Your Guardian Angel

Your Guardian Angel

When I see your smile
Tears run down my face
I can't replace


“Whatcha listening to?” he inquired. I looked up, his crystal blue eyes meeting my own hazy cerulean ones.

“’S a new song on the radio.”

“Since when do you listen to the radio?” He sat himself down next to me.

“I listen to the radio all the time!” I smiled, pushing him slightly. “Y’know, when I actually drive a car?”

He brought out a cigarette and lit it, sucking in the smoke as I watched the ash burn at the end. He blew out the puff of smoke and smiled. “Hell if I know who decided to trust you with a license.”

“I am a good driver!” I pouted.

“Sure, and I’m the Queen of Switzerland,” he smirked.

And now that I'm strong I have figured out
How this world turns cold and it breaks through my soul
And I know I'll find deep inside me I can be the one


“It’s a really nice song, you know,” I started, breaking the silence between us. “Listen to the lyrics.”

He leaned back onto the couch and shut his eyes, standing the cigarette in his mouth. “I never new you listened to new artists,” he simply stated.

“There’s a lot of things about me you don’t know.”

“Probably a lot I wouldn’t want to know,” he said smugly, a smirk appearing on his face again. I smiled at his relaxed position and followed his lead, resting my head on the couch cushion behind me.

I will never let you fall
I'll stand up with you forever
I'll be there for you through it all
Even if saving you sends me to heaven


Unbeknownst, I started softly singing along with the words. I felt his head rise from the cushion, and I felt his eyes watching my face, taking in every detail. I opened my eyes and smiled softly. “Like what you see?”

“Are you insinuating something?” he asked, laying his head back onto the cushion as I continued to sing.

It's okay. It's okay. It's okay.

He never knew. But I’ve loved him for so long, I couldn’t tell him now. Our relationship, hell, the whole damn band might go under, just because I started falling for a band mate. And though I love him…I’m not prepared to end this run.

Seasons are changing
And waves are crashing
And stars are falling all for us
Days grow longer and nights grow shorter
I can show you I'll be the one


“No, nothing at all,” I smirked. He looked back at me and shook his head.

“Sometimes I wonder about you,” He brought his hand up to his short, blondish-grayish hair. I looked back at him, confusion striking me. His eyes met mine as a stream of smoke crawled out of his cigarette. “Didn’t tell you to stop singing though,” he smiled. I gave him another weak smile and continued on with the song.

I will never let you fall
I'll stand up with you forever
I'll be there for you through it all
Even if saving you sends me to heaven


He blew out one last puff of smoke and took the cigarette out of his mouth, putting it out in the nearby ashtray.

Cause you're my
You're my, my
My true love, my whole heart
Please don't throw that away
Cause I'm here for you
Please don't walk away and
Please tell me you'll stay, stay


I watched his face as his eyes slowly closed shut. He looked so peaceful in his sleep, almost like an angel. I lowered the volume on the radio and slid myself closer to him. He wouldn’t mind some company in his sleep, right?

I turned my body towards him, lifting my legs to stay on the empty side of the couch, and slowly lowering my body to rest my head on his lap. He didn’t move at all, as if he didn’t mind me there. I thought this to myself and sighed contently, eventually falling asleep.

*****

I’m in a blank, white room. No doors, no windows, just walls and a complete feeling of nothingness. I walk forward, my footsteps clacking against the floor. I walk for what seems to be forever, until I spot a door in the distance. I run toward it, reaching it and opening it to find a vast canyon. I see him there, standing over the edge, his arms spread out letting the wind hit his entire body.

I walked toward him, watching. He was completely oblivious to my presence. Suddenly there was a change. A harsh wind blew against his back, pushing him over. My eyes widen, watching his body fall out of my sight. I fall to the ground, salty tears falling from my eyes. Why couldn’t I save him? He was right there, and I couldn’t do anything!

Then there was a voice. His voice, calling for me. I raise my head to see a hand still clasped to a branch. I walk cautiously toward it, seeing his face over the edge. He was absolutely terrified, tears falling from his eyes.

“A-Adam!” he called, his voice raspy and strained. “H-help me! Please!” He reached his other hand above to me. I take it immediately, pulling him up slightly. I take the hand from the branch and pull with all my might. He comes up and over the edge, tumbling into me as we both hit the ground.

He’s on top of me, whimpering and shivering. I shush him and cradle him in my arms. I’ve never seen him like this. He calms down and looks up at me with those beautiful cerulean eyes. We stare into each others eyes for a bit until he collapses onto me.

“Th-thank you…so much…” I pat his back and shush him some more.

“It’s no problem at all. Everything will be okay,” I assure him. He sniffs and rests against my chest.

It's okay. It's okay. It's okay.
Seasons are changing
And waves are crashing
And stars are falling all for us
Days grow longer and nights grow shorter
I can show you I'll be the one


He started singing to me again, that song we listened to. I rock him gently in my arms and sing along with him.

I will never let you fall
I'll stand up with you forever
I'll be there for you through it all
Even if saving you sends me to heaven


He sighs, and presses his forehead to my chest, continuing on.

Cause you're my
You're my, my
My true love, my whole heart
Please don't throw that away
Cause I'm here for you
Please don't walk away and
Please tell me you'll stay, stay


He stopped and I felt something wet on my shirt. I lifted his head and saw tears streaming from his eyes again. I sat him up and embraced him tightly.

“I’ll stay, don’t worry, I’ll stay with you forever.”

He sniffed again and slowly brought his arms around me, continuing to sing.

Use me as you will
Pull my strings just for a thrill
And I know I'll be okay
Though my skies are turning gray


I rocked him back and forth in my arms, making sure he was okay. And as he sang the last chorus, I sang along with him.

I will never let you fall
I'll stand up with you forever
I'll be there for you through it all
Even if saving you sends me to heaven


*****

My eyes fluttered open, hearing the radio playing an unrecognizable song softly. I stretched my arms, but a small groan on my lap caught my attention. There he lay, asleep in all his quiet and unknown innocence. I ghost my hand over his head, barely touching his hair. I lean back and sigh, slowly resting my hand on his head.

This is it. I know it, I thought to myself as I looked down at the sleeping singer before me.

I’m in love.