Status: Active.

99 Ways to Save a Life

Let It Go: Erin Hoffman

Six thirty in the morning the sun upsurge in the east, and peaked its bright rays into her bedroom window, that's always half up. Seven to seven thirty, she took a cold shower and then brushed her teeth. Eight O' clock, Erin Hoffman was fully dressed and woken. She grabbed an apple and her car keys that lay on the counter by the refrigerator, and then she walked out the door.

The young woman took the long way to work every day, not because she hated her job, but it was relaxing to see things in the morning as nature found the strength to look beautiful as time passed. Nine twenty five, Erin pulled into the parkway for her job.

Welcome to Camp Conquer
Rehabilitation center for teens


She parked in the usual spot she did every day. Time stopped as she walked through those small doors filled with big hopes. Each day Erin Hoffman saved a teen's life whether she saw that or not.

“Good morning, Erin,” Stacy the camp's cheerful desk clerk said. Erin smiled and headed over to her office briefly placing her belongs down, and grasping her clipboard with today's events written on them.

Will the group show up today?

A question that floated in the back of her mind was asked frequently to herself, as she slowly walked delaying each step into the constantly soundless room of broken voices. Erin pushed the wooden doors open and to her surprise, majority of the teens were here.

Sleepless, blank, apprehensive, composed, and agitated faces looked intently at the woman who stood before them. She gave a weak smile, took a deep breath and pushed up her glasses and begun to speak.

“I see some new faces today, Sofia that's good,” she smiled at Sofia Cain who made no gesture back. “My name is Erin and Erin only. I will be your mentor for however long it takes. Yes, there is only one of me and lots of you. At Camp Conquer, we have about thirty staff on duty so, if I'm not around you can always talk with one of them. This. . . is a rehabilitation center for teens,” Erin paused rubbing her hands together. “And getting through step one is to realize the reason you're here. It's going to be a long process for the next month. I'm-”

“How long do we have to stay here?” A voice shouted from the back, which lost the woman's train of thought. She placed a smirk on her face because if that person was patient enough that question would have been answered.

“I'm. . .I'm not saying it's going to be easy, and as you look around this room most of the teens you see, will not make it to the end. Each problem is different and will take different times and medications. How you do depends on how well you do in treatment. Troubled teens who don't get help will become troubled adults. . . trust me, I know,” she gasped hearing herself talk. “Just remember, you're not alone in anything you do,” Erin paused again as her hands trembled. “When I think about all the things that you're faced with each day, I can see why it's so difficult to stay positive all the time. More and more teens are emerging from violent homes and spreading this type of behavior to others. The peer pressure can become somewhat. . .overwhelming.”

“I'm here because I have no other fucking choice. What if I don't want to do this?” The woman's eyes shot to the back row.

“Gosh, would you people shut up!”

Erin tried not to stutter over her words, as she looked at all the faces that didn't seem to care at the moment. They looked bored, but that didn't stop the strong woman from saying what she had to say.

“The world is full of challenges and sometimes things seem so bad that. . .that you may feel like it's too hard to face another day. You want to do this! There's so much to learn here. For teenagers that are still trying to find their place in the world it can b- be hard. There are many ways to help build a person’s confidence and inspire them. . . to continue trying even when things get tough.” Erin placed her hands behind her back to hide the unsteadiness.

“Erin, are you alright?” the woman quickly rose her head and saw Leah, whose voice sounded so sensual; it relaxed the older woman's mind.

“Thank you, Leah,” she cleared her voice and spoke loudly. The Mentor walked over to a table and grabbed something. “What you see in my hand is a pack of balloons and what I want you to do with them is – I want you to blow them up and write something on the front of the balloon that you want to let go, and once you're done. . . I'll give you a piece of string and we'll let them go. . . well, let’s start.”

Slowly, but surly one by one, each teen got from their seat grabbing all the materials they needed and went outside.

“Anansi, what are you going to put on your balloon?”

“Don't know yet,” he whispered underneath his breath, pulling down his baseball cap that covered half his face. Erin smiled and walked off.

“I'm Charlotte.”

“Ciara,” she whispered. Charlotte noticed that she was all by herself, like she was in a world of her own-and thought it'd be nice to say something.

“It's been. . .been awhile since I. . .I seen outside,” she replied, and before Charlotte could say anything back, she rushed off and grabbed her string from the counselor. Everyone was done and ready to let their balloon go as they crowded around their Mentor.

“Count to three, and then let them go, okay.”

One. . .Two. . .Three!

The blue sky was now dotted with big, round colorful balloons that flew towards heaven. Erin felt like she wanted to cry as she read what she could on the balloons.

Pain, heroin, myself, fear of others, booze, cutting, hating myself, Sex & drugs, Alcohol, Coke, Addiction, Saying yes, Being scared of my emotions, My past, voice, words.
♠ ♠ ♠
A young group of beautiful writers joined in with me on this project.
Hope you enjoy. Comments are fully appreciated.