Be All Mine

Chapter 17

A light breeze billowed through the window of our bedroom as Mathew swayed back and forth. He held Adrian carefully, afraid to let go of her for even a second. I know why, too: he was scared that, if he let go, she'd disappear and never be here again.

We'd spent a month in the hospital waiting for results and progress, and we were finally home. Adrian Ally (named after Mark, whose middle name is Allan) and Marcus Slater Woodrow were finally up the appropriate weight that a normal, nine month old baby had to be to be considered healthy. The doctor brought both of them in yesterday and handed one to me, and one to my mom. “Congratulation, Miss Woodrow,” he started. “You have two healthy children to take home and nurture now.”

I'd almost cried out a yes when I heard it, but I kept my composure due to the fact that the twins were half asleep in our arms. My mom took one look at both of the children and started to bawl. “You gave birth to miracles, Audrey,” she said, kissing the top of Adrian's head as I smoothed my hand over Marcus's head of dark hair, his hand reaching up to grab a hold of my index finger earnestly. He had so much strength, now. He really was a miracle, as well as Adrian who held her hands close to her face.

“You ready to go?” asked Matt, as I fed Marcus his bottle. He wanted to hold it himself already, hands on the blue plastic as I smiled down at him. I was not about to breast feed; I'd never done it with Mikey, and the doctor had no problem with it.

I nodded and stood up. I had grown so thin from a month of worrying and fear, losing not only baby fat, but ten pounds off of my original weight. Luckily I was at a healthy weight still, but I actually needed to wear a belt now.

“I'm gonna go get the suitcases,” said Matt, as he handed Adrian to Mikey, who sat contently on our large bed, arms holding onto his new sister tightly.

Mikey loved his new brother and sister more than I thought he would. He would feed them their bottles, help them when I bathed them by making them smile. He was an all around perfect big brother, and he always told them he loved them before we closed their door at night.

“Hey mommy?”

Looking over at Mikey, I said, “Hey Mikey.”

He smiled and wondered, “Do babies ever laugh?”

“Eventually they will,” I replied, taking a seat on the bed next to Mikey. I kissed Adrian's lavender-scented forehead and smoothed out her plain-pink dress, her baby blanket wrapped around her body as well. Marcus wore a blue baby outfit that was just one piece and buttoned up in the crotch. His baby blanket was blue, as well. “Babies don't really do much for awhile, Mikey. They need to learn how to laugh and do baby talk. It takes them awhile. Just like it took you awhile, too.”

Matt reappeared and carried the twins' diaper bag on his shoulder as he leaned down to kiss my lips. I never realized how much I loved those lips until I knew I'd almost have to live without them. They were sweet, almost like sugar cookies, warm out of the oven. They gave me the biggest rush of all, however.

“We ready?” he asked, as Mikey handed him Adrian, arms shifting for a split second before she went back to being sleepy and still.

Getting up, I agreed and grabbed Mikey's hand. We were driving out to Huntington Beach where Matt grew up to have the wedding, which was a week away. We planned it small, with only Matt's dad, my own, the guys of Blink-182, Avenged Sevenfold and their recording crew, and Darcy, my only friend at the high school who taught photography. We also had two security guards to make sure that if – God forbid – my biological dad, Brent, showed up, then he would be arrested and thrown out.

The wedding was at a very reserved white chapel on the beach, with a very gorgeous view of the ocean from within. The color scheme was maroon and reds, with red roses and tulips, and a maroon isle carpet. My dress was white, flowing into maroon at the ends with a maroon bow tied behind my back. It was a strapless dress with a vintage design to the trim of the gown.

“You'll love the beach house I rented,” I told Matt, as he buckled in the kids. He hopped into the driver's seat as I continued with, “It's so simplistic and small; like a cottage. Mikey can swim and play in the sand anytime he pretty much wishes.”

Matt smiled and we headed on our way, my heart beating as I realized this was really happening. Matt and I were going to marry, and we were going to be together forever. Matt was going to be all mine.

