The Next Big Thing.

A suprise at the door . . .

Gerard ran his fingers through his hair, fatigued. He longed to be able to smile, laugh, or at least be pleased with himself at some point. As he was thinking of how much more enhanced his life could be, he came to the attention of a soft ringing. It was the bell for his flat; and Ray Toro, one of his best [and only] friends was standing at the entrance, waiting. Gerard sighed, still very weary, and got up to answer the door.

‘Alright, Alright !!!’

Gerard unlatched the door, and his eyes met not only Rays, but the eyes of another. A beautiful another. Gerard stared, keen not to take his eyes of this girl. Her hair was manifold colours, black, red and blonde. The blonde hair graced her face and shoulders as it swept out from underneath the black and red that adorned her cheeks and forehead. She was of a slim build, a tiny frame that was sunken within her clothes. She was wearing a pair of slim fitting grey jeans that complimented her shape well, and a black Misfits top, which was also an accolade. She looked up sharply when Ray spoke, and her vivid blue eyes penetrated Gerard like needles, minus the pain of course. He suddenly became self conscious, something he hadn’t felt in a long time. He felt repulsive and ghastly next to this statute of splendour, dressed down yet still rather imposing. Gerard was then bought back to life with an unpleasant bump.

‘Hey Gerard’

Gerard took his eyes off the girl to face Ray.

‘Hey, um, come on in’

Ray made his way past Gerard and into his kitchen, followed by the girl, who fixed Gerard with a indiscriminate look as she passed. It was obvious she was interested in who he was; never mind what he looked like. Gerard closed the door and turned round. She was still gazing at him, over her shoulder as she turned the corner. Gerard paused, then followed suit into the kitchen.

‘So, why are you round here ?’ asked Gerard, courteously.

‘Look Gerard, we know. We know it’s hard for you right now, after her . . .’

‘Okay, I don’t need a rendition of it, thank you. It’s fresh enough in my mind as it is.’
Gerard felt below par at the very mention of his late grandmother, and he didn’t appreciate it being talked about generally.

‘Okay, I understand. Um, this is Keira, she is my sisters friend.’

‘Oh right, hi Keira. . .’