Alex Val

The ring.

Sleep did eventually come - but at a price, I twisted and turned in my bed as the nightmare in my mind etched on.

I was walking down a narrow path trees and leaves surrounding me, every now and then I would stumble over an overgrown branch or a wild weed coiled on the ground. I felt lost and alone but more importantly confused - why was I here?

I could vaguely see the figures of tress in front of me but that was it, the whole forest was consumed in a tint of grey darkness that was compelling and mysterious. I carried on stumbling through the shadows trying to find another route - some form of escape but it was no use. I was going around in circles and I was stuck.


Taking a big gulp of air I felt I'd been deprived of for such a long time, my eyes opened fast and I looked around me, my shoulders relaxed at the familiarity of my room - no trees here. I glanced at the clock expecting it to be morning - and it was morning just not later enough. The clock read 3.43 am.

I allowed the nightmare to fall through the holes of my memory and got out of my bed where the comforter had wound its way around me. I turned the light on and glanced around before sighing heavily.

It seemed I was never at rest or was never allowed to be at rest, I grit my teeth angrily sitting back on my bed when something shiny caught my attention, and I squinted my eyes to see a shimmering piece of metal glitter up at me from the balcony floor.

It was a ring. I picked it up and examined the cold silver surface, I let my fingers feel the hard stone beneath the tips and then smooth over the tiny little red sparkles engraved within it. I arched my eyebrows trying to think of a logical reason as to why this beautiful ring would be on the floor of my balcony. My eyes trailed back to the floor where a crumpled up piece of paper lay - how could I have missed that?! I opened it and read it.

Every sparkle, shine and glitter marks the twinkle of your face in my heart.
Please wear this.
Love Christopher.


I tried to stifle a laugh but it was no use, my mouth opened and I was laughing - laughing at his words, those strange words, those vomit worthy words. Of course I wasn't going to wear it, but what was I going to do with it? I twirled it around my fingers examining every inch of it; it wouldn't hurt to try it on though would it? If you place a ring in front of someone they would obviously be tempted to try it on - or does that just go for girls? Yes. I'd try it on - take it off and then tell Christopher that it wasn't going to work between us. Something was telling me that, that wouldn't go down too well - maybe I could tell him that I was really a man that could work. I slipped the ring onto third finger of my right hand and brought my hand up to the light to get a full look. The stones shimmered warmly and I smiled - it was a beautiful ring.

After a few seconds, I walked towards the bathroom pushing at the ring to get it off, to my horror it didn't budge. I squirmed with all my might pushing the ring with force trying to get it off but it didn't even move a tiny fraction. My stomach lurched and my heart thumped in fear as I raced into the bathroom. I scrubbed soap all over my hand attempting to slide the ring off but again - it did nothing but stay in its place. I struggled against it, angry that a mere object was coming out victorious! Finally I let my hand down and calmed myself down - it was just a ring, it couldn't hurt me! But then I began to feel a light burning and tingling sensation creep onto my finger, I pulled at it again and froze when I caught a glimpse of something unnatural in the mirror. When I say unnatural I mean - it wasn't just my reflection that I saw in the mirror!

I yelped backwards as the face that I had seen standing behind me haunted the corners of my brain; I spun around to see nothing behind me. Panting I slowly turned my head towards the mirror again and that was when my heart flipped out of rhythm for the second time today. There staring back at me with wild deep red eyes that contained a poisonous rage was a face so twisted and contorted that I knew it was real - my imagination couldn't have dreamt this one up. I let out a scream as a rush of terror filled me, spinning around again my eyes met nothing but the usual tiles of the bathroom, I looked around me shuddering expecting to see it pop out of thin air again. As if it knew my every move I turned right and let out an ear piercing scream as I stared into those vicious deep red eyes, my whole body shook as I fell to the floor and covered my head in an attempt to keep safe.

Minutes passed and my scream died down, tears threatened to spill as I kept my ears and head covered, I waited for complete silence and for the chance to calm down so I could run. My head jolted upwards and I was glad to see nothing out of the ordinary present just yet. The door slammed shut loudly and I shouted pounding my fists on it.

"Open the door!" I screamed at no one, why had the door shut? I tried to block out all the dreadful possibilities that were ringing in my mind long enough to think of something helpful towards my very unfortunate situation! I gave up kicking at the door and tried to take deep even breaths, I had to be hallucinating! I ran to the small window - it was big enough for me to crawl through just about so I pushed at it, some old paint wore away as I pushed. Once it un-lodged the cool air from outside rippled in sending shivers down my spine, I stared out into the darkness when I was sent hurtling backwards. My back hit the wall and I groaned loudly at the pain that now shot through me, opening my eyes I let out another scream of absolute terror at the thing before me.

