Alex Val

Fake sympathy.

I was trying to tune her voice out, my mind was constantly flickering from devising escape roots to whether I had finally cracked and gone mad yet still I managed to tag along behind her and nod vacantly to her comments. I could jump into a portal after one of them, land in the real world and get the hell out of there but this plan had evident flaws. One - getting through the portal was easier said than done, two - they would catch me before I even made a stupid move and three - if I miraculously did get out into the other world they would have me before I could even blink. I gave up and sighed, finally Icis's voice was sounding closer and louder as I tuned back in.

"Right we're on the second floor now, Blake's rooms across there, the one with the black door, Ryan's is next door and that is the room we started in, the calm room."

I nodded briefly before biting my lip nervously, so these people drank blood - they were vampires so what was stopping them from attacking me? Why was I still alive?

We walked up the stairs to a corridor which was all white with just one door at the bottom; it was white as well and looked locked. Seemed to me that that door was supposed to look hidden or camouflage against the white.

"What's down there?" I asked?

"Well, um Ryan doesn't like us going in there, just forget you ever saw it, now lets go to the 4th floor to my room!" she smiled.

The fourth floor was huge it had Icis' room, a bathroom, another games room, a comfort room, a weapons room, a fighting room and a mini kitchen. Why the need for all of the rooms? For three vampires they sure needed a lot of activities to keep them occupied. Maybe that was a good thing; they'd be too occupied to eat me.

"And the top floors your room, the attic and a random cellar and that's about it." She finally finished looking bored - but not half as bored as I was.

"Great." I replied sarcastically...

"Hey can I ask you some questions..." She insisted. What about my questions? No one wanted to answer them!

"I think I'm going to sleep I'm tired." I quickly said sprinting to my room and closing the door just narrowly escaping an answer and question round.

I looked around the room and sat down on my bed with a sigh. Was this my life now? Cooped up inside a house with three beings that could eat me at any moment in time, kill me in a split second or torture me if they wanted to. Well, Ryan was the only one who was acting aggressively towards me and for that I didn't know or didn't care why.

I laid back on my bed and closed my eyes trying to clear my mind. I wanted to gather everything I knew and apply it to find some sort of explanation or theory as to why my life was going the way it was. My mind cleared for a few moments before past memories shot through causing me to roll on my bed. I was not fond of these memories but once they popped up they had to be replayed and remembered.

-- I was 8 years old as I came home from school my foster dad lashed out on me screaming and shouting obscenities at me, he grabbed a lamp and smashed it against my arm; the cuts are still only slightly visible.

I was 11 and it was the morning of a school trip, I was excited but my foster dad had to phone in saying i was sick, while I lay in my bed trying to nurse my broken ribs.

I was 14 and was late home from school finding my foster dad in a mess he pushed me against the wall and punched me repeatedly.

I was 16, my foster dad tried to hit me again, I hit him back so he grabbed a knife and tried to stab me, and I fell back out of a window, breaking my neck and legs. --


I relived the memories until I felt myself being shaken violently, it was as if my mind was stuck repeating these memories over and over again, the screams the shouts the ache, the pain kept hitting me over and over again - how much more could I take without breaking? I scrunched up my expression and let out a scream, I wanted them to go - get out of my head.

I regained myself and opened my eyes to see a blurred person in front of me.

It was Ryan, his expression looking worried, but seeing my eyes open he quickly changed his expression.

"You've been screaming for an hour now." He said.

I tried to get up but he pushed me down again, this was awkward and embarrassing, Ryan was in my room peering over me looking worried in nothing but a pair of shorts. Great.

"What time is it?" I whispered finally relaxing my shoulders into the pillow.

"Late. Everyone's been asleep for 3 hours or so, I was in - I mean I was walking by and heard you." he stated.

"Oh." I said looking away embarrassed and trying to conceal the pink tinge crawling up my cheeks - why was I so stupid?

"You just kept screaming and shouting." He began.

"Once or twice you yelled stop it." He narrowed his eyes.

I bit my lip trying to stop the tears that had been locked up for so long from pouring down my cheeks, this was not the time to cry and he was not the person to cry in front of.

I had learnt to make myself like ice, solid and cold, people were just there to mock you, they didn't care and now I felt the ice melting.

I felt his cold on my shoulder as he turned me to face him.

"W-what happened?" He asked, concern shining his eyes...

My eyes glistened with tears, but I tried my best not to let them fall, I tried to turn my head away again but his grip was too strong.

"Tell me." He growled.

I hesitated.

"Please?" I still hesitated.

"What happened to you?" He asked but his calm and caring voice was a delusion, this was surely not the Ryan that waltzes around here threatening me every second and acting like a violent jerk. I had not forgotten the reason that I was here and as long as I remained here I couldn't be nice to him - he kidnapped me!

"I don't need your fake sympathy or your false pity, you kidnapped me and refuse to let me go and now you want to know what happened to me? Well if it's all so simple like that then I'll tell you! I was abused! For 16 years I've been fine so I don't need your spurious empathy, I was fine living through it all and now I'm fine here! So get out of here! Go! And leave me alone!" I yelled.

"I really don't get you!" He screamed back.

"What's there not to get? I'm human therefore I am pathetic and weak - you said so yourself!" I exclaimed a little quieter but it could still be considered a shout.

"Suit yourself! Go right ahead scream every night, I don't give a donkeys arse! In fact while you're at it, go jump off that balcony you waste of space!" He growled before stomping out of my room never failing to slam the door shut.

I breathed deeply and blinked - what the hell just happened?