This Is What We Call a Tragedy

Part 1

I lifted the pen from the sheet of paper resting in front of me, allowing myself to look at the piece of crap I’ve been drawing for the last ten minutes or so.

I tilted my head sideways, taking in the details of the perfect shaped heart on the blank page, all stitched up, barbed wire around it and some needles sticking in it.

It's amazing what boredom can do to you.

But the thing is...

That's how I felt.

I sighed, tapping the pen repeatedly against the sketch, feeling like something was missing.

I stared at the left space until unknowingly I started scribbling at the bottom fragments of lyrics that were stuck in my head for quite some time.

~*~

I couldn’t keep my eyes off him, not even after he finished the song, the sound of his acoustic guitar fading along with the words.

He took a nervous glance at me before putting the instrument down, beside the bed we were sitting on.

His bedroom was so quiet now that I couldn’t even stand it.

I smiled watching him play with his hands, waiting for my reaction, but after a moment he looked up into my eyes and I must've been grinning like an idiot by now.

"So... how was it?” he asked, his lips curling up in a shy smile, all the while searching my face for an answer.

"Amazing, 'nuff said. I don’t even have words to describe it."

He chuckled, shaking his head and muttered something like "you're exaggerating again"...

I hated when he did that... doubt himself. He was so talented and he had such a brilliant voice... I wondered how he could ever deny that.

I shifted on the bed, moving closer to him and took his hands in mine, his gaze moving back on me.

"You guys are great and I mean it when I say you're gonna make it big with this band"

"I'm not so sure about that one."

"You're such a drama queen, you know that?” I smirked as he faked a shocked expression, but then returned to his serious look.

"Maybe that's how I see things right now... I mean, I’ve put a lot of effort into this band and now I don't know what's gonna end of it", he trailed off, letting go of my hands and leaning back on the mattress.

He stared up, deep in thought and I wished I could bring him out of this... to stop thinking about the band and just be his goofy self.

I laid next to him, running my eyes over the dark red painted ceiling, trying to figure out his thoughts.

"You’ll become a famous rock star, Matt, and all the girls will be drooling over you", I barely whispered, not even wanting to imagine anything else.

"And they'll all be jealous of you cause you'll always be there with me... ", he said, brushing his fingers against my hand and finally entwining them with mine "... no matter what".


~*~

I came back to reality as I realized I wasn’t writing anymore, but tearing the paper with the pen I was holding tightly between my fingers.

I threw the instrument aside, using my hands to cover up my face, trying to lock away the memory.

Well guess what...

I was right all along...

The band did become famous.

If you know From First To Last then you definitely know the lead guitarist also

Yeah, that’s him... Matt Good, the guy who I haven’t seen for almost a year now... the ex-boyfriend I haven’t got over not even now.

Who would?

I sighed, raising my head and watching the torn up piece of paper, I reached for it and crumpled it in my fist, throwing it then in the litter basked resting near my chair.

I looked up from the counter top, moving my eyes around the music store I was working in, scanning the racks filled with CDs, instruments, band merch and other stuff like that.

How cliché, right?

I know.

But I just love this place, considering I worked here since I was in highschool.

So basically I’m 19 now... and still living with my parents, although they hold a grudge on me because I didn’t wanna go to college in the end.

I couldn’t care less...

It wasn't my place to be anyway.

Enough with the rambling.

I nearly jumped as my vision was suddenly blocked by something.

Focusing on what had caused it, I met the body of someone sitting on the counter. Running my eyes from the several belts wrapped around its waist, to the hoodie that hugged the skinny torso, I finally met the figure of a teenage boy looking down at me, his fringe covering his left eye.

Craig... the 17 year old kid I’ve been working with for the past 2 weeks

Out of nowhere my attention was diverted towards his lips and I know I’m sick by thinking this... again...

But still...

Man, do I love his smirk.

"What was that, Ash?", he chuckled

"Huh?", I asked, frowning, unsure of what he meant by that.

He leaned down, keeping eye contact, his messy dark brown hair covering his face even more.

"Maybe I should smirk more often", he hastily whispered in a seductive voice.

SHIT

I punched him on the upper arm not so playfully as he hurried to get to his feet, laughing the whole time.

I just can see it now...

The asshole will tease me about it forever.

... spoiled brat.

"So how's it hangin'?", he spoke again after I got rid of a customer.

"Just get to work and stop bugging me... your lazy fat ass is already late"

"No compliments about my ass, then?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, making him slightly laugh again

"Alright, alright, I’m going..."

He stuffed his hands in his pockets, walking slowly past me.

"I’ll just be in the back room...", I heard him say over his shoulder "
... changing"

I swear I could sense his fuckin’ smirk growing

Damn him...

"So no peeking!", he finished, slamming the door dramatically.