Human Nature

Prologue

The room was dark except for the dancing light of the shadow pool. Figures swam lazily through it, flickering in and out of sight. A tall woman swathed in shimmering golden light stood in front of the pool, her hair flashing different colors as she moved from side to side. A man stood next to her, the light around him was darker, and his form a little less defined.

“Realla…” He moaned, despair etched into his deep voice. She tore her eyes away from the glowing pool and looked at him mournfully.

“How could we do this Zannell? It wasn’t supposed to happen this way… I can’t stand the pain; do they really feel that way all the time? It’s horrible…” She buried her slight face in his chest, weeping through many faceted eyes. Zannell was resolutely silent, the shock evident on his face. He held her close and tried to exude a feeling of ease. Her turbulent emotions tore his away, and he was hit with her feelings like the force of a tidal wave.

A boy walked into the room quietly, looking onto the pool concentrating hard on the images inside. They slowly became clearer and more defined. People scuttled around huge buildings, and the mix of tyrannical emotions coming from all of them made the boy wince slightly.

“What are you doing here Kaden?” Zannell asked, noticing his son for the first time. Kaden was silent for a moment, his eyes, so much like his mothers, still locked onto the sight before him.

“How could you do this? Cause all this pain? And there are so many of them… Some of them don’t even have souls.” He shuddered convulsively, backing away from all of it. Realla tried to explain.

“They are simply conscious energy.”

“How can they think and feel without a soul? I don’t understand…”

“They just exist for as long as they’re bodies will allow, and then their energy is redistributed through the planet.” She continued.

“How is that possible? What are they, anyway?”

“Personas Humanitoi. People, in short, the smartest and most parasitic creatures in the world.” Realla stated, a bit of pride in her voice.

“All of the other creatures are from different planets. We tried to make Earth the only planet with billions of completely separate species.” Zannell finished for her.

“Have you seen what they’ve done to Earth? To the other creatures within it? It’s almost completely destroyed. These people are like a plague”-

“Exactly what the council believes.” A cold sharp voice rang through the room, making them all turn quickly.

“Hello Raineth.” Zannell whispered to the new presence. Her energy was ice cold and domineering, its color inky black.

“Out of Gryhdenjle so soon? I’m surprised.” She laughed, high and ominous notes ringing through the stone walls. Realla’s lip curled in disgust at the remark.

“Still low inquisitor I see, cruelty begets cruelty darling.” She mused spitefully. Raineth clenched her jaw in anger.

“Watch your step Realla. I’m here to tell you what you might interpret as good news. The council has decided to obliterate your failed ‘project’.” She smirked coldly at them. Realla’s jaw dropped, as did Zannell’s, but Kaden only sat in stony silence.

“I will make sure Kytahana contacts you the day of, good night.” She left with a curt nod, leaving them numb with shock.

“I didn’t know they were planning to destroy the entire thing, what a waste.” Zannell sighed, sitting down on the lightly carpeted floor. Realla dropped into his lap compulsively and covered her face in her hands.

“Are you really going to let them do this?” Kaden murmured slowly.
“Do we have a choice?” Realla countered with a fretful laugh.

“You could make another one, another earth, and monitor the progress of the creatures on it this time.” He offered, perking up at the idea.

“And go to Grynhdenjle again? No.” Zannell dismissed it.

“Ask the councils permission then! Let them monitor the progress along with you.” He continued. Zannell contemplated this slowly, but Realla was all over it.

“Yes! Think what these creatures would be capable of if they could be controlled. I like it, and I know the council would love to be in on it.” She visibly glowed with excitement.

“As long as we are approved by the council I think it will be alright.” He finally agreed.

“Pick six males and six females. Make sure they are strong, fit, and don’t have many lasting relationships with others they will be leaving behind.” He decided, voicing this order to Kaden alone.

“We will take care of everything else, but Kaden, this is your job alone.” Realla added. Kaden, eyes shining brightly, smiled a warm, almost too happy smile, before leaving the room and disappearing. What his parents did not seem to notice was the faint air of deceit in his passing aura.
♠ ♠ ♠
It gets better, and I plan on fixing this chapter up some more. I can never seem to capture the immense dissatisfaction that the souls have about Earth. And they are really fearful of the council because they were put in prison for creating Earth illegally. Just in case u didnt catch that.

~Morgan

It gets better.