Alex Val

Nice shorts.

I couldn't sleep. Though my eyes were laced with fatigue and my muscles ached for rest, my mind was alert and aware of everything right now which wasn't allowing me to relax and to go to sleep. I glanced at the clock anxiously and turned on the bed wishing I could unwind but it was easier said than done. My mind kept replaying the events from today and I shuddered every time I remembered how close I came to death yet again. It was odd thinking about it, not only a few days ago I would have welcomed death but now I understood what a fool I was. Finally I sat up on my bed and sighed heavily - maybe a walk will show my brain how tired I really am and enable me to fall asleep? I tip toed down the stairs as darkness loomed in every corner, I was accustomed to it so it didn't bother me now. I heard a creak and stopped dead waiting for another sound, when nothing came I continued moving until I reached the floor below me.

"Where are you going?" His words came out as a whisper from my side and startled me; I let out a low gasp but then regained myself as I saw the familiar ghostly glow of Ryan's face vaguely in the shadows.

"Can't sleep - going for a walk." I muttered quickly watching as his eyes narrowed briefly, he turned towards his own door before he stopped and turned back to me again.

"I'm sorry you almost got killed today." He said quietly I almost missed it. What was this? Ryan was giving me an apology?

"It was not fair for you to be dragged into our battles." He spoke again, I saw his eyebrows arch together and furrow slightly and his expression looked pained as he spoke.

"Don't worry about Caleb - he will not get anywhere near you again and we will try not to put you in danger again but of course we can only do so much…" He continued and I wondered where this strange new Ryan was coming from? I had only known him to be harsh, violent and mean but this was weird, maybe I could get him to sympathise with me while he was being nice - it was worth a shot.

"Let me go then - please." I pleaded through a faint whisper but as soon as my words reached his ears his face changed, his expression morphed into that cold and hard as stone setting and his lips pressed tightly together.

"That is out of the question." He said quickly.

"Oh and one more thing - remember, stay away from Christopher." I watched his green eyes roll slightly as he turned his back to me again. I sighed in annoyance and pondered over his last statement, he said it as if I was the one running to Christopher! I crept back to my room and fell on my bed with another sigh, was this all my life was going to be now? I turned onto my side blinking once and then looking out at the balcony, my eyes slowly closed but within that split second some movement in the shadows caused my eyes to snap wide open again. I sat up right in a defensive manner as my heart rocketed all over the place when Christopher stepped forwards a warm smile playing on his lips. Instinct ordered me to bolt upwards and towards my door, fight or flight and I chose flight, I managed to get a grip on the handle and yank it open but a firm hand slammed it shut again and I shuddered.

Naturally he would be quicker than me - why had I even bothered? I slowly turned attempting to play it cool and tried to hide the fear growing in my eyes.

"Oh - Christopher!" I let out a small gasp.

"Why did you run away from me?" His cool breath tickled my cheeks; he let his hand slide down the door until it was level with my head.

"I thought you were someone else." I tried to lie but I bet it was obvious, I bet it was showing crystal clear through my expression, I mentally kicked myself.
"Is that the truth?" He insisted the back of his long finger trailing down my cheek now, I wanted to kick and scream and shout for help right now but something told me that was not playing it cool. I needed to act calm and lead him off.

"I've been trying to see you all day Lexi and I've been doing some thinking." He decided not to wait for me to answer - just as well too because my brain was freezing up.

"S-some thinking, about what?" My voice came out bleak and too high pitched, I tried to steady it but he noticed and narrowed his eyes slightly.

"About you - and me." He whispered, his nose was almost touching my cheek now and I was sure he heard the rhythm of my heart accelerate.

"Oh, um really?" I was still failing at trying to play it cool.

"Yes, what's the matter with you? You don't look very happy to see me." He asked firmly and I cringed away from his stare. Well of course I'm not happy to see you! I thought mentally.

"Of course I'm happy to see you, I'm just tired you see - really, really tired, can we do this another day please?" I asked sweetly faking a big yawn and making it seem like the effort to keep my eyes open was the hardest thing ever.

He let out a low chuckle and pressed his forehead against mine.

"Tired." He mumbled softly, silence followed but the contact he was making was starting to make me feel uncomfortable to my pleasure it was broken with three hard raps on the door - he straightened up instantly.

"Lexi? Can I come in?" We heard Blake's voice from the other side. I was sure the look of relief was also giving me away as I let out a sigh and looked towards Christopher waiting for him to leave.

"N-not yet, I'm changing." I bit my lip scurrying about.

Christopher let out a small growl before he glided towards the balcony, turning once he nodded towards me before disappearing once again into the shadows; I shuddered and groaned knowing that he would be back. I let my door open slowly and watched Blake narrow his eyes, he took a swift thorough glance at my room before his eyes were on me again.

"Uh just came to say hi." He spoke distracted as his eyes swept my room once more - no doubt he had heard someone and was checking up on me now.

"Right well hello." I replied quietly.

"Are you okay?" He asked stepping forwards to take another look at my room.

"I'm fine." I rolled my eyes.

"Well good night then and oh -" He stopped halfway turning to me he grinned stupidly.

"Nice shorts." He laughed walking away. I closed the door and examined my shorts; they were light blue with yellow ducks on them.

Climbing back into my bed there was only one pressing issue on my mind and that was Christopher, I knew he would be back and I was trying to see why. I had a feeling Icis was right - Christopher was trouble. I would have to tell him to leave me alone. How he would take it I didn't know. Would he actually leave me alone? I didn't know.

The real question was what was his motive?