Alex Val

Freedom?

I already knew this wasn't going to go my way, as I said before nothing ever did, I was unlucky as a tourist stranded in the Sahara desert with no food or water. Nevertheless I braced myself and had plan B worked out over night knowing my father would object.

"You are not going to some stupid trip - I need you here!" He yelled the next morning, his tone harsh and angry but his words came slurred as he staggered from the sofa. I stared at him with a blank expression, never showing any sign of fear, I wasn't scared anymore, and there was no reason to be.

"Mrs Hewbury's getting suspicious you know." It was all I needed to say, I tried to stop myself from flinching as he made an advance towards me swaying dangerously.

"Suspicious hey? Well then -" He breathed, I could smell the stench of alcohol, and my face twisted with disgust. I thought I had gotten through to him and fought to break out in a smile - well once again I was totally wrong.

"Well then we'll move!" He roared, gripping my shoulders angrily.

"Don't you dare think that you can get one over me for one second! I don't give two donkeys about those teachers and what they think!" He growled shaking my shoulders, I backed up trying to worm my way out of his grip when he grabbed my wrist violently.

"You have forgotten that you have little authority!" He screamed, bringing his hand forwards. I tried to cover my face but his hand made contact with my cheek and sent me stumbling backwards onto the floor, my stomach lurched with dread.

"Don't you dare say anything! You're pathetic. You're scum, worthless trash that nobody wants, no wonder you were dumped - you should be dead!" He screamed, his angry words rang around the room for a second. I was so used to these remarks that they never bothered me anymore, they had already done their damage, the hole was as big as it could be, there was nothing left to chip at, it was already eroded. He made an attempt to let his foot make contact with my arm, but he only managed to brush past it and waddled to the kitchen where I heard the draws being opened and slammed.

I rubbed my cheek in an effort to soothe the tingling sensation from the slap and got up abruptly, he was in the kitchen - this was my chance. I grabbed my bag that contained everything that I needed and I ran for the front door, not stopping I yanked the door open and shut it quietly. Once I was in the sanctuary of the streets I broke into a hasty run towards the school - not looking back once. Even when I glanced back at the town which was looking smaller and smaller whilst I sat on the coach - I still didn't feel safe, because I knew how conniving he[/] could be.

So when we finally reached our destination - in the middle of nowhere right outside a wood, my stomach had settled and my mind was at rest.

"Tents? You expect me to sleep in one of those things?" Some girl whined behind me as we all put up our tents. She sighed heavily and stomped her foot in anger.

"It's either that or the earthy floor - take your pick." Came another voice before someone stalked past me, they bumped shoulders with me really hard - was I invisible?

____________________________________

The tents were made, the day had whizzed by; spent examining bugs and some kids daring one another to eat one, but I had stood watching in the distance like I didn't even exist. The area we were camping in was quite nice, it was in a field on the edge of a big wood, we weren't allowed to go in there...yet. Finally the night came, faint sounds of bugs and birds hummed from the woods and light chatter surrounded me as we all sat around a big camp fire. I sat on the edge, my thoughts overpowering me, I was thinking of what to do next, how to do it and what I was going to do once I was free.

"Alexandria, dear are you okay?" Mr Elm asked, he was an elderly man and always called me "dear." I double took at his acknowledgement of me; I guess I wasn't so invisible then.

"Uh yeah, I'm just tired, and my name is Alex, is it okay if I go back to my tent, I think I have a headache coming on?" I asked my mind working quick.

"Sure dear sure." He replied walking off.

Freedom was looming ever so closer, as I took hurried steps towards my tent which thankfully was one of the ones closest to the woods. I dived in and grabbed my bag, half shutting the tent I stepped back and slowly blended back against the shadows of the dark trees. Taking one last sweeping look at the camp fire, I tightened my grip on the torch and burst into a steady run. Like I had figured - no one had noticed my disappearance, they would probably realise that I wasn't present a few days later, but hey I didn't care, this was my chance to get away. At the thought of being caught, I started to run faster until my feet started to hurt, I was well into the wood now and my torch was beginning to flicker annoyingly. The sound of leaves rustling as the wind whipped past them enveloped my ears, the wind bit at my face and caused my nose to turn cold as I raced through the wood.

I occasionally stopped but kept telling myself that I had to move forwards, I had to carry on, so when I was completely tired I stopped to take some breaths and some rest, I saw a clearing ahead and decided to sleep there for one night. I approached the clearing, breathing in and out deeply when I heard voices. I stopped my breath for a second or two just to hear the voices clearly.

