I Thought the Jetset Life Was Gonna Kill Him

Believe Me I'm Lying

‘’What?! What do you mean he’s gone!?’’ Yelled Frank.
‘’I just woke up and he wasn’t there…’’ I replied, sounding equally as stressed as Frank.
‘’Ah, fuck! Jenna, the funeral is in a few hours!’’ He shrieked.
‘’What?! Shit, Frank! Why did nobody tell me?’’ I screamed, rubbing my forehead.
‘’I thought Mikey was meant to tell you! Bloody hell.’’
‘’He’ll come back soon. In a few hours I can bet Gerard will turn up at his house, or mine. He just needed to clear his mind,’’ I explained.
And then I hung up. I didn’t want to yell at Frank anymore.

**

‘’Kay, Gerard, can you put on this suit?’’ I said calmly, handing him a black suit on a coat hanger.
‘’Sure… I just wish it was me going, not her…’’ He muttered, closing the door.
‘’Don’t say that…’’ I whispered, standing outside his room.

He had come back after about an hour. According to him, he just went and sat in the park for a while. I believed him, but I also was convinced he went and stocked up on more cocaine, too.

Within five minutes, Gerard was dressed.
‘’You look spiffy,’’ I chuckled, adjusting his tie a little.
‘’You look pretty,’’ he replied, nodding.

I was wearing a black dress, with thin straps. It sat on my knees, which I found comfortable. My hair was out and straight, my fringe covering my right eye.

**

The funeral was beautiful. Gerard’s little cousin, Sophia, who was about thirteen, sung and said a few words. Mikey and Gerard also shared their memories with their late grandmother, and I couldn’t help but shed a few tears.

The Way family was a wreck. Everybody was crying – including Frank, Ray and Bob. I was too, but I was trying my hardest to comfort them.

I was now sitting in the car with Gerard and Mikey; I was driving.
‘’I just… I miss her, really bad. It should have been me, not her,’’ whimpered Gerard.
‘’No, Gerard it shouldn’t of been. Please don’t say that about yourself,’’ I replied softly.
‘’Yeah… Gerard, her number was up. She had a great life, though. She’d want you to make the most out of life, and to quit all the drugs and alcohol,’’ Mikey explained, nodding.

Gerard didn’t say anything. But I couldn’t blame him. I wouldn’t know what to say if I were in his shoes, either.

**

The wake had just finished, and I was sitting on the lounge with Gerard. Mikey was in the shower, and the rest of the guys were cleaning up.
‘’Hey Gerard?’’ I said, curiously.
‘’Mhm.’’
‘’What did you mean in the letter? What were you scared of stuffing up?’’ I questioned, being careful not to sound too nosey.
‘’It… it doesn’t matter that much, Jenna. There’s no need to worry.’’
♠ ♠ ♠
comments appreciated.