Adventures in Babysitting

Chapter Eleven: You Know What They Do To Guys Like

Chapter Eleven: You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Kindergarten

The next couple of days went...okay. Adele seemed to be enjoying school, and having a good time with her friends Julie, Sakura and Zoë. That’s all that mattered right. But somehow, it still bothered me that Adele was hanging out with that boy Hunter.

But why does it bother me? I don’t understand. I’ve had no problem with her becoming friends with Mikey, Bob and Gee. Maybe that’’s because she looks at us more as father figures, or even uncle figures. Maybe it’s because Hunter’s her own age. I’m not even sure anymore.

I looked over at the clock. Two forty-five. I should get going. “Hey I’m leaving!” I screamed to no one in particular, but everyone at the same time. I heard a couple of grumbles that sounded like ‘goodbye’s’, but still. You can’t be sure. So I headed off like I have been these past few days to go pick Adele up.

I got there a little early as usual. I peeked in through the small window on the door and saw Adele playing with someone. Wait. Who the fuck is that?! The kid has black hair and is wearing black clothing. I certainly didn’t see him on the first day! Who the fuck is he?

The teacher opened the door at that moment. “Oh, hello,” she said smiling, “Are you here to pick up Adele?”

I really wish she’d call me by my name. I wouldn’t care if she called me ‘Mr. Iero’, even though it makes me sound like an old man. But I really wouldn’t give two shits. But calling me ‘You’ is kind of rude, don’t you think?

“Um, yea,” I replied. She nodded and walked off to get Adele. A few seconds later, i felt someone grab me legs. And no, it wasn’t Gerard.

“Yea! You’re here!” Adele exclaimed. She hugged my legs tighter.

“Did you just miss me or my legs?” I asked her jokingly. She looked up at me confusedly. She doesn’t get it. Oh well! She never does anyway.

“You ready to go?” I asked, able to get out of her iron grip. Who knew little kids were strong right?

“Hold on,” she said, “I gotta say goodbye to Jesse!” She ran off to the classroom to say goodbye to the black haired boy, who I guess is ‘Jesse’.

“All right,” I said when she got back, “Let’s go then!”

“Okay!” Adele exclaimed. She took my hand and walked out of the building.

On the way back to the bus, Adele wouldn’t stop talking. I just kept tuning in and out at points. I know it sounds mean, but she just wouldn’t shut up for two seconds. I’d listen otherwise.

“Frankie?” she said. I snapped quickly into Conversation Mode.

“Yea?” I said back. She gave me a ‘You retard! I know you weren’t listening to me! Don’t Deny it!’ look. Heh.

“Um, did you hear what I just said?” she asked. I thought. Blank. That’s all that came to me. A picture of a white room. Nothing’s going on up there. What the fuck? I guess I should have at least have one ear open.

“Um sorry,” I told her, “I didn’t catch it. Could you tell me again?”

“I asked you if you were gonna come tomorrow,” she replied.

“Um...sure!” I said too quickly. She smiled and ran a little ahead, pulling me along. I seriously don’t know what the fuck she’s talking about, but it can’t be that bad. Right?

+++++++++++++++

What woke me up the next day was someone jumping on me. Ow. Ow. Ow....Ow! What the fuck? What’s going on? Who’s jumping on me? One name cam to mind.

“Gerard get off,” I grumbled, “It’s too damn early to be pounced on.”

“Frankie get up! Get up!” I heard. I turned onto my back. Adele was sitting on my stomach. What the fuck?

“Adele, you know how I am in the morning. Please get off me,” I told her, “If you want to get up early to go to early care to hang out with your friends, ask Ray or Gerard to take you.”

“But Frankie!” she pouted, “You promised you’d come today!”

“What?” I feel retarded right now. Being half asleep and thinking a five year old just said something really dirty. I’m so fucked up today! “What did I say I’d come to?”

“Parent-teacher day at school! You promised!” she moaned. Wait. Is that what she was asking me about today- I mean, yesterday? That’s what I agreed to go to? Am I on crack? I’m beginning to think so.

But I can’t break Adele’s heart like that. I mean, I’ve wanted to spend time with her more than anything. Marc could appear at any time, and I really want Adele to remember me. I can’t just blow her off. I can’t. i guess i could suffer one day at school. After all, I’m not getting picked on or beat up, right?

“Okay, okay,” I replied, “Go get dressed. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

“Yea!” Adele exclaimed. She finally got off of me and ran into the bathroom, fresh clothes in hand. My back and ribs hurt now...