Both my parents and Matt's dad met us at a restaurant on the docks as I pushed the twins in a double stroller. They were awake, smiling as Matt baby-talked them. I was incredibly nervous as we edged closer to our families. I'd never met Matt's dad, and I was afraid that he wouldn't approve of me, a divorced mother of three who had tattoos and piercings. Even if he didn't like me, though, would I really care? I mean, I would, but would it stop me from marrying the man of my dreams? I'd like to think not.

Matt's dad was a taller man much like Matt, with dark, faded black hair that was cut short and slicked back nicely. He had Matt's eyes and was very handsome for a man his age. I hoped Matt would age just as well.

“Audrey,” said Mr. Saunders, who stared at me for a minute before he smiled and pulled me in for a warm hug, arms wrapped around me tightly as I hugged him back as well. “I'm so happy to meet you,” he said, after we'd pulled apart. “Matt talks about you all of the time. I figured you had to be special if he could never run out of things to say about you.”

I blushed and nodded. “Thank you,” I said. “Matt does the same for you. He really does look like you, you know.”

Mr. Saunders smiled and gave Matt a manly pat on the back. “I feel great, then. Matt's a good-looking guy if he got a pretty doll like yourself. And who is this young man?”

I introduced Mikey and added, “He's very much in love with Matt. They're always playing and having such a good time. You raised him to be quite a womanizer and father. Wonder what he'll be like when he has some of his own.”

Matt smiled. “They'll all be treated the same; I consider her children my own, dad. They may be someone else's, but they're one hell of a great memory. Mikey here is gonna rule the world of metal when I'm retired, ain't that right, Mikey?”

Mikey nodded and grabbed a hold of Matt's hand as Matt picked him up and carried him after us to our reserved table on the pier. My parents got up and hugged us, as well as Matt's dad, surprisingly. I watched my dad and Matt's eagerly to see what might happen relationship wise. Matt watched as well.

“I just want to thank you for raising such an amazing girl,” Mr. Saunders told my dad. “She really knows how to keep Matt in line.”

My dad laughed and that eased my tensions as I settled the blankets over the twins, who looked around and smile when Mikey played tickle with them. “Same to you, old man,” my dad said, as they both chuckled. “Audrey needs some good reprimanding herself sometimes.”

“I can take good care of the spankings,” Matt joked, as I slapped him, the whole table laughing at us.

“Well good,” said my dad. “Teach her a lesson one in awhile, Matt. I did to her mother and look at how many kids I've got.”

“Dad!” I whined, suddenly grossed out completely. “I really don't want to hear about your's and mom's sex life right now. Let alone ever. So please don't say anymore than what you just have. I'm already scarred permanently.”

We all shared a laugh as a waitress took our drink and food orders. Matt held onto my hand, now and again exchanging it to wrap his arm around my shoulders. My mother grabbed Adrian carefully, and carried her to where her and my dad sat beside Mr. Saunders. He even took a turn holding Adrian, making her smile and hold onto his hand.

I looked around at everyone as they smiled and laughed with one another, and I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by the fact that this was my life and family sitting around me. We had the past, the present and future sitting and enjoying the company of each other warmly. My heart melted when I saw Matt and my parents hugging and sharing stories that were filled with humor and also a lesson. My dad was a father unlike any other in the sense that he was understanding of event he strangest scenarios, and I think getting married after dating for only two months or so was one scenario he never dreamed he'd accept.

My mom held up her glass of champagne as the rest of us followed, Matt and I raising our glasses of Coca-Cola because we didn't want to drink at all around the twins.

“I want to make a toast to Audrey and Matt,” my mother said. “I hope you found exactly what you were looking for in one another, and maybe more. I love you both. Haver a good, long marriage, you two. Love you.”

