The Lips That Made Me Fly

Early Breakfasts

2 Months Later

I woke up in the middle of the night fighting off the urge to puke; again.

For the past week, I had had a slight case of the stomach flu, and to tell you the truth, I was getting absolutely tired of it.

The feeling wasn’t going away, so I decided to get up and find some medicine to take. I threw my covers off of me, and looked at the clock. The bright green numbers read 6:13 AM, and I groaned, knowing I wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep for the rest of the day.

I found a bottle of Tums in my medicine cabinet, and took a few before gong back to my bedroom. I flopped back onto my bed, and just stared at the ceiling. I looked over to the other half of the bed, and sighed, knowing that Alex wouldn’t be back in that spot for another month and a half.

I turned over to my nightstand, and grabbed my phone off of its charger. I sent Pandora a text, knowing that she’d already be awake, and waited for her reply.

Instead of getting a text from her, I got a call.

“Hey love,” she said as soon as I answered the phone.

“Hey,” I said as I sat up in bed.

“So what gives me the pleasure of hearing from you this early in the morning? You usually sleep until at least 9.”

“This stupid flu keeps waking me up,” I said sadly, “But hey, we should go to Village Inn for breakfast.”

“Like now?”

“That works,” I said standing up out of bed, “I’ll throw some clothes on and then come get you.”

“See you soon,” she said before hanging up.

I quickly threw on a pair of skinny jeans and a v-neck, before throwing my hair up into a ponytail and making my way downstairs. I grabbed my hoody from the peg by the door, and was on my way to Pandora’s house in no time.

As soon as I pulled up in front of her house, she was bounding out to my car smiling. I unlocked the door for her, and she got in giving me a peppy greeting. I just laughed, and tried to return the peppiness, but ultimately failed.

The ride to Village Inn was mostly silent, only the occasionally road rage outburst from me, and Pandora’s laughter towards them.

Once we were in Village Inn and seated, we both picked up our menus trying to decide what to order. Normally I would order the Southern Skillet, but today I was feeling pancakes and a mushroom omelet.

“Hi I’m Denise, I’ll be your waiter for the day,” an older lady said as she approached our table, “Are you ready to order, or do you need a few minutes.”

“I think we’re ready,” Pandora said earning a nod from me, “I’ll have the French toast with coffee.”

“I’ll have an order of pancakes and a mushroom and olive omelet,” I said as I handed my menu to the waitress, “Oh and a cranberry juice.”

The lady told us our orders would be out shortly, and we thanked her. I decided to look at the pie menu while we waited, but soon felt Pandora looking at me. I looked up at her, and she had a confused expression on her face.

“What?” I asked as I placed the pie menu down.

“You hate mushrooms, and pancakes,” she said looking at me oddly, “Why’d you order them?”

“They sound delicious right now,” I said shrugging and thinking nothing of it.

“And you’ve been waking up sick for how long now?” she said trying to hint at something.

“A week or so,” I said not understanding what she was getting at, “Pandora, what the hell are you trying to say.”

“Put two and two together Katy,” Pandora said giving me a stern look, “Morning sickeness, strange cravings, and I’m guessing you feel bloated too.”

“How the hell do you know that,” I said shocked, “I didn’t even tell you that my pants felt tight this morning!”

“Katy I’m just going to ask you something, and promise you won’t get mad.”

“Alright, I promise.”

“Is there any way that you could be pregnant?” she said trying to keep her voice quiet.

“What, no!” I said shocked, “Well, I mean… Actually, I don’t know.”

I crossed my arms on the table, and rested my head onto them. I tried to think if there was anyway I could be pregnant, but was coming up blank. Sure, Alex and I had slept together, but we always made sure to use protection.

Then it hit me.

When we got drunk in Vegas, there was no way of knowing if we had used any sort of protection.

“Hey Pandora,” I said lifting my head up.

“Yeah Katy?” she said looking concerned.

“Can we go get some tests after this? I think I might actually be pregnant.”

“Of course babe,” she said softly smiling.

I returned her smile half heartedly, and Denise shortly returned with our food. We
immediately dug in, and were soon out the door and on our way to Walgreens.

“I’ll be right back, okay?” I said as I parked the car.

“Alright, I’ll be here,” she said as she turned on the radio.

I walked into the store, thankful that it wasn’t busy, and went straight to the pregnancy tests. I grabbed 3 different ones, before paying and going back to the car.

The drive to my house was fast, probably because I was slightly speeding, and we were soon back at my house.

“Hey I’m gonna go do this real quick,” I said as I stood by the stairs.

“Alright, I’ll just watch TV and wait with you,” Pandora said as we went upstairs.

While she sat on my bed and turned the TV, I went into the bathroom and the tests out of the bag. I read the instructions for each individual test, before starting them. Once they were all done, I walked back into the room, and started the longest 10 minutes of my life.