It was a monster - no a terrifying monster - an ugly, horrific, twisted monster, I covered my ears to block out it's malicious laughter, the sounds echoed around the bathroom filling every one of my veins making me shake with fear. I couldn't get myself to look away from it, I felt if I did it would have me in a second, I tried to scramble to my feet but my legs were quivering like jelly. Before I could get a hold of myself it got a hold of me in a second. It gripped my shoulders tightly and I screamed some more as I looked into those inhuman deep red eyes and that face - that frightening face. I was being lifted up, my bum no longer touched the ground and to my surprise neither were my feet, I dangled and struggled my body frozen with cold and fear. Letting my eyes close I screamed again.

I was petrified but still I compelled myself to fight back, I curled my fists and brought them back and then swung them forwards afraid of how this monster's skin would feel. My fists hit nothing. I felt myself drop to the ground landing on my feet I looked around panic racing through my every vessel. The door stood wide opened and the bathroom held no monster, I was confused - what the hell was happening? I didn't want to stay to work that one out - I needed to get out of here. I bolted through the open door and yanked my bedroom door open, not caring about falling or toppling I stumbled down the stairs noisily trying to get as far as possible.

I reached the next floor and then continued for the stairs, my foot reached the first step when those piercing red eyes locked on mine from the bottom. I couldn't resist a scream, this monster was terrifying, and I quickly retreated turning around. I ran down the hallway aware of my loud footsteps leaving a thud. Nothing but darkness consumed me as I continued running but somewhere in my mind I knew this hallway would stop soon and so would I and that would give the monster a chance to find me - to get me. Maybe it already knew where I was or where I was headed to? I felt the same cold hands grip my neck from behind and I fell forwards hitting my face on the floor as the cold laughter filled my ears once more. I spluttered and kicked backwards but my feet hit nothing but air. Getting up again I raced at top speed forwards ignoring the throbbing pain in my nose when I hit something else and two cool hands wrapped around me to keep me still.

"Let me go!" I screamed panic and fear crushing me from every side, my eyes hurt as every light in the house came on and the area around me became apparent. I was outside Ryan's room, I looked around me in fear waiting for the thing to come back - I had to get away.

"What the hell Lexi?" Ryan shouted over my hysterical sobs and shouts, his grip tightened as I began to elbow and kick at him, I was in a frenzy to get away form this place!

"Let me go! It's coming! I need to get out of here!" I wailed trying to stop the waterfall of tears now spurting out of my eyes.

"What? What's happened? Stop moving!" Ryan shouted over my voice again, he was trying to get me to be still but there wasn't enough time! I carried on fighting against him. My ears picked up that same cold laughter but I couldn't pin point the source so instead I screamed again to drown it out.

"It's here! Let me go! Let me go!" I howled attempting to hit Ryan again when Icis and Blake showed up.

"Ryan what the hell's going on?" Icis asked shocked, she ran over and tried to calm my screaming self.

"Icis I have no idea - she's gone insane!" Ryan growled but all I could properly hear was that laughter and it was getting closer and closer and so was my death I could feel it. I drew my foot forwards and then yanked it backwards making contact with Ryan's groin. He doubled over for a second and his hands loosened, I squirmed out from under him and darted towards the stairs, I took them 3 at a time falling and tumbling as I went. I could hear them all shouting at me from behind but I was concentrating on getting away. I was also aware of the new sets of footsteps - nobody wanted me to get away!

"She's going for the door!" Blake shouted once my feet touched level ground, I threw it open and my body hit the cold air quickly as I ran out onto the grass.

"What has gotten into you?" Icis wailed after me.

But they didn't know. They didn't know the horror, the terror the monster that was after me, I felt uneasy and scared as I carried on running my legs starting to hurt now. All of a sudden my body hit some invisible wall; it glowed green before I was thrown through the air backwards. I landed on my back again and this time I screamed out in pain, my bones and muscles tingled and ached.

"Lexi, Lexi! Are you hurt?" I could heard Icis shout but it sounded distant and faint, I opened my eyes slowly and regretted so as I stared back into those very same terrifying deep red ones.

"You're mine now." It snarled heavily before I could let out another scream, it engulfed my throat with two of its slimy hands and I spluttered gasping for air. I struggled and kicked but I felt paralysed under its hateful stare, I writhed as my body weakened and my breath was squeezed out of me.

Was I going to die?