Sequel: The Moonless Dark

How I Became A Werewolf Bodyguard

Enter The Lord

That antsy feeling was slowly starting to crawl its way back up my spine. I guess that would be Lord Vaunders. I was nearly done with the forms Edgar had given me but I couldn't concentrate anymore, not with the feeling of insects crawling all over me.

Edgar stood up as his office door opened.
"My lord." He said, with a slight bow at the neck.

I turned to look at this so called Lord. He was a little taller than Edgar, had black hair that was cut in a business manner, and sapphire colored eyes that held knowledge of many life times. His black suit was tailored perfectly to his shape. He had this look about him as though he knew he was on top and would take full advantage of it.

I don't think he even looked at Edgar because his full attention was solely on me. It felt like he was sizing me up, so I'd size him up. I stood and turned completely towards him, staring him down.

"Easy girl." Said Lord Vaunders in a tone that said he was used to being obeyed.

"Sir, this is.. " Edgar trailed off, eyes widening as he realized that he hadn't asked for my name.

"Oh, how foolish of me. Forgive me. What is your name young one?"

"Marlee Hartley." I replied lifting my head up a little higher, never taking my eyes off of Lord Vaunders. He hadn't taken his off mine either, which was starting to irritate me.

"Ms. Hartley, Please sit down." Lord Vaunders said, gesturing to the chair I was sitting in earlier, and walked to the chair beside it. Only after he sat down and no longer felt like a threat to me did I sit down. That made him smile. I was starting to not like this Lord guy.

"Well then," Edgar started, once we were both settled, "Ms. Hartley, have you had enough time to think this through?"

"Yes, but I have some remaining questions."

Edgar nodded understandingly. "Go now."

I shifted in my chair so that I faced Lord Vaunders.

"Why do you need so many guards? Why are you that important? Or are you only that important because you have money? Who do you think is planning to attack you? And why would they do so?"

Hey if I'm going to pick a side, I have to know which side I'm guarding for.

Edgar made a strangled noise but I kept my focus on Lord Vaunders. The Lord studied me like i was a white stain on that black suit he wore. It had probably been a while since someone questioned him like that. Moments went by silently as we stared at each other before he finally spoke.

"In vampire society, the older you are the more important you become. By surviving it shows others that you are skilled, experienced, and someone that is not to be messed with. I am currently the third oldest living vampire, that is why my title is Lord. There is a King and a Prince as well, though there is no relation among us. I prefer werewolves as guards simply because their other halves are instinctive and natural. They are a perfect defender of lives. Nature has prevailed for a very long time. The reason I need them is because if I was to fight every vampire that wished to fight me it would grow tedious. I wish only to fight worthy adversaries. Plus" He shrugged, "A show of power deters ambitious, overly confident youngsters from fights they can not win."

Well, wasn't that a lot? At least I understand now. But there was still some things I need to know.

"What are the rules of being a guard here?"

Edgar fielded this one.

"As I told you earlier you will live here. While on duty you must be in wolf form but at any other time you can be in any form you choose. You have free access to all things inside the house, except other's bedrooms and offices, unless, of course, they invite you in. You will be paid handsomely. You have the day before, the night of, and the day after the full moon off."
Access to everything? That didn't sound too bad at all. But did I really want to be some guard? My current place of business was the Law Firm of Gedus where I worked as a secretary during the week behind a desk in a room that never changed. Here I would be able to explore and stretch my legs. I have an apartment in the city, but had been looking for something bigger and closer to the woods so I'd have plenty of room to run and easy access to the woods. This place was huge and has its own forest.

"Okay," I said slowly. "I guess I could give it a shot."

Edgar grinned and looked expectantly towards his Lord.

"Before we hire you," Lord Vaunders said. "You must answer a few questions as well."

I felt my eyes narrow at him. What sort of questions? He didn't wait for me to voice that question though.

"How old are you?"

Okay, these kind of questions I could answer. These were good questions.

"Twenty."

He shook his head.

"I did not mean your Human age. I meant how long have you been a Werewolf?"

Okay, maybe these weren't good questions after all.

"Why would you need to know that?"

"So I know what type of werewolf I will be having under my employment."

I shifted uncomfortably in my chair and look down at my hands.

"Three months." I mumbled looking down at my hands in my lap .

There was a moment of silence and I could feel them both freeze in place at my answer. I lifted my head and glared at Lord Vaunders.

"Anything else?" I asked, trying to hold back some of the ice in my tone.

"Who is your counselor?"

I shook my head, "I don't know what your talking about."

He stared at me the same way Edgar had when he'd asked me that question.

"How is your control?" He continued.

"Good."
He looked at Edgar.

"I believe she has very good control as a werewolf. Though if she is really only 3 months old and hasn't a counselor I don't see how that could be. She didn't attack anyone at the pound, nor myself when I had to drag her to my van."

The Lord raised an eye brow "You had to drag her?"

"Well, yes. But that was before I explained things to her." Edgar elaborated.

The Lord nodded.

"How dominant is she?" He asked Edgar.

I gave them a confused look. Why was he asking Edgar? As if he read my mind, but more likely my face, Lord Vaunders answered my unasked question.

"Edgar is my werewolf expert if you will. He is in charge of seeing that my wolves are well taken care of. It is his job to solve any and all problem that arise between the males and he is the one who gives the grounds men their routes and commands."

Oh.

"Her dominance level is very high, I dare to say she might give Thraxx a run for his money." Edgar Chuckled at what he said.

The Lord gave Edgar an impressive look before assessing me with another glance.

"Well then, I have a thought. She will not be a grounds men after all," Edgar opened his mouth in what I thought was protest if the look on his face was anything to go by, but Lord Vaunders continued, "She will be my personal guard instead."

At this Edgar's mouth dropped opened.

"B-but sir, Thraxx is your personal bodyguard." He stuttered out.

"I am aware of that and he will continue to be so. What's the harm in having two personal bodyguards? Besides since she did not have a counselor I will inform Thraxx that he is now to show her the ropes, as they say."

Edgar was speechless. Hell, so was I. He wanted me to be his personal bodyguard. He has only known me for like 5 minutes. Maybe less than that.

"Have Solomon take her to get her stuff, then I want her to be put in the room on the left of mine." Was the last thing Lord Vaunders said before exiting the room.