I was up and out of bed in ten minutes. I still wasn’t ‘awake’, but after two cups of coffee, I’ll be good. Maybe I should have three today. Or four. Maybe a pack of Skittles too. I know today’s gonna be long.

In half an hour, I was dressed in my usual t-shirt and jeans. I ran a comb through my hair and threw on my skeleton gloves, just for the hell of it! I went into the living room to find Adele listening to music and trying to read a book a friend gave her. Something about a mouse and a cookie, or some crap like that. The other day she brought one home about a moose and pancakes, which I told her to hide from Bob. He’d rip it to shreds.

I prepared the coffee and waited. I felt something though. I turned and saw Adele staring at me. What’s going on? Oh well. I heard the usual beep from the coffee maker and poured the pot’s contents into a yellow and blue striped mug. I sipped from it happily. I then noticed Adele staring at me again. Okay, I need to know why she sudden;y turned into Bob!

“Adele, what’s wrong?” I asked. She pulled her headphones off.

“Huh?” she looked at me weirdly.

“Do I have something on my face?” I asked. I touched my cheek. I felt nothing but peach fuzz.

“Oh no! I-it’s just, well, I just noticed you drink that black stuff in the pot a lot. Gerard and Mikey do too. I just wanted to know what it was, that’s all!” she explained.

“Oh, you mean the coffee?” I asked. Wow. I’m such a dumbass!

“I guess,” she replied quietly. She looked at her shoes again. I smiled and sipped my coffee. Silence fell over my little world.

“Um, Frankie,” Adele started. I looked at her, “Can I try some? The coffee I mean.”

I looked at her weirdly. Why did she want to try the coffee? Well, since everyone on the van drinks it, I’m sure she’s just curious about the taste. Hmm. I remember the first time I tasted coffee. I was seven and nearly threw up at the strong taste. Dad and grandpa liked it straight. No milk, no sugar. Ugh. I shudder at the thought.

“Um, sure,” I replied. I turned to the coffee maker (which was now empty) and poured in a bag I never thought I’d see in our cabinets. Decaf. What the fuck? Who drinks decaf? I know Gee and I don’t, and Mikey and Bob like it strong. Maybe the once a year Ray drinks it? Probably.

I poured only half a bag into the maker and made the half a cup. If Adele doesn’t drink it, it’s gonna go to waste. I’m not drinking that shit! I heard the small beep and poured the half assed coffee into a green and blue mug. I handed it to Adele.

I watched Adele sip her coffee gently. And the reaction was what I expected. I moved over on the counter so she could throw up in the sink. “You enjoy that?” i asked jokingly. Adele lifted her head and looked at me angrily, like I had poisoned the coffee or something. She stuck her tongue out at me. “You’ll lose that if you stick it out all the time.” She quickly withdrew her tongue and covered her mouth. I chuckled and looked at the clock. Eight thirty. “Go get your stuff. We’re leaving in two minutes.” She nodded and ran off to gather her things.

We basically ran out the door to the school. Adele had to piss last minute (she’s a kid. Of course she had to go.) and couldn’t find her bag and book. So yea, we got some extra exercise today!

When I entered the classroom, everyone stared at me. Well, not the kids. They knew me. But the parents were staring. What? Do I have something on my face? I don’t understand why they’re looking at me like that. I smiled and shrugged as Adele pulled me along.

She basically explained everything in the classroom, as if I were a new kid or something. I just kept saying “Cool.” over and over. I only really meant it when she showed us the school pet. Betty, the hamster. But Betty was a boy. But whatever. They’re kids, I’ll let it slide.

After five minutes of touring, Adele pulled me over to a group of kids. I recognized a few, and a couple new ones. I guess this is her posse. That’s so bad ass.

“Frankie,” Adele started to explain, “This is Anna.” Adele motioned to a girl in braids. “Miranda.” She motioned towards another girl. “Mikee.” She pointed to a girl with brown hair and tannish skin. She smiled shyly at me. “And you know Hunter, Julie, and Sakura!” The three waved at me. I smiled at all six of them. The group started to talk amongst themselves as I looked around.

The room was...colorful. It was red, yellow, green, brown, scarlet, black, ochre, peach, ruby, olive, violet, fawn, lilac, gold, chocolate, mauve, cream, crimson, silver, rose, azure, lemon, russet, gray, purple, white, pink and orange. Oh, and blue. Wow. Twenty-nine colors in all. Wow. Wait. Weren’t those colors the lyrics to a song? It was red and yellow and green...

“Frankie!”

“What?!” I asked flustered. Adele was staring at me like I was on crack. Well, I was dazing off in my own little land of ponies and rainbows. Okay, maybe not. I noticed him then. The boy from yesterday.