I smiled at her and took a sip from my soda as Mr. Saunders took a stand himself. “I just want to say a few things. To Matt, you may have always been a trouble-maker, but I was always proud to know that you were my son. I know life was hard for you sometimes, but whenever you feel like there's no hope, I want you to look at your beautiful new wife, and let just the sight of her melt away all that pain.”

Matt nodded and I kissed his cheek as I mouthed, “Thank you” to his dad.

He continued: “To Audrey's parents, I want to say thank you, thank you, thank you for finally bringing up a woman I believe is truly going to make my son happy. That's all he ever deserved and you finally gave him that gift. Thank you, and I call you my family.”

My parents raised their glasses higher and kissed one another as Matt's dad finished his toast. “And to the gorgeous Audrey, I call you my own. You're my daughter, and I hope you can see me as your dad, as well. I may never be your dad, because he's too cool-”

“Bet your ass,” my dad laughed with him.

“-but I pray you will be able to tell me anything when the time comes,” he said. “Thank you for finding my son and bringing him out of the past and into the world once more. I love you, my soon-to-be daughter.”

Eyes brimming with tears, I stood up and walked over to Mr. Saunders, wrapping myself in his hug as he kissed the top of my head and forehead. “Thank you, dad,” I told him, as he rubbed my back and chuckled.

“It's okay, dear,” he said, as we pulled apart. “You have no need to cry. This is a happy time. Come one, let's be laughing and drunk!”

I laughed and kissed Matt as everyone yelled, “To the Shadows!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“I'm running to the store real quick,” I told Matt, as he tucked the twins into bed and closed the door of the guest bedroom of our beach house that we rented for the week. He walked over to meet me and slid his arms through my own, entwining them around my waist as I grabbed the loops of his belt to pull him close to me. He slipped his tongue into my mouth as I leaned my weight into him, his breath hot on my skin as he whispered, “I love you,” into my ear.

My body shivered from the pure electric feeling of his words against my throat and I kissed his lips harder than before. I grabbed playfully at his belt loop and then pulled away, saying, “I love you, too, Matt. Bye.”

I brought Mikey with me to go get some soda and candy for the days ahead before the wedding on Sunday, and we sang loudly to the songs on the radio as we sped along. Halfway to the grocery store while on the freeway, Mikey said, “That car keeps following us, mommy.”

I looked in the rear view mirror and squinted. It didn't look like Brent, so I didn't think much of it. “Maybe he's going to the same place, Mikey,” I said, adding, “No crime in that, right buddy?”

He laughed and nodded as I exited the turnpike, the Target Superstore directly in our sight.

After we pulled into the parking lot, I glanced around to see if the car, a simple four door Honda, had truly been going to where we were. I spotted it two rows over, but didn't see anyone get out, so I grabbed Mikey's hand and led him into the store. We browsed for a while, Mikey and I agreeing on grape and orange soda as well as some Hershey Kisses, too. While standing in line, I happened to glance around and spotted a large man, about six feet and four inches with large biceps standing all the way at the end of the check-out lines. He had shaggy black hair with dark skin, and I gasped. “Oh my god,” I said, turning back around to grab the bag of drinks and I carried Mikey out of the store frantically.

I started the car and sped off towards home as I tried to believe that it wasn't Brent. But he was, and I had to face that. He had the tattoo of a Jack Daniels bottle on his left arm and those light blue eyes. I could tell it was him even if I going blind.

I grabbed my cell and called my dad. “Dad? It's Audrey. Brent's here. He was just here! I saw him in the store, and he followed me and Mikey while we were driving. Dad, he's here!”

“Alright, calm down, honey,” my dad said quickly. “You'll be okay. Just go back to the beach house and lock all of the doors, Audrey. If he tries to follow you there, I want you to call the police, and they'll arrest him. Got it? Hurry.”

I closed my cell and sped too fast for my own comfort. If Brent was following me, I wasn't about to care if I got pulled over and received a ticket. My family was in danger; that automatically gave me the right to break a few traffic violations and maybe a few bones.