Feels Just Like We're Losing Control

Keep Telling Yourself That

I unplugged my flatiron and messed up my hair a little. I looked good for my first day of high school. My eyeliner was perfect. I was wearing my new silver lip rings, tight black jeans, and my black Taking Back Sunday shirt. Damn, I was fine.

"Rob, hurry up! It takes ten minutes to walk to school!" my mom yelled up the stairs.

I ran to my room and grabbed my backpack. It was heavy with all the new school supplies my mom had gone crazy buying. I grunted and lifted it on my back.

"Take something to eat on the way," my mom said.

I sighed and grabbed a granola bar from the kitchen.

"Bye Mom," I said, giving her a quick peck on the cheek.

"Have a good day," she told me, barely looking up from the newspaper.

I left the house and walked quickly up the hill. I ate my granola bar quickly and kept my eye on where I was headed: Greene High School. High school was going to be fun. I'd date a million girls, lose my virginity, and make tons of cool new friends. It was going to be awesome. I got more butterflies when I made it to the front door of the school. Taking a deep breath, I opened the door and walked inside.

I was immediately shoved aside by a huge boy with curly hair.

"Watch it, freak!" he yelled at me.

I ignored him and kept walking. My schedule had said that my first period was Mr. Lawrence in C-5. I knew where that was, so I walked the familiar way to his room. On the way I checked out all the girls. They really weren't all that great looking, but I told myself that I would find prettier ones.

Once I found the door, I slowly walked inside to find a seat. Not in the front, definitely. The teacher might spit. Not in the back. I'd just seem like I had something to hide. There was an open seat by the window with nobody around it. That would be a good choice. I walked to my seat and sat down, noticing the cool maps and globes all over the room. This class might be my favorite.

High school would be great.