Status: Active.

99 Ways to Save a Life

Believe: Hailey Garcia

I was that small, blue train – climbing up that treacherous mountain, straining the engine, and a smoke stack bellowing, “I can do it. I can do it”. Deep inside was a flaw that prevent it from scaling the steep slope and sent the vessel bustling back down; scraping against the iron rails. The cold truth was that I couldn’t do it – my veins ran clear of any worthiness to complete such complex tasks.

The sun dove behind the hunter pines – liquid beams seeped their way through the cracks between branches. My eyes scanned the towering evergreens sketching their way throughout fading pink sky. A sudden squeak ripped my attention from the green and brown portrait. Clicking on wooden floor filled the void in the room and then soon enough a lady in her late twenties occupied the chair across the desk from me.

“Hailey Garcia?” she questioned as she shuffled with her cream folders.

I attempted to choke something out, but the words tangled in built up phlegm. Instead, I responded with a slight nod.

“Why do you think you’re here, Hailey?” she asked me.

“Because my parents just don’t understand,” I wanted to say, but again, I choked up again. However, I quickly replaced it with a shrug.

“Your parents are worried about you; they want to hear your voice again, Hailey. The only way to accomplish that in the amount of time you have here is to take the first step. Hailey, you have to learn how to talk to me first,” she lectured.

I licked my bottom lip and eyed the folder she continued to fiddle with. A sigh made my eyes shift up to look at her – her face was painted with impatience.

“Hailey, can you tell me why you chose to be this way?” she asked – I froze.

”No, daddy, please,” I pleaded – tears were a river down my cheeks.

He ignored his five-year-old daughter’s request as he reached for his coat and eventually the door knob. I plunged for his leg and grasped on tight with all four limbs – every muscle in my body ached.

“Let go, Hailey,” he growled.

His tone automatically made me release.

“Every little word that comes out of your mouth is worthless to me,” he spoke violently, opened the door, and exited – the door slammed shut behind him.


My eyes turned into pools as they stung; I was certain I was going to cry. They found their way to the wooden ground before the pools would burst open.

“Hailey, you have to tell me,” she stated in her soothing, motherly voice. “You have to believe you can do it.”