Whats Under the Bed?

9

I stared at Hunter for a minute while I processed what he was saying. He waited patiently for the questions that he knew were coming.

“What do you mean this is your home?” I asked when I got my voice back.

“I mean I live here, me and my brother and sisters.”

“Yes, I get that part, but why are we here? I thought that the King and Queen wanted me.”

“They do, but not tonight.”

Hunter sighed when I still looked skeptical and I got the feeling that I was being a pain.

“You are,” he said confirming my suspicions. “Look, it’s late. You look like you’ve been driving in a car for hours. We’re just here so you can get some rest. Tomorrow I’ll take you to the palace. Okay?”

I looked at him for a minute then shrugged. “Okay.”

He opened the door and walked inside leaving me to trail behind him.

Hunter put my bags down by the stairs and called out. “Anybody home?”

Almost immediately I heard the sound of feet on the floor above us and then a little girl appeared at the top of the stairs.

She was decked out in dress up clothes. She was wearing a dress that was far to big for her and kept falling off her shoulder. She wore a floral tank top underneath it. On her head sat a pink sun hat with a big fake sunflower on it. She also had on high heels that were to big for her. From what I could see of her face she looked like Hunter.

“Hunter!” she screamed. I could tell that she had an accent, but it was very faint.

Hunter’s face creased into a huge smile. “Katie!” he said

I blink and the little girl was gone. I looked toward Hunter in surprise and there she was hugging him.

There were more feet running then, ”Katie you left me!” I looked toward the stairs again and saw another little girl. She looked like Hunter also but not as much as the other little girl.

“Hunter!” she screamed when she saw him and took the stairs two at a time and joined the other little girl in attacking Hunter’s legs.

“What is all this commotion . . .” came a British voice. I looked up to see an older girl who looked to be about my age.

“Katie, Lauren, what are you doing in my clothes?” she growled lowly

The two little girls, Katie and Lauren I guess, looked down at themselves squealed, and then ran behind Hunter.

At this point the girl looked toward me, her gaze lingering, then she looked toward the girls who had their heads peaking out from behind Hunter’s legs.

“If my clothes are back before I go upstairs I might forget that I ever saw you in them.”

The girls immediately ran upstairs. The little one was gone before I could blink. I simply looked at Hunter.

“It’s like my mind reading, she can move fast.”

“’Fast’ is a bit of an understatement don’t you think?” I asked but he ignored me.

“You’re human,” the girl said.

“Yeah. I’m going to take a stab in the dark and say that you’re a vampire.”

“You’d be correct,” she stared at me for a beat and smiled showing only normal sized canines. “I’ll show you to you’re room.”

I looked at Hunter wondering if that would be safe. Even though I’m sure he heard my thoughts of indecision he only stared back at me. Finally I shrugged and picked up my bag.

“Lead the way” I said.

She took me back the way that she had come from which turned out to be the kitchen. It was pretty big with a little alcove where a table sat and an island. Against one of the walls there was a door, which she opened. She flipped a switch and a light came on revealing stairs that she led me down.

I couldn’t help but think that she was leading me down into some dungeon type thing. I knew Hunter heard me when I heard him say, “You are the most untrusting person I have ever met.

When we got to the bottom of the stairs I dropped my bag in shock. It wasn’t a dungeon, far from it. It was my dream bedroom.

The walls had been painted black, purple, and green. There was an alcove where a huge bed sat. The blanket was black as well as the pillowcases on the huge fluffy looking pillows. The bed was pushed up against the wall with the headboard against the wall. There was a huge canopy above it with netting down the sides. At the foot of the bed there was a purple shag carpet.

In the middle of the room there was a black suede couch with purple and green floor pillows in front of it. In front of that there was a big T.V. and a DVD player with DVDs staked up next to it. Beside the couch there was a love seat facing, it’s cushions facing the armrest of the couch. Against one of the walls was a dresser and a bookshelf already stocked with some of my favorite books and some I had never read before.

The room was great but it made me wonder about how long they expected me to stay. With a start I realized that I didn’t even know what part of town I was in. in the movies and in the books I would be the stupid girl who goes into the house at night or accepts a ride from someone I don’t know. I always hated that girl. I cursed myself for not making sure I knew all the details before agreeing to this.

I heard a noise and turned to see the girl opening another door. She flipped the switch that was just inside the door then moved aside so that I could see the spacious bathroom.

It was filled with black marble and had a Jacuzzi tub. I just about fainted.

“Hunter said you would like everything like this. If not we can change it.”

I turned and saw the girl sitting on the arm of the loveseat.

“No. No, this is perfect.” I rushed to reassure her moving to the couch as I talked.

We were quiet for a minute then,” I’m sorry about before, when you first got here. That was rude. It’s just that we’re not used to humans here.”

“What do you mean?”

“It’s just that we don’t get much humans in Bridgeway.”

I frowned “What’s Bridgeway?”

“You’re in Bridgeway.”

“I thought we were just outside of Sunville.”

“We are, but . . .” she paused then understanding dawned ” He didn’t tell you.”

“Tell me what?” I was starting to get irritated.

“Bridgeway is in a different dimension than yours. It’s a place made for magical creatures.”

I stared at her. “I’m going to kill him. I’m going to stake him trough the heart, cut off his head, pour holy water on him, and shove garlic into any place I can get it. You can’t stop me.”

She laughed, “Yes, I feel the same way most of the time. I’m Reagan by the way.”

“Bianca.”

“Well Bianca, I think it’s time you met the family since you’re going to be killing our brother.”

As we started toward the stairs I asked her, “Hey you got any torture devices?”

She threw her head back and laughed.
“We’re going to be great friends you and I.”

My only hope is that friends mean the same thing here and in my world.