Slip Into The Tragedy.

Chapter One

Image

I clutched my teddy bear closer to my fragile body. My little 6-year-old mind spun in confusion as the bright police and ambulance lights flashed on, and as the wailing of the sirens puncturing my ears. I was just sitting there dumbfound and afraid, on the gravel as I watched my car – or what is left of my car – being dragged off by a tow truck. Also three stretchers that carry the lifeless body of my family. My parents, and my older brother, Theodore. Even at the age I was in, I knew what was happening. My family just disappeared right in front of my eyes, they were gone and never to be seen again. I wiped off a lone tear that leaked out of my light hazel eyes.

We were in the car, my dad driving, my mom in the passenger seat and my brother and I in the back seat. Theo and I were laughing at the jokes my mom and dad just said, and I remembered their eyes twinkle with happiness when they heard our laughter. Then too soon, our laughter stopped in a sudden halt as a blinding bright light flashed before our eyes. It took the life of my parents, and Theo. I loved them so much; I was never prepared for this. Theo was just 8, he doesn’t deserve to die yet.

Suddenly my eyes met a pair of familiar hazel eyes. At first I actually thought that he was my brother, but a split second later I realized it was a boy, about my brothers age and height. He has dark brown hair that looks like it could be black and light hazel eyes. Just like everyone else in my family. He seems awfully familiar.

“Gerard!”

I saw him whipped around to see a woman probably in her late 20’s walking briskly towards us. She too, has light hazel eyes and dark brown hair. She looks exactly like my mother. Behind her a man – who I thought would probably be her husband – walked equally as briskly as her holding the hand of a young boy about my age. All of who has the same light hazel eyes and dark brown hair. Except for the younger boy, who has a lighter shade of brown. They all look strangely familiar.

The woman reached us first and crouched down to my level, her hazel eyes penetrating mine.

“Helena?” She said softly.

I nodded.

“I’m your Aunt Donna” She said with a small sad smile.

Then it all came back with a pang of realization. She is my mother’s twin sister. The one who was always coming over when I was only 2 or 3, the one that moved to Jersey when I was 4 and that I’ve never seen for a very long time. My eyes flashed over to the boy that was still standing there, looking at me. He was my cousin. My brother’s best friend. I remembered my brother hugging him the last time before he moved to Jersey. He was so nice. Always smiling and laughing along with my brother, because at that time I was so young. I looked over to the man and the younger boy that now stand beside them. I remembered them both from early days in my house, the younger boy would always kept me company every time the older boy and my brother went out to play. I missed them so much.

My eyes filled with tears at the thought of my brother and Aunt Donna hugged me as I sobbed into her chest. She too was crying softly to the back of my hair, her husband behind her, patting her back affectionately. The two boys sat on either side of me, the older one’s eyes glazing over, as he too probably thought of his dead cousin. We sat there for an immeasurable time until at last Aunt Donna broke the silence as she broke off her sobbing.

“Helena, because of the accident you’re going to stay with us honey. Don’t be scared.” She said softly, stroking the back of my head. She looks so much like my mom.

“Is mommy and daddy and Theo really gone?” I asked in my small feeble voice.

She nodded and broke off to sobs once more. This time the man behind her addressed me as he too crouched down to my level.

“It’s okay sweetie, mommy, daddy and Theo is looking down at you from the heavens right now. They’ll watch over you. Like we will from now on.” He said, cracking a small watery smile. I remembered that his name was Don, Uncle Don.

“I know.” I said trying to wipe out my tearful eyes.

They all smiled at me as Uncle Don picked me up and carried me in his arms. I was small enough to fit in his arms perfectly, even as a five year old I was still very small. He carried me in one arm, the other one holding the hand of the younger boy. He smiled up at me, his eyes hidden behind a pair of thick rimmed glasses. Uncle Don carried me over to his car and placed me carefully inside.

“Helena you stay in here while I get your things. Mikey you should stay in here too.” He said to both me and the little boy. Then he walked back to my house apparently helping his wife to gather all of my belongings.

“Hey,” He said, a sympathetic smile on his cute little face.

“Hi,” I said back, snuggling closer to my teddy bear.

“I’m Mikey, your cousin.” He said, uncertainly as if thinking that I forgotten him.

“I know,” I said, smiling.

Those words are followed with a long pause of awkward silence. I liked the silence; I didn’t dare to break it.

“Everything is going to be okay, Lena” Mikey said softly

“How do you know?” I asked, tears now forming in my eyes.

“Everything goes okay in the end.” He said, climbing into the seat next to me

“But I have no one,” I stated, sobbing now. “No one is going to take care of me.”

Mikey looked shocked. “Of course you got someone to take care of you! You have my mommy, my daddy, Gerard and me!”

“Would you take care of me?” I asked in a small feeble voice.

“Of course! And Gerard too!” Mikey said with a comforting smile.

“Would he?” I asked, cracking an involuntary smile.

“Yeah, I would” Said a voice from the open car door.

We both whipped around and found Gerard standing from the opening of the car door. His eyes were teary and misty, but he too was smiling a small sad smile. He climbed into the seat on my other side.

“Would you?” I asked again, with obvious hope in my voice.

“Of course yes!” Gerard said, and suddenly smiled even wider. “I’ve always wanted a little sister.”

“And I always wanted a twin sister.” Mikey piped out from the other side of me.

I beamed wider as Gerard pulled me closer to him. He put his arm around my shoulder and I leaned my head against his shoulder. Then I looked up to his soft hazel eyes, gazing into mine.

“Do you promise?” I asked, and then whipped around to Mikey. “Do you both promise?”

“I promise” Mikey said firmly, taking my hand in his, smiling softly.

“I promise” Gerard said, kissing the top of my head.

And as I sat there, I feel what Mikey said could be right. Things have to get better. No, things will get better. Somehow, someway, my life wouldn’t be so messed up as it is now. Yes, I’ve lost my parents and my only brother, but I have another set of parents and two brand new brothers. I love my new family, but I love my old one more. I felt closeness with these two guys. Even at this young age, they could understand my feeling completely and I feel could care for me so much.

I love them so much, and I know that they love me too. And I also know that they wouldn’t leave me.
For now.
♠ ♠ ♠
hey :]
this is my first story ever so please don't judge me too harshly,
i've had this on word since forever so it took me a hell lotta courage to actually put it in here :P

so please comment/review/critic
i totally need to know how im doing in this, cos im totally new :/

xx
claudia.