I Thought the Jetset Life Was Gonna Kill Him

So Close

‘’GERARD!’’ I screamed, my eyes darting from where he was sitting, to the water, where I could see his dark silhouette. Nobody seemed to notice him fall – or force himself off – and in a way, that comforted me. We needed to deal with it; just the two of us. The police and ambulance officers asking him questions and prying into his head would only upset him.

Without bothering to think any more, I fell into the water after him. The feel of the cold water soaking through my clothes made me shiver, and it was hard to stay at the surface as my now soaking jeans dragged me under the somewhat rapid water flowed.

I opened my mouth to scream his name, but the water tried to fill my mouth, and I quickly clamped my lips shut. The water was murky, and even if I opened my eyes, I couldn’t see Gerard at all. Stretching out my arms, I felt the liquid around me, in the hope I’d finally find Gerard.

My lungs felt tight, so I quickly swam to the surface to get air. I looked around to find the park almost empty, except for a young couple about three hundred metres away, completely oblivious to this disaster.

Once I had refilled my body with oxygen, I dived under the water again, but this time I went deeper. I felt my body drag across the bottom of the river, and I shuddered at the thought of what could be lying on the sea-bed beneath me.

After what seemed a century, I finally caught hold of what felt like Gerard’s sleeve. Wrapping his arm around my neck, I held tight to his body and swam slowly to the surface of the water. I heard him splutter as we finally crawled up onto the grass, our clothes stuck to our skin. I let go of his sleeve, and lay down next to him. The tears began to fall, as I realized that I had just saved his life, and if I had not been there, he wouldn’t be on this Earth.
‘’G-g-gerard,’’ I splutted, kissing his cheek. ‘’Are y-y-you ok-k-kay?’’
The rain was still pouring down, washing off the dirty water we had just almost drowned in, and cleansing us in fresh, sparkling teardrops from the clouds.
‘’Speak to me!’’ I shrieked, resting my head on his chest. ‘’Gerard! P-p-p-please!’’
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry, uh, computer died.
D: