Feels Just Like We're Losing Control

Chapter 3

In the first day lunch crowd, there was no way I was going to find Hayley.

"Yo, Rob!"

I turned around and saw her with two Rice Krispie treats in one hand and two bottles of Milo's tea in the other. She waved at me and waited for me to go over to her. I could barely make my feet move, but for the 33rd time that day, I was pushed and I ended up about a foot away from her.

"Well hello there," she teased.

I smiled, and she turned and walked to a table by the window.

"I sat here by myself all last year, and I always sat at this table. I'm glad I have someone to sit with now," she told me.

"Me too," I agreed.

We sat down before I realized that I didn't have any food.

"I'll be right back!"

"Where are you going?" she asked, unwrapping her Rice Krispies treat.

"To get food."

"But I got this for you."

She gave me the Rice Krispies treat she wasn't eating and a bottle of tea.

"Wow, Hayley, you didn't have to do that!"

I fumbled for my wallet in my back pocket and she reached out and squeezed my hand.

"Don't worry about paying me back. I've got it," she said quietly.

"Well let me buy you something tomorrow."

"Seriously. I just wanted to buy this for you. It was only like two dollars. Just let me get this."

She was still holding my hand. I hoped that my palms weren't sweaty.

"Why don't you go home with me?" I asked.

She pulled away her hand to cover her mouth as she laughed.

"What? What is it?" I asked nervously.

She laughed even harder and blushed. Then it hit me.

"No! No! I just meant if you wanted to come in my room...oh, that sounds worse. I meant just to hang out? We could listen to music? Oh God, I'm sorry."

She stopped laughing and smiled at me. Her cheeks were still red from blushing.

"I know, Rob. I was just teasing you, honey," she informed me.

"Okay. I didn't want you to think I wanted in your pants so soon."

Oh no, I'd done it again.

"Ah, shit," I muttered.

"Why don't we just settle it with this? I'll go to your house if you tell me where you live. I can give you a ride home today. On one condition."

"What's that?" I asked, looking down at the table.

"My pants will stay on!"

She tossed her head back and laughed harder than she had before.

"Hayley," I groaned.

"I'm sorry, I had to," she giggled out, breathless from all the laughter.

I teasingly made a face at her and opened my Rice Krispies treat. I ate while she laughed some more.

"Is my embarrassment really that hilarious?" I asked her.

"Yup," she answered with a grin.

She took a sip of tea and looked in my eyes. I silently wished for he to never look away, and she didn't for a little while.

"Hey sexy!"

"Hey, babe!" Hayley called to someone behind me.

I turned around to see a guy with a white jacket and white framed sunglasses strolling to our table.

"Who's the hottie?" he asked, pointing at me.

"Oh, this is Rob. Rob, this is my friend Seven. He's a sophomore like me."

"Adorable," he whisper-yelled to Hayley.

"You just gonna stand there and not give me a hug?" she scolded jokingly.

He smiled and ran on his tiptoes to hug her.

"I'm sorry dear, but I must go," he said after the hug, then pecked her on the cheek and scampered off in the other direction.

"Bye Seven!" she yelled after him.

"Cute outfit by the way!" he called over his shoulder. "Call me!"

"I will."

"Not you, Hayley. Rob!"

Seven blew me a kiss and I smiled back.

"You're cute too, Hayley!" Seven shouted before disappearing into the mass.

Hayley sat back down and looked at me.

"Is he...?"

"I would have no idea. He's so flamboyant, but he's gotten like 30 blow jobs from all different girls," she spilled.

"He's cute," I whispered.

"You're gay?"

"No!' I denied, looking away.

"You like Seven, you like Seven!" she taunted.

My cheeks grew red and hot again.

"No, I'm 100% heterosexual, thank you very much," I argued.

"Right."

She obviously didn't believe me. Did I even believe myself? Ha. Not anymore.