Adventures in Babysitting

Chapter Fifteen: Movies

Chapter Fifteen: Movies

The next week went by too quickly. I still hadn’t figured out what was freaking Adele out so much. I mean, I know it’s the nightmares, but still. What’s in the nightmares that freaks her out so much? I don’t know.

What I do know is that Adele has an extra day off this weekend, so I have to think of about a million and one ideas of stuff to do. Crap. I have too much on my hand right now. With our first concert in weeks tomorrow and Adele’s three day weekend, I feel like shit. I’m so stressed out and I just need a break. I sound like a parent, don’t I?

At that moment, Adele cam charging through the front door and tackled me on the couch. “Hey,” I told her. She pulled away and giggled slightly. I smiled. I looked up. Gee was standing in the door. I picked up Adele and placed her on the floor. She scurried off to her bunk. “What’s going on?”

“Bad news,” he started. Uh oh. “Brian’s sick.” Damn!

“What does that mean then?” I asked. Please don’t say! Please don’t say it!

“No concert,” he sighed. Fuck! Nooo! “Well, not this weekend anyway.”

“This sucks,” I replied. I fell back onto the couch.

“Yea.” Gee sat next to me.

“So...what are we gonna do?”

“Whatd’ya mean?”

“Adele. Got any ideas.” We both thought for a minute.

“We could make her watch that video all weekend!” Gee suggested. He laughed as I pushed him jokingly. God I hate that video! Charlie the Unicrap or whatever. It’s retarded. It makes you stupider. And in my case, that’s not to swell and dandy.

“Yea Gee! Sure! That sounds nifty!” I replied sarcastically. Gerard laughed.

“Yea. I hate that video too,” he said. We both started laughing.

“So,” I started, “Any real ideas?”

“Um,” we both paused to think, “Well, there’s this new movie coming out that Mikey and Ray wanted to see for the hell of it. How about that?”

“Sounds good,” I said, “What about us?”

“Dunno,” he paused, “You wanna see it?”

“What movie?”

“Strawberry Shortcake.”

I moved away quickly and stared at him. My eyes widened. What the fuck? That’s not normal for a bunch of grown men. Then again, we all have very geeky interests. Typical Mikey. I’m surprised he didn’t suggest My Little Pony. Or was that last week?

“Um, not thanks,” i replied laughing. Gee nodded.

“Strawbeery Shorcake’s not your thing?” he asked.

“Um....no,” I replied.

“Don’t deny it!”

“It’s not true! I hate Strawberry Shortcake!”

“What did she do to you?”

“She spit in my face and mentally scarred me!”

“Don’t get her confused with My Little Pony!”

“I’m not!”

“You’re making excuses aren’t you?” he asked. I looked around. “I knew it! Well you know what, Strawberry Shortcake hates you too!” He turned away and started cracking up. Hell, I did too. We’re so weird...

“So, do you think Adele will want to see the movie?” I asked. I don’t know if she’s into that kinda thing. Doesn’t seem like it. But hey, you learn something new everyday, right?

“I don’t know. Let’s find out,” he turned to face the door, “ADELE!!!!!!!!!!” Ow. My ear.

“Yea?” she asked, peeking out the door. She ran over to us and raised a brow.

“We were thinking of seeing a movie this weekend.”

“Cool!” Gee chuckled. “What movie?” Uh oh.

“Strawberry Shortcake,” Gee replied. Adele’s face went pale and her eyes narrowed. Uh oh. Gee’s gonna get his ass kicked by a five year-old. Watch out!

“Ew! I hate Strawberry Shortcake!” she screamed. I started rolling on the floor laughing. Gee started laughing too. Adele looked at us like we were on crack. I sat up and wiped a tear from my eye. I sat back on the couch, still chuckling.

“Um..what movie do you wanna see then?” I asked.

Adele thought for a minute, “Saw III!” I tried to restrain from laughing. Now I didn’t expect that! Maybe Blood and Chocolate, but not Saw!

“Um...I don’t think that’s in theaters anymore Adele,” Gerard replied. Saved yet again by Gee! “How about Disturbia?”

“Oh...okay.” Wow. She sounds so disappointed. She walked off to the bunk area to talk to Mikey about it I guess. Maybe Ray. Hell, maybe even Bob! You never know right?

“So, are we going to the movies now?” I asked. I saw Disturbia already with Gee last month. It wasn’t good enough to see again. It kind of sucked actually.

“You want to go?” he asked. I shook my head. “I’m not up to seeing a crappy movie right now. Maybe I’ll draw or read something.”

“Yea,” I replied. With that, Gee walked off to go talk to Mikey about the movies that weekend. I sat down with my notebook and guitar. I was almost done with my song now. I worked on it a lot last week while Adele was at school. I should be done with it soon. Suddenly, I heard someone yell from the bunks, “But I wanted to see Strawberry Shortcake! You promised you’d take me!!!” I fell to the floor laughing hysterically.

Oh Mikey, what are we gonna do with you?