“Um, this is Jesse,” Adele told me. She blushed and looked down at her hand, which was around his. Wait. WHAT?!?!

I was fuming on the inside, but I had to act cool. I wasn’t gonna embarrass Adele. I’m not gonna be the guy chasing his kid around the movie theater because I didn’t allow them to date. Yes, that was a memory.

I looked at Jesse. I was wrong yesterday. He had dark brown hair, not black, and brown eyes. He was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, just like me. So, why was I so upset? He seems nice I guess. Then again, he hasn’t talked yet.

“H-Hi,” he said. He looked at his shoes and blushed. Oh, he’s shy. I can handle with that.

“Um, hey,” I replied. I smiled at him. Adele grinned from ear to ear. Luckily, at that moment, Ms. Smith called everyone to their tables, and Jesse wasn’t at Adele’s/ But Hunter was. Oh well, I can deal.

The rest of the day (surprisingly) flew by. Since it was raining, everyone was playing inside, which was cool. If Adele wanted me to go on the swings or something with her, I think I would have passed. Two words my friend. Total Destruction.

Towards the very end, the teacher wanted to talk to the parents each privately. I was the last to go, which was weird cause I always thought teachers did everything in alphabetical order. But oh well! Change is good!

I walked into an empty classroom, to find Ms. Smith sitting at a desk waiting for me. I small chair sat across from her. I wasn’t sure if I should sit down though. I just stood there like an ass.

“You can sit down if you’d like,” she told me. There we go with the ‘You’ again! It’s starting to piss me off.

“Um, okay,” I replied. I sat down on the chair.

“So, Mr.-” she paused.

“Iero,” I told her.

“Right. Um, Mr. Iero, I wanted to talk to you about something about Adele.”

“Sure. Go right ahead.”

“Um, well, some of the parents are worried about her and have been asking a lot of questions. I mean, I personally, aren’t worried about Adele. She’s doing very well. But some of the students and parents think otherwise.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well,” she started, “They’re worried about her living situation, getting what she needs, being taught the right things in life. You know, that sort of thing.”

“Well, if they want to ask me any questions, I’m willing to answer,” I told her. I don’t understand why everyone’s so worried. I mean, we’re not hurting her in any way, or telling her to hurt others. She’s been doing better as far as I know.

“Um, well, what is your living situation is one of them,” she told me.

“Well, Adele’s living with me, her uncle, and our three friends on our tour bus. We’re not planning on touring again until Marc, Adele’s father, gets back from wherever he is.”

“All right. Um, is she getting everything she needs?”

“Yea. Clothes, shelter, water, food. Pretty much anything. Not that we’d spoil her or anything. We just get her what she needs. That’s it. And she’s fine with that,” I told her.

“Okay, um, there is one thing that I wanted to ask though,” she said. I looked at her. Didn’t she just say she wasn’t worried? Oh well. I don’t mind answering another question.

“What?”

“Um, does Adele realize what’s going on?” What?

“I’m pretty sure she does. But I think she’s getting better at coping with it.”

“Oh, um okay.”

“Why?”

“No reason!”

“There’s obviously a reason if you’re asking me this.”

“It’s just,” she started to explain, “She draws and writes a lot. Not about horrible things, but not about happy things either. In some of her doodles,” she pulled out a couple of papers from her desk drawer, “She drew things that worried me. Like, a crying girl.” I happened to see that picture first. It wasn’t very good. It was mostly scribbles, but you could indeed tell it was her crying, “Someone running away scared,” I saw that one next. You just saw a stick figure running away, “And this.” She pointed to the last picture. It made me chuckle. I knew what it was.

“There’s nothing to worry about with this one. It’s an attempted copy of the cover of one of our albums. It’s harmless.” I told her. I stared at the picture chuckling. It looked nothing like Gerard’s art. It was just a blob of white and red and black. What did Gerard ever do to her? Sweet Revenge obviously.

“Well, all right. But if it gets worse, I’m going to call you in for another meeting,” Ms. Smith told me.

“Okay,” I replied, “I guess I’ll be going.”

“All right. Get home safely.”

“Thanks.” And with that, I left the classroom, papers still in hand.

Gerard was there when I came out. I looked at my watch. Three o three. Wow. Time flies by when you’re getting the third degree!

“Hey,” Gee said. Adele was already with him, “Ready to go?”

“Yea,” I told him, “Let’s go.” We started walking to the school door when something caught my attention. I turned around. It was Jesse walking out with a woman. Wait. Is that?

“Alison?”