Human Nature

Chapter 10

“Zane”, she said, looking at me tenderly, “don’t think I mean anything by asking you this, there isn’t a catch or anything, but, I get really lonely in this house and if you would like to stay, I would”- I silenced her with a kiss.

“I will be here,” I murmured in between kisses, “as long as you want me.” She smiled then.

“You’re going to be here an awfully long time then Mr. Tresden.” She said, playing with the hem of my shirt.

“You can bet on that Ms. Howell.” I replied, my finger hooked in the loop of her jeans. She nuzzled my neck playfully and I scooped her up in my arms, carrying her upstairs with a promise of better topics.
**********************************************************************

When I woke up, the sun was shining through the sheer curtains in an unfamiliar and slightly annoying way. It landed directly on my eyelids, making me open them. I froze and I felt my heart stop momentarily. The entire morning playing in my head like a movie, a very hot and passionate movie. I rolled over and nearly passed out from surprise. Raven lay curled around me like some sort of dark cat. I breathed in deeply to regain my composure and ran my fingers through my sweaty hair. I needed to think, I needed to gather my thoughts, I needed a shower.

I crawled slowly out of the bed and tucked the green satin sheets around her. I smiled slightly as she rolled into an even tighter ball and her tangled hair fell in her face. Resisting the urge to push it back and kiss her I ducked into the shower. When the icy spray hit me I had to bite my lip to keep from crying out in shock. What had we done? Well, obviously I knew what we had done, but why? What had happened to lead us to this? I mean she was beautiful, fun, smart, and … had invited me to live with her. And she hadn’t held back, not one little bit.

Grinning, I breathed in deeply and tilted my head to the ceiling. I loved her, plain and simple. But could I love her? More to the point, did I have the right to? All I would do is bring her more heartbreak. My past was shattered, and if I told her what I had done, she might try to have me committed. But the look on her face when we kissed in the kitchen, the light in her eyes I saw flash every time she looked at me, and the way she wanted me all added up to one very strong conclusion. She had to love me too.

I shut the water off and toweled my hair dry, and then wrapped it around my waist. I didn’t notice her leaning against the bathroom door in a long shirt, and maybe nothing else. Her jewel like eyes gazed at me with something close to adoration, or maybe it was just ravenous hunger seeing we both hadn’t eaten breakfast. I threw her a flirtatious smile that made her raise her arched eyebrows.
“What? Not sexy enough for you?” I teased. She grinned and handed me a pair of jeans and a long sleeved, dark brown, cashmere sweater with a pair of clean boxers. The boxers, sadly, were pink and sported black hearts. I grimaced at them with distaste.

“Don’t let it creep you out, but these were like his favorite pair.” She smiled, winking at me.

“Oh, thanks.” I picked her up and carried her into the bedroom. I tossed her onto the bed a bit more unceremoniously than I had planned. She glowered at me with a smile tugging at her port red lips.

“Stay,” I pointed at her, widening my eyes to look more serious, as I would a dog. She barked in response, tongue hanging out in a playful manner. I went back into the bathroom and pulled on her brother’s clothes, suppressing a shudder when I remembered who her brother was, why I came here in the first place. To honor him, and here I was, screwing his sister. What he would think? But I love her! I crowed.

I walked out of the bathroom with undisguised glee on my face. Raven was still on the bed, only now she was sprawled across it with her face in the pillow. I stared at her for a few moments, and then slid down next to her, kissing her cheek. She turned to me and I ran my fingers down her neck, leaning in I kissed her lips softly.

“Raven?” I murmured.

“Hmmm?”

“I love you.”