Alex Val

Why am I still alive?

I sat on my bed for about an hour trying to sort my head out as a million thoughts rushed through me, I hated it when people shouted at me especially for things they didn't fully understand - or maybe it was I who didn't understand the whole situation? I sat pondering whilst my anger cooled off; it was annoying because I didn't want to let my anger get the better of me. I heard two quick raps on my door and I jolted in shock, my ears had been accustomed to the silence but then the knock surprised me a little.

"What?" I tried to ask as patiently as possible whilst crossing my legs on the bed.

"It's me - can I come in?" Icis replied just as calmly.

"Okay." I replied drawing back a little to give her room on the bed, she sat on it and began staring at me, her expression firm and rigid.

"So - Christopher, he's quite the charmer isn't he?" She started nodding a little and I knew straight away what this little visit of hers was going to be about. And I had also noticed how charming he could be - too bad I wasn't interested, I needed him to get to where I wanted and that was it.

"He sure is." I replied nonchalantly, she cleared her throat and continued giving me that knowing look filled with confusion.

"Okay have I got something on my face?" I asked slightly irritably.

"No, it's just you - your features, there so like - but you - you're so different." She finished shaking her head and not making any sense what so ever to me. I raised my eyebrows in annoyance; I hated it when people babbled like idiots in front of me expecting me to know what they were talking about. I hated it yet I did it too.

"Look, Christopher - there is nothing and I repeat nothing going on, I've never been down that road with anyone and I'm sure when I do it won't be with a vampire." I added shivering a little and she narrowed her eyes.

"What's wrong with vampires?"

"Considering humans are a vampire's first choice in the food chain I'd say there is plenty wrong about that!" I exclaimed.

"We don't always drink human blood; we can drink animal blood too." She corrected.

"How come you're not drinking mine? How can you resist?" I asked curious all of a sudden.

"We learn control, although your scent is very alluring, but I've smelt better." She grinned; I didn't know whether to be offended or glad.

"Everyone has a different scent?" I asked bewildered.

"Some. We don't get an aroma from some people but others can be strong. The longer you’re a vampire the stronger you're will gets and the easier to resist sometimes." She explained and I nodded every so often.

"You know you say Christopher's evil - well what do you mean by that -" I began unsure how to ask her the question and she cleared her throat - clearly there was a story coming.

"He wasn't always so twisted in the head you know, we all grew up together, we were friends, we were loyal to the king and queen and to each other but there is always one who craves more - much more." She started.

"His power got the better of him." She sighed heavily playing with her fingers.

"What power has he got?" I asked.

"He has a strange but rare power; his ability enables him to gain another's power through blood." She replied and I shot her a confused look.

"He can drain his victim's blood and then gain their power, he always looked down on us all always thinking he was better and one day our fears were confirmed when we found out he was working for the other side - the treacherous scumbag." She replied with disgust and malice in her voice.

"There's an other side?" I asked.

"This is going to sound weird to you because in your eyes all vampires are probably evil but to us there is a good side and a bad. We're part of the good side naturally but there are a group of vampire's who feed off their greed for power and domination. They are the evil ones called the Gamola group run by Vincent Gamola; an ancient yet very cunning vampire who enjoy destroying humans for their own pleasure." She spoke and I shuddered.

"They want to over throw the King and Queen and rule in their place eventually transferring themselves to the human world where they will show no mercy. They want to eliminate most of the humans and take over; they also have werewolves on their side making them a grave danger to us. The group is made up of some dim witted followers and other power thirsty vampire's such as Christopher."

"Oh..." was all I could reply, this was coming to me as a shock, so maybe using Christopher wasn't such a good idea after all he could kill me with a snap of my fingers.

"16 years ago, maybe more or less I can't remember, a fierce battle broke out outside the King's castle, the Gamola's were outnumbered and they all went into hiding. We managed tot rack some down and kill them but others are well hidden we fear Vincent is binding his time getting powerful enough to hit us again. 5 years after that battle Christopher came running back to us telling us he had changed but we can’t trust him. The King and Queen are even to this day suspicious of him but thought it better to keep him on our side where we can watch him then hidden where he could be a threat to us."

"Wow." I blurted out in a whisper, there was a lot going on in this world and I thought my life was messed up!

"So near the start of the battle the King and Queen's child was not safe, we knew we had a pretty good chance of winning but we still feared for the child's safety. They sent her away to live in the human world where no one would think to find her and if they did they would have a hard time finding her - her last name was altered. She was supposed to be returned at the age of 10 but when danger kept popping out of no where we decided it was safer for her to stay in the human world until she was ready to come back. The King and Queen decided that she should be returned just before her 17th birthday where she would come into her powers - which is soon."

"This sounds like a fairytale." I frowned.

"Oh trust me it would make my day if it was. Do you know all the hard work we have to put in?" She sighed.

"We have to find the princess before the Gamola's do, if they find her she could be held ransom for the throne or they could kill her straight away - gain her powers and destroy everything." Icis finished.

"Can you not just trace her like you did last time?" I asked.

"Last time I had a vision of her running in some kind of wood, but the thing is my visions can show the now, the past or the future. So Blake and Ryan were too late, it had already happened...And it was dark so I didn't see her face, or her features and I'm positive it was her." She looked sad.

"You'll find her soon." I added to make her look up at me.

"I sure hope so, the people are getting worried, if the king doesn't deliver the princess soon, they'll think the Gamola's have captured her and chaos will break out in the lands." She whispered.

"Oh." I replied.

"So now you understand why, you have to stay away from him Lexi, he could be dangerous and well to be honest none of us want you to die - especially not at his hands." She smiled touching my hand.

"You mean you and Blake?" I scoffed.

"I've told you before Ryan is just an asshole!" She grinned.

"Hey wait. Why do you not want me to die, I mean I'm a nobody, I'm a stupid human, you could kill me whenever you feel hungry enough so why aren't you? Why am I still alive?" I asked curiously.

"That is a question I am afraid you'll never know the answer to." She laughed getting off my bed.

"That's not fair!" I exclaimed as she walked towards my door and then turned.

"Some day. Some day - when it's easier and clearer to us." She breathed and walked out. I stared after her in confusion, what the hell did that mean?

I pondered for what seemed like hours over what Icis had just told me and I was sure of one thing I would definitely not want to run into Vincent Gamola or any one of his little disciples. I frowned at the thought of having to stay away from Christopher and weighed the possibilities I had left. I could ignore Icis and carry on trying to use Christopher which could get me killed in the process. Or I could stick with these three and Icis had already said she and the other two didn't want me dead.

But then that important question alerted me again,

Why did they not want me to die?

I frowned staring into space when all of a sudden I heard a series of shouts form downstairs, I thought it was Ryan having a tantrum and shouting at someone when a blood curling scream rang through the house.

I froze instantly for a few seconds my heart thudding loudly as I listened with all my might, another scream followed and that was when I sprang up from my bed.

What on Earth was going on?