?" I asked thoroughly confused.

Edgar stared at me for a few moments before reaching for the phone on the corner of his desk. What is he doing? Who was he calling?

"Hello?" A voice said from the phone. Good thing about being a werewolf is that you have impeccable hearing.

"Hello sir, this is Edgar, I have that Werewolf you sent me to get. She's waiting in my office."

"Great, I'll be dow- she, did you just say 'she'?"

He paused to listen to the other person on the phone then with a tiny smile said, "Yes sir, I said she."

There was a click and then a dial tone. Edgar replaced the phone on it's base.

"Who was that?" I asked, unable to stop myself.

"Lord Vaunders. I imagine he is on his way here." He was still holding that smile on his lips. "But in the mean time I'll need you to fill out these forms." He said, placing the papers he'd pulled from the file cabinet in front of me with a pen.

I leaned forward and started on the pile, though it was hard to concentrate on what the forms said.

Why was I so nervous?

I didn't know.