At first they were hushed, but as I moved forwards and wedged myself between a bush and a tree, kneeling towards the edge of the clearing I listened intently and hoped they go away soon!

Two tall figures loomed in the shadows,

"They are here, I can smell them. Pathetic dogs." A deep voice spoke, so quietly.

"Well I'm going; I don't want to get caught up in this. I'm sorry but you're on your own. We can't mess around now, we have to find her before it's too late, the king won't be very happy if the other side gets hold of her, keep alert." The other one said. I furrowed my brows, king? These people probably belonged to some dodgy gangs.

I swallowed and continued eavesdropping. And then the most peculiar thing happened, I blinked in frustration, my eyes had to have deceived me, this couldn't be true. I must have a pretty good imagination to imagine it, and since I didn't have a good imagination I was sure this was real and happening right before my eyes. The one who had spoke last muttered something and a shiny hole appeared in mid air. It emitted a silvery glow which illuminated the trees nearby, I ducked my head to keep hidden but still kept my eyes fixed on the same spot. Before I could swallow what I had just seen, the man stepped forwards and into the hole, a few seconds later he and the hole both disappeared. I gasped in amazement and confusion and knew at that instant that I was in trouble.

"Well, well well, what do we have here? Are you spying on me...did they send you?" He whispered into my ear, I gasped again with horror, that man was just in the clearing a second ago, how did he get behind me so quickly?

I spun round so fast and backed away into the clearing, my palms beginning to sweat.

"I - no, no, I wasn't spying, nobody sent me." I tried, but my voice was soft and weak, I couldn't keep the pleading tone out of it. As I backed slowly away, with each step I took, he took one in return. I cursed in my mind for my lack of competence, I was so close in getting away. A faint rustling sound started to come from all around us, we both stopped dead, I glanced around nervously listening, whereas he seemed to know exactly what was coming. The rustling was followed by a low rumbling sound, it sounded like growling, my heart began to pound and the man looked at me almost as if he could hear it thumping.

I couldn't see his face properly but when he glanced at me, I caught his eyes, they were radiating a dim green glow and were almost hypnotic, his eyes then narrowed and he turned, springing through the air he landed a few feet away. He was looking in the same direction, at the same place where he was expecting something to turn up and he was quite right. Suddenly, the leaves rustled louder and out stepped three forms, I squinted trying to see what they were and held in another gasp to see three dogs. They looked like dogs but they were larger, furrier, grizzlier and angrier. They were wolves.

I stared at the back of the mans head, he looked unmoved by the arrival of the three hungry looking wolves.

"Idel, Vankah, Herope, kind of you to join us..."

"We wouldn't miss a chance to rip you into shreds Ryan..." One of the wolves growled.

My mind span so fast I felt my legs shake, I shook my head, animals didn't talk, animals couldn't talk, this wasn't happening, maybe I was delirious? I stood back shocked reliving the memory back inside my head, the wolf had spoken, it had in fact spoken.

Before I knew it, one of the wolves lunged at Ryan, it soared through the air, its coat shaking in the wind, I opened my mouth to scream in terror but it got caught in my throat as Ryan lunged forwards too sending the wolf plunging backwards. It's body slammed against a tree and it slid down howling in pain. The next wolf gnashed its teeth and growled angrily at Ryan, as it set to attack him the final wolf had centered its attention towards me, it growled louder then ever and sprung towards me. This time I let out a frightening scream, it rang through the air and I naturally covered my head protectively, at my last glance, I saw Ryan knock the wolf down and then turn to confront the wolf coming for me.

I was scared to the core now, my whole body shook with fear and then I felt that same feeling I had felt countless times before, I knew what was coming next. Something surged through me, and narrowed down to my fingertips, something warm protruded from my fingertips and soared around me covering me in my own bubble. My eyes snapped open quickly and I looked to see the wolf hit the bubble with full force, it was throw backwards and it hit the floor causing the ground to shake. I felt my energy draining and I let my hands down immediately my eyes never leaving the tree figures slumped on the floor now, they were groaning and moving, but something else was happening, they were changing shape, they weren't like wolves anymore.

My head bent towards Ryan who stared at me in utter shock, his eyes staring wildly, his pale face no longer concealed in the shadows. The wolves had completely changed now, I looked to see two men and a woman on the floor, covered in scratches and blood.

"What the hell?" I shouted seeing three human bodies on the floor, my brain couldn't comprehend this, this was not normal.

"What the hell?" I shouted again as fear and terror raced through me.

This was not how I planned my get-a-way to be.