‹ Prequel: Lies 1-50

True Confessions

Winter Passing.

I woke up with this strange feeling deep inside me. Guilt, maybe?

"True? Good morning."

I looked around. I was still outside, there were twigs poking into my sides. I'd just begun to feel them.

"Hi. I have to get home. Crap."

I stumbled as I tried to stand and Brendon jumped up. "True. Calm down."

"What time is it?"

He pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and checked the time. "Almost 10. Why?"

"Ahhh, SUGAR."

"What?"

I began to run through the forest, not bothering to wait for him. I called behind me, "My uncle is coming over! Both of them... And their families. They should be here at noon! Oh god, I'm in so much trouble! SO MUCH TROUBLE!"

"What? Why?"

I stopped and turned, catching him off guard. He stumbled into me and I caught him. "Do your parents normally let you stay out all night?"

"My parents are never home" he said depressingly. "They have no idea what I do, nor do they care."

"I'm sorry." I started walking again, "I have to get home. Thank you for last night."

I was dashing into my yard after the last few words were spoken.

"True! Your camera!"

I stopped dead and turned around again. He ran up, breathless, and handed over my camera. I grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him into a kiss. It was rough and irrational, but I did it anyway.

"Thank you. For everything."

He nodded and asked in a tiny voice, "Could I call you later?"

"Yeah. Please, do."

I ran inside, expecting a lashing. I'd never done anything like that before and I was expecting punishment to be harsh, but fair.

They never even said a word.

"True, Dear, go get ready! Uncle Skinner will be here soon!"

I was shocked. My parents -especially my mother- were never so forgiving of my mistakes. They didn't even bother to ask where I'd been.

"Um, alright."

I walked upstairs carefully, anticipating the screaming to start. By the time I got to the shower, nothing had happened, so I assumed nothing would.

I washed up and got dressed in a black shirt with regular blue jeans. I did my eyes up in smoky eyeliner and let my hair air dry.

I walked down the stairs, suddenly sore from the night before. I wondered if there were any bruises on my body. I hadn't checked when I was in the shower.

"True? Where's Jake?"

"I... I'll go get him."

"Thanks."

Oh, I was going to have to keep them buttered up. They'd never let me live staying out the night before down if I didn't.

"UNCLE SKINNER IS IN TOWN!"

I heard him screaming from the floor below, as I woke up Jake. Jake had a red face from lying on his arm. "True?"

His voice was soft. I pushed the hair out of his face and smiled. "Uncle Skinner, Aunt Molly, and Dan are here."

He smiled. "Yay!"

"I don't know, but lets go say hi to Dan. He missed you."

If you set Dan and Jake next to each other, you'd find so many differences. Dan is completely goth, he looks like the devil. My brother is just amazingly opposite, and the only person who can make Dan smile.

They don't seem like a good pair, but they are.

Have I ever told you that Jake doesn't look like he has a mental disability? Some people look like they do, Jake looks like he doesn't.

One year a new girl transferred into our school and found my brother to be the most gorgeous boy on the planet. When she found out he was mentally retarded, she was so angry that she tried killing herself. Everyone embarrassed her for "LOVING THE RETARD."

I found it hurtful. She was a sweet girl.

She didn't even give Jake a chance.

"Let's go downstairs." I said and Jake lept in front of me.

"Okay!"

Dan was standing in the corner with Molly, Uncle Skinner was as hyper as usual.

"TRUE! JAKE! GET OVER HERE AND GIVE YOUR UNCLE A HUG!"

He was still as skinny as his yellow mohawk days, I adored those pictures.

"Hi Uncle Skinner." We said together and Jake raced forward to claim his hug. Then he went over to Aunt Molly and finally Dan. Dan hugged him tightly and asked if Jake wanted to go play outside. Jake jumped up and down, making Goth Dan grin.

"Momma, can I?"

"Sure baby. Have fun."

I sat, quiet and awkward.

"True! Look at you! All grown up! You look just like your mother when I first met her! ...Though, your boobs are smaller. You might grow into them though!"

Ah, Uncle Skinner. The last time I'd seen him I was 11 and just beginning my changes into womanhood. Normally Aunt Molly would come over with Dan so Jake and him could play. Dan was a bit older then us, but he loved our company. Uncle Skinner made it awkward then as he was doing at the dining room table in that moment.

"Yeah," I muttered, mortified. Suddenly I wondered if he could tell what had happened last night.

"And, my, Charlotte, do you look good! Noah, you've let yourself go a little bit, but that's to be expected."

I'd seen pictures of my father when he was twenty. I still thought he looked the same, I couldn't see much of a difference in his appearance. Where was the letting go Skinner spotted?

"Charlotte? Why isn't your daughter more talkative?"

"She takes after me."

Me? Take after my mother? Please.

I was nothing like my mother. She hated me, I just knew it. She always cared about what happened to Jake. I was daddy's little girl, Jake was mommy's little devil.

At least... Until we started school. Then he was just Mom's. Jake was nothing more than property to mom.

The adults broke out the alcohol and the sun started to fade. They started telling stories, reminiscing about the old days.

Dinner was served at 7. Dan and Jake laughed and played little games while they ate, I couldn't help but be jealous. I didn't have anyone to bond with.

I'd lost all my friends to my own head, and it was my fault.

"Do you guys mind if I excuse myself for a minute? I have to use the bathroom." I said shyly.

"Sure, go right ahead."

I went upstairs and dialed Brendon's number.

"Hello?"

"Brendon? It's True."

"Hi True. What's up?"

"I was wondering... Do you feel like going to the clearing again tonight?"

He stuttered out a "yes."

"But tonight, I just want to talk."

I could hear the smile on his voice. "Alright. See you there in a few minutes."

I snuck out of my window, taking my camera with me.

I ran all the way to the clearing, praying he'd find his way.

He did.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eh, I changed my mind. I felt a different breeze for the story. No graphic. Not now.
Do We Feel A Mini-Series Coming Up? [[i think we just might...]]
-Tali.