‹ Prequel: Lies 1-50

True Confessions

Sundown.

I scratched my arm and repositioned myself under the oak tree. My lens pointed up into the leaves and I waited for the shutter to click. I was doing some photography before my first day of school. It was early morning and no one was in the park but me, the dew soaking through my shirt. I'd change in less than an hour.

Have you ever held a piece of time in your hands? Do you know what it feels like to be in the middle of a dream, only to be woken up and not remember a thing, but have it come back to you randomly at the most awkward moments? That's what pictures were like for me. They were my time, my awkward moments.

I snapped one more picture of the leaves and stood up, letting the camera hang around my neck as I cracked my fingers. My dark hair fell around my shoulders and I searched my pale wrists for a hair tie.

My search came up short and I sighed, starting my twenty minute journey home. My fingers clicked a few more times as I took some absent-minded pictures and walked into our neighbors lawn.

A yawn escaped my lips, but I knew I'd make up the sleep that night.

Stepping into the livingroom, I spotted my brother sleeping on the couch with his backpack secured on his shoulder.

I bent down and took a picture of him, so peaceful in his little dreamland. Gently, I shook him awake and his long eyelashes fluttered. "True?" His voice was rough but sounded lost in his throat.

"Hi Jake."

"Is it school yet?"

"In a few minutes. Go back to sleep."

His hands curled under his head and I climbed the stairs to change my shirt and find something to tie my hair up with.

"Good morning honey."

My mother was still so beautiful, only 41. I was 17, and so ugly in compairison to her. I looked more like my father, my features angular. Jake had gotten our mother's round features and curly hair.

"Hi mom."

"Going to change your shirt?"

"Yes. I'll be down in a few minutes."

I searched my drawers for a shirt and scanned my book shelf for a book to read for school.

My eyes fumbled over my father's book, I had never actually read it. Maybe it was time too.

I pulled the damp shirt off and looked at myself in the mirror. I was nothing special to look at... I yanked the new shirt on over my shoulders and grabbed my father's book off the shelf.

"Ready to go, True?"

"Yes Jake."

He hugged our mom and I waved a pitiful goodbye.

"Have a good first day kids. I love you."

"Love you too Mommy." Jake replied.

"Love you mom."

I took Jake's hand and we walked the few streets to our school, he was humming a song the entire way.

"Bye Jake."

I dropped my twin brother off at the Special Education class he loved, his friend Kyle was already waiting.

"HI TRUE!"

Kyle wrapped his arms around me and I smiled. "Hi Kyle."

"KYLE!"

Jake didn't like it when Kyle hugged me before he did when we said goodbye, thus leading me into an even longer hug with Jake.

"Bye Jake. Have fun, bud."

"Bye True. Make Friends."

"Bye True." Kyle waved and I walked away towards my homeroom in the Science room.

I was always put in the homeroom closest to Jake's class, just in case of emergency. I settled into my seat and pulled out a notebook, doodling until the teacher walked in.

"Good morning." She said as she flipped her blonde hair.

"Good morning."

I was always early because of Jake as well.

"Lucas!"

"True!"

My best friend came through the door next, waving to me frantically and then throwing his arms around me. He never judged me because of my brother, unlike everyone else. Luke understood me and he loved Jake like his own brother.

We hugged until the teacher cleared her throat and then we pulled apart.

"How was your summer?"

"Pretty good. I enjoyed every day I spent with you."

We laughed because he was over at my house every day. He helped with Jake and he even did chores. Sometimes he'd even stay over night just because Jake wanted him too.

"Ah, me too. I grieved every moment I didn't get to see your face."

We laughed again, his low voice blending with my high one.

The bell rang and students piled into homeroom, the smell of new paper flooded my nose and I sneezed.

Luke passed a tissue and smiled at me. "Thanks."

"Yup. Don't look up."

But I did anyway and sneezed again. Bright lights always made me sneeze.

He just laughed and gave me another tissue.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Lies Sequel Has Begun.