Past, Present...Destiny

The Potters and the Quidditch World Cup

With nothing to do but move forward, Alana dragged her trunk along the rows of tents. The little signs were in alphabetical order, so she sped up to the P's. She passed by Parkinson, Patil, Pruet... Potter. An older-middle aged looking couple was sitting in front of a campfire pit, trying to light a match. They were dressed in mismatched Muggle clothes, but she could tell they were still very well off and respectable. Alana gathered up some courage, clearing her throat a little.
"Umm... Mr. and Mrs. Potter?" she said timidly. They looked up, and got up, beaming.
"Hello dear! You must be Alana!" the woman said warmly, and to Ally's surprise gave her a big bear hug. "I'm Janet, and this is my husband Theodore."
"Splendid to meet you." the man said, shaking your hand. "How is your father? I haven't spoken to him in quite a while-"
"Oh, umm he's fine. Really excited for the match." Alana said, a little distracted by all the commotion.
"And how are you?" Mr. Potter asked sincerely. Does he know about mum? Alana gawked a little.
"I uhh... I'm ok. I think I'm adjusting alright." The Potters both nodded, and understood she didn't really want to talk about it.
"Come on dear... I'll help you unpack your things." Mrs. Potter said kindly. She led her inside. To her amazement, the size was nearly ten times as large as what it looked like from the outside. There was a main lounge room, a bathroom, and three other doors. Mixie was there, just resting. Alana was led to a spare room.
"This is your room..." Mrs. Potter left, and Alana unpacked and changed. The house elves had packed extra clothes to match the cloaks- a light blue cotton jersey dress for the navy blue robe, which Ally wore, and a black one for the dark green robe. When she was done brushing her hair, she went back outside and sat down tentatively.
"My, what a difference!" Mr. Potter exclaimed. "You fit right into normal wizard clothes." he beamed. She thanked him shyly.
"James come out here and greet our guest-" Mrs. Potter called into the tent. There was some rustling from inside. A boy's head popped out, and then he stepped outside. He had very messy black hair, big hazel eyes, and shiny square rimmed glasses. He was in a bright red and orange cloak that looked like the one Sheridon had, with the name Bowne stitched on the back. He seemed extremely excited about the game. He gave a small, distracted wave, while looking around at the other tents.
"This is James.... James this is Alana, Mr. Clavering's daughter." At this, he perked up, all his attention on Alana.
"I didn't know he had a daughter." No one does... she thought glumly.
"James was just going to go look at souvenirs... Right?" his mother said, giving him a small push.
"Yea... Want to come?" he asked. Alana nodded, and followed him at a trot. "So, are you going to Hogwarts too? First year?"
"Yup."
"... Do you think that you could introduce me to your dad? I mean I've met him, but that was when I was like 5 or something..."
"Uhh... Yea, sure." James gave you a big smile. "Can you umm... Explain quidditch to me?" Alana asked quietly. He looked at her puzzled. "I grew up with my mum, and she was a Muggle so..."
"Oh, well there are four positions, the chasers, beaters, keeper and seeker. There are three chasers which fly around trying to score points with the quaffle, this big red ball, by throwing them through the other team's hoops... There's this tough black ball called the bludger, which flies around trying to attack people. The two beaters have bats and try to keep the bludgers away from their own players. The keeper guards the goals. And the seeker, the hardest job, tries to look for the snitch, which is this tiny golden ball with these wings... It's super small and really really fast, and one of the seekers has to catch to end the game. It earns the team 150 points, which nearly always gives them the win." James explained, as him and Alana made their way over to the consignment stands. She tried to remember all this so she would be able to keep up with the game.

They looked at all the souvenirs. There were so many cool things to buy, like cheering flags, figurines of the players, replica uniforms... Alana passed by a stall of brass binoculars with all sorts of weird buttons and dials, and tugged on James's sleeve. "These would be really useful." she said. He agreed, and they both bought one, each for 5 galleons (large gold coins the size of hubcaps). They were called Omnioculars. They could rewind and replay in slow motion, and zoom in and out anytime.
After that, she bought an Embers hat and a Fizzing Whizbee, that to her horror for a few seconds, made her float for a few minutes, which was quite thrilling. After about 3 more hours of wandering the place, it was time for dinner. Alana and James started heading back... Alana and James made their way back to the tent, where his parents were cooking inside.
"We couldn't get the fire to work..." Mr. Potter chuckled. So, their house elf Frita make them a simple dinner of spaghetti, salad and pumpkin juice. They all chatted about the match, the interesting people they'd seen around the field... Mr. and Mrs. Potter talked about their old times at Hogwarts, and some tips.
"Now I'm not sure if old Herbert is still teaching there..."
"He was the meanest teacher ever. He'd dock points off you if you sneezed during a test..."
"If you got on his bad side at least."
"And Professor Binns, the History of Magic teacher... He's a ghost... But abysmally boring."
"Yes, people say that one day he was dozing in the teacher's lounge, died, and his ghost walked out of his body not realizing he was dead. He still doesn't."
Alana and James laughed at this. Alana felt quite comfortable with the Potters. Mr. and Mrs. Potter were very warm and friendly, and treated her like she was part of the family. And James was like the brother she never had. Even though she'd only just met him, they had grown a fondness for each other that only children can possibly do. When they had walked around the field he steered her away from all the scary looking wizards, and had told her about all the jokes and pranks he liked to pull...
However, there was still a small spot of darkness in her eyes. Of course, this was understandable, since her mother had just died. But Mr. and Mrs. Potter noticed that when she didn't talk, which was most of the time, she observed everything like a small, caged kitten- curious and respectful, but sad, lonely, and a little isolated.