‹ Prequel: Lies 1-50

True Confessions

Secret Valentine.

"Uncle Levi?"

"True? It's 1 in the morning! What do you need, sweetie?"

"I need to borrow your car."

"Um..."

"Please. I know you have two... and it'll only be for a few days. Please?"

"Alright."

"Great. Thanks. We'll be over in a minute."

"We? And why are you whispering?"

"My friend and I... My parents and Jake are asleep."

"Oh. Well, alright."

He hung up on me then, perplexed at what I was going to do, probably.

I took Brendon's hand in my own and pulled it up to my mouth to kiss it. I let go and continued to pack up my stuff, slowly but in a hurried way all at once.

He rubbed my backed and scratched at it, comforting me into a serene calm that I nearly fell asleep inside.

I turned around and searched his eyes in the dark of the room, fumbling around to hold his body in my arms.

"Tell me that you believe that love can last forever?"

"I do. But I never did before I met you."

"I can't do this... I can't leave my family unless you mean it. Do you?"

"I do. You know how much I love you. How much I want you to be mine, only mine forever and always."

"I know. I love you."

"I love you too."

I turned back towards my few bags and groped around for a pen and a piece of paper. I flicked a lamp on and settled down at my bedside table to write a letter to explain my insanity to my parents.

"Dear Mom, I love you and Dad and Jake so much... But I have found happiness in a way that none of you could give me. Please, please forgive your foolish daughter. -True."

I turned the light back off and slid out of my window, closely followed by Brendon. He held my hand the entire walk to Levi's house. Aunt Natz answered the door and shakily handed me the car keys.

"Promise you'll come back?"

"I swear."

"I love you sweetie. Make good choices."

"I will. I love you too."

Her eyes flickered across Brendon's face and she just smiled at me. Uncle Levi came up behind her and gave us both a smile.

"Have fun. Be safe. We love you."

We nodded and thanked them, then hopped into their car and sped off.

"Where are we going?" I asked Brendon with a sad fascination with the dash.

"Anywhere we can."

"Are you sure we aren't crazy?"

"No. I'm not. But I'd be crazy with you for the rest of my life."

"I'm glad I get to spend my summer with you."

"I'm glad I get to spend any time with you. I love you, True."

I fiddled with the knobs on the radio until I reached a familiar song and looked at him.

"I love you too."
♠ ♠ ♠
"Just Close Your Eyes."