I Thought the Jetset Life Was Gonna Kill Him

Drowning Lessons

Gerard always used to tell me about the local park. He loved it. The puppies running around, young couples holding hands, that crazy old lady feeding ducks; he loved it all. We’d often go up to the bridge; just him, Mikey and I. And we’d talk, and mess around. Sometimes Mikey even brought some bread to give to the old lady.

That’s it.

But the park wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows. There were drug dealers that did business around there, and drunken people used to bum around there late at night. One of the worst things that happened there would probably be the murders.

I didn’t bother saying goodbye to Mikey. With the letter still in my now sweaty hand, I rushed out to the car, and drove to my park.

**

It didn’t surprise me when I saw Gerard on the bridge. He was sitting on the edge, and if he shuffled a few centimetres he could have fallen off. I’d learned a few years back, that if you tickle the roof of your mouth with your tongue, it’ll hold back tears. And it did. His pale, ghostly figure made me upset. The black rings around his eyes made him look like a zombie.

‘’Gerard.’’ My attempt at sounding strong wasn’t working, and instead I sounded like I was being strangled.
He turned his head slowly, and I choked. His eyes were more puffy and bloodshot then I had ever seen.
‘’So what was your escape route this time?’’ I asked softly, climbing up on the bridge to sit by his side.

‘’Drowning. It’s sorta easy when you’re high and off your face, so I wouldn’t have to try that much. I’d just look like an innocent who fell off the bridge, anyway. It’d be better if people thought of it that way,’’ He replied, resting his head on his knees.
‘’Please don’t say that,’’ I stated.

Gerard didn’t say anything for a while. I knew what he wanted me to say.
‘’It didn’t mean anything. I was drunk,’’ I whispered, rubbing his back. It seemed to comfort him.
‘’Did you do it because you don’t even want to look at me?’’ He choked, trying not to cry. ‘’Did you do it because I’m so fucked up, you can’t stand me?’’
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry i havent updated for a while.
i didnt really know where to go with it.
butyeah.