“I don’t think this time could go any slower,” I said as I leaned back into the pillows on my bed.

“Well, you only have 3 minutes left,” Pandora said trying to make things less stressed, “What are you going to do if you are pregnant?”

“Honestly, I have no idea,” I said sighing, “I mean, sure I love kids and all, but I don’t know if it’s my time. And it surely isn’t a great time for Alex. I wouldn’t want him to have to put his dreams on hold for my mistake.”

“It wouldn’t just be your mistake, Katy. You were both drunk,” Pandora said slightly scolding me.

“I know, but just ugh!” I said covering my face with my hands.

“Well, you can go see your fate now,” Pandora said, “It’s been 10 minutes.”

I reluctantly stood up, and walked as slow as I could into the bathroom. Before I read the tests, I closed my eyes and drew in a deep breath. Once my heartbeat had slowed a little, I reopened my eyes and checked the first test. Then the second, And finally the third.

Every one of them said positive.

I was so overwhelmed, that all I could do was cry. I slid down the bathroom wall, and curled into a ball, sobbing my eyes out. Pandora must have heard my thump to the floor, and was immediately by my side.

“Sh, Katy, it will be fine,” she said pulling me into a hug.

“No it’s not Pandora, it’s never going to be okay,” I said crying even harder, “How am I going to tell Alex? He’s going to hate me!”

“He could never hate you honey,” Pandora said in an attempt to cheer me up, “Come on, lets get you into bed.”

I just sniffled in response, and stood up. We walked back into the bedroom, and I went and got a pair of sweatpants out of my dresser, before putting them on. I crawled into bed, and curled up into the fetal position.

I laid like this for the longest time, with Pandora watching TV beside me. I had a feeling that it was close to night time, because my phone was ringing off of the hook. I grabbed it, and wasn’t sure whether or not to answer, after seeing Alex’s name flash across the screen.

“Just answer it,” Pandora said as she saw my hesitation.

“Alright fine,” I said hitting the talk button, “Hello?”

“Hey babe,” I heard Alex’s smooth voice say on the other line.

“Hey sweetheart,” I said sounding as happy as I could at the moment.

“How are you?”

“I’m not too bad, just tired,” I said not completely lying, “This flu is just wearing me out.”

“Awh do you want me to let you go?” He said sounding concerned.

“No, it’s fine,” I said curling back up into a ball, “So how’s tour going?”

“It’s going good, the crowds are even more responsive than last time,” he said sounding giddy.

“That’s good sweetie!” I said smiling.

He continued to tell me about his tour, and I sat there listening as well as I could. Pandora whispered that she was going, so I gave her a small wave and she was gone.

“Katy, are you still there?”

“Huh? Oh yeah, sorry sweetheart,” I said snapping back to reality, “I just zoned out there for a minute.”

“It’s okay. But I’m going to let you sleep. I love you Katy,” Alex said sounding sweeter than he ever had.

“I love you too Alex, more than you’ll ever know,” I said fighting back tears.

“Bye Katy.”

“Goodbye Alex,” I said as he hung up, “I’m so sorry.”

I let the tears fall onto my cheeks, and immediately wiped them away. I got up from my bed, and made my way into my closet.

I grabbed my suitcases from the top shelf, and immediately started shoving all of my clothes into them. After that was all done, I went into the bathroom, and piled all of my stuff into a smaller duffle.

Seeing as Alex had moved in after the last tour, I had to make sure that I didn’t take any of his stuff. I made sure to only grab my stuff, and was soon done.

Once all of my bags were packed, I slid them down the stairs, and drug them out to my car. I piled them all into my car, before making my way into the house, and sitting down at the kitchen table.

I grabbed a pad of paper and a pen, before pouring my heart into my final goodbye to Alex.

Alex,

I love you, and I hope one day you’ll understand why I had to do this. I love you with all of my heart, don’t question that, but I didn’t want to break your heart. I’m leaving tonight, but please, don’t come looking for me. It will only end up hurting you more. Please don’t hate me for doing this, I can barely stand myself for doing this right now. I know we’ll both be torn up about this, but who’s to say that there isn’t something better out there for you.

I’ll always miss the lips that made me fly.

Katy <3


Once I had finished the letter, the page had a few tears staining it. I tried my best to wipe them away, but only ended up smearing the heart I had drawn. I folded the letter and sat it on the counter, before making my way outside to my car.

I took one final look at the place I called home, before throwing my car into reverse and driving away.

That night I did something I always swore I would never do.

I left the love of my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the first story I've ever finished.
I feel really accomplished.

THERE IS A SEQUEL!!!
It's posted, but has no parts yet :D

COMMENTS